• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check your amex offers homies;

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.29.59 PM.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a big reason i thrift , there is no value in the shipping *tax* it bites both producers and consumers

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I may be an outlier but I hate packing items and going to the post office so much that I don't shop experimentally online even if returns are free. Maybe this is because I'm in the nyc area and can wait to try most things on at a store. I'm definitely more likely to shop at an online store if the regular shipping is free though.
Nope, hate any sort of back-and-forth hassle, even if that means a courier will come to pick it up.
I don't mind sending things back - I have a shipping service at my office with no lines and all supplies readily available. I think it's more the build up to buy something over a few weeks, obsessing over it, then eventually it arrives and I'm disappointed it doesn't fit / feel how I want it to. I usually only order things I'm 95% sure I am going to keep.
I honestly don't really like shopping in person. Whenever I found myself in like a New York or a LA at like Jeffey's, a Barneys, a Saks, whatever, I honestly have had more experiences in the past where I've been left cold and disappointed with the offerings than not. I distinctly remember being at a Barneys and checking out a Raf collection there, it was my first time seeing the brand in person, and just being really really disappointed. I typically don't like interacting with sales reps, don't like to be in crowded places, and have never connected with this idea of retail spaces "telling stories" or whatever.
I think shopping at Department Stores is largely underwhelming, but that's why boutiques exist - more tailored experiences (whatever that means). I've historically bought the majority of my clothes from boutiques, with about ~75% being local. I think if I lived somewhere like NYC / LA / Paris / Tokyo or wherever, I'd probably shop exclusively in person.

Yeah i agree with that. There aren't many shops i've visited and loved, and those that I have (Seattle Totokaelo, NY DSM) are more so because they have something specific I've wanted to check out in person.
But I want sales people to leave me alone and be available IF I have questions. Toto was good at that, a lot of places just follow me around and chime in when as soon I pick something up (oh what size you need? You want me to start a changing room? Jerry Van Ash is really cool huh?)
It's funny - I hated Totokaelo for the cold, indifferent, cooler than thou treatment the Sales Associates gave customers. I like to go in stores, nerd about clothes together, learn what's coming later in the season / next year, interesting stories. I also enjoy getting personal phone calls / emails when stores receive things I might like. Perhaps I'm old school, but I enjoy the relationship - as contingent upon spending money as it may be.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had positive SA experiences w various employees both times I went into Totokaelo. Also that NYC corner bank location they had ~2018 was just insane.

I never have had anything like a real connection with a salesperson at, for example, Barney’s. So I think there is a division between the department store SA interaction and boutique SA interaction.

I just spent a week in Charleston and had nothing but cool SA interactions. Shout out to Brett at Indigo & Cotton. You go in there and end up chatting about like Kapital sizing and Post Imperial shirt concepts.

Even in stores where all I was trying to do was find a feu du bois candle, which I did in a place I would describe as your great grandmother’s haunted closet, I had good interactions.

Btw there’s a womenswear place in Charleston called Worthwhile that has Rick and Guidi. They had an amazing alpaca robe coat. That place is fun.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't like unwanted interactions with people - it's partly a neurodiversity thing, and partly just because I'm British... ;) - so I prefer to have SAs leave me alone until I want to talk to them. If SAs approach me I generally say I don't need help, and if they are persistent I will just leave the store and never return. There are other downsides to online shopping but, for me at least, the lack of SAs is not one of them.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody's watching, time for another film post.
Taipei Story (Edward Yang, 1985), gorgeous slice of life about in-between people and in-between times. Also with some very tasteful in-between fashion (with genuine casual tailoring extract in it)

Big white big lenses
1.jpg

2.jpg

Big wales
4.jpg

Low gorge high rise
5.jpg

6.jpg

7b.jpg

Etc
10b.jpg

12.jpg

14b.jpg

17.jpg

21b.jpg

24b.jpg

32.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

41.jpg

Images
35.jpg
42b.jpg
43.jpg

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved A Brighter Summer Day, haven’t seen Taipei Story yet.

watched the Insider tonight - last Mann movie I hadn’t seen. I enjoyed it - no Miami Vice but still worthwhile. Crowe was excellent, but the last hour dragged for me.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay for those of you who enjoy literally burning money, any under-the-radar scented candle recs? I already have the DWW baseball glove candle.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of fashionable movies, I rewatched Eyes of Laura Mars recently. It's campy and cheesy but the fashion is pretty cool.

blacklight

Reaction score
Film discussion would make a pretty good thread by itself.

Goes without saying but:

Paid in Full:

dffc1e69ae23c11e8aac9a2d8718a81c.jpg

artworks-000301849383-pz394h-t500x500.jpg
paid-in-full-header.jpg

MV5BNmViY2RjM2EtMTVjNy00MDg4LTlkMWQtNzE4YjNhZmYwY2JiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE5MDc0NTA@._V1_.jpg

Also, since he was brought up earlier I thought Jonah Hill looked pretty fire playing the arms dealer in War Dogs. There's a natural presence that comes with being a bigger guy that I think you just have to own. Rick Ross has built his career off of it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads