• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a jacket in a soft glen plaid OTR or MTM this season? Something in a similar tone to this?

tumblr_pqprt16Ohu1qaqv3ro1_500.jpg

If you choose a custom tailor you like, they'll probably have a patterned fabric close to that.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the the quality of the cotton is what makes denim itchy, not necessarily the fact there is stretch. I've got some jeans with stretch that feel super soft and some that are kinda scratchy. They are all 99% cotton / 1% whatever it is. For non-stretch, I remember APC denim is quite soft and pliable. I used to have some but not at the moment.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Richard Sennett, a sociologist, thinks those kinds of cities are the best. The noisy, unruly, and even slightly unsafe cities where people are constantly hawking, screaming, and moving. He calls them "open cities."

https://www.richardsennett.com/site/senn/UploadedResources/The Open City.pdf

TBH, I agree with him. I personally dislike the super safe, planned spaces of suburbia, where you have to have a car and everything feels predictable and homogenized. IMO, cities make for better cultural spaces precisely because they have communities like gutter punks (although many, like San Francisco, are becoming gentrified and homogenized). The existence of gutter punks means a city can be more dissonant and incoherent, and thus offers a more interesting life.
I really enjoyed that. I'm glad he used Naples as the example of an open city-- it's the place I had in mind leading up to the mention. Ocean Howell's "The Poetics of Security" is my favorite piece of writing on urban design/city life. It gets into the same ideas from a different angle.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that. I'm glad he used Naples as the example of an open city-- it's the place I had in mind leading up to the mention. Ocean Howell's "The Poetics of Security" is my favorite piece of writing on urban design/city life. It gets into the same ideas from a different angle.
From my experience, the scuzzy side of Naples is mostly hidden. Sure, there’s graffiti everywhere, but I’ll take that over human excrement and needles any day.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, the scuzzy side of Naples is mostly hidden. Sure, there’s graffiti everywhere, but I’ll take that over human excrement and needles any day.
I don't necessarily mean in terms of crime and grime. I'm thinking more of how you'll have to dodge a scooter driving on the sidewalk, get out of the way of an impromptu marching band parade. People living on street level and cooking on their windowsills. Baskets of food being hoisted by ropes to apartments. Cammarota Spritz. Generally, the crazy stuff that wouldn't fly in the safe, clean city where I live. That's the kind of hectic vibrancy I thought the paper was getting at, anyway.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what a load of psychobabble :plain:

TBH, it's weird to me that Sennett's argument isn't automatically obvious to anyone who loves fashion. One facet of his argument is that open cities are more generative -- they generate culture, ideas, and meaning. The more open the system, the more packed and diverse, the more tolerant, the better.

And how is this not obvious to anyone who likes SWD? Look at how much fashion plunders from that kind of history and environment. Hedi Slimane? Heroin rock chic. Kapital? Gutter punk. Balenciaga colorful laundry bag? Chinatown.

Sennett's argument isn't that everyone should love or live in open cities. He's fine with people having clean, safe, and "efficient" environments. If you want to live in those spaces, America is literally your oyster because those are the dominant paradigms in city planning.

He's saying that even the sections of urbanism are getting corrupted by those ideas. The need for clean, safe, and "efficient" spaces is what's tearing down cultural centers. Look at San Francisco. Where do cool people want to live? The Mission. But what happens when clean, safe, and efficiency loving yuppies move into the Mission? It becomes boring as hell.

Without those histories and cultural centers, where would fashion be? We'd have Lemaire, which is good. Then, I don't know, gingham shirts and UntuckIt? You wouldn't have Air Force 1s or Kapital or SLP. It's kind of weird to me that some people who love the cultural symbolism of those communities hate the communities that generate those symbols.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bromley sorry if i missed it but where do you reside?
I live in a city in the South. I moved here because the city used to be a little rough, a little dirty, and pretty weird. It was more of an "open city", and it fostered a great creative community. Regional quirks and specialties abounded. It has since become cleaner, safer, and more homogeneous.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yes, his point is obvious and elementary, buried in jargon

His point isn't elementary, it's entirely counter to the dominant vision of urban design typified by Robert Moses' New York and every major city in America. Think about what urban renewal means, and how common it is in modern urban life: rebuilding spaces in such a way that 'dirty elements' -- really, poor people -- are removed and priced out of the area to be replaced with upper middle class conveniences. Even in San Francisco, when people complain about housing, they're usually complaining about a lack of housing for young, working professionals, not homeless people or people below the poverty line.

I live in a city which has been significantly gentrified over the last 5-10 years, and it shows. When I was a student I lived in an apartment that shared the block with a coffin factory, a free clinic, and a store that sold used mannequins. Today that block is luxury condos and an expensive gym. The point isn't that wanting to avoid the grime of urban life is bad, it's that in replacing that grime with Chipotles and dog parks destroys an important element of the urban experience and a driving cultural force. At least with white flight to the suburbs the urban core continued to exist, now even that is being consumed.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I think the the quality of the cotton is what makes denim itchy, not necessarily the fact there is stretch. I've got some jeans with stretch that feel super soft and some that are kinda scratchy. They are all 99% cotton / 1% whatever it is. For non-stretch, I remember APC denim is quite soft and pliable. I used to have some but not at the moment.

APC was also my first thought for pale, non-stretch denim.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I copy-edited a book or two on pretty much this issue when I was 13 or 15, I don't remember which. My father is a pretty well known urban and regional planning academic, and I got to know the topic not just through osmosis, but also through child labor, under the auspices of "learning something" over summers. I was a Chinese immigrant kid growing up in the 80s, so it's not like I really had a choice whether to do it or not.

My takeaway from the research of that time is that a lot of people in the educated professional class romanticize and consume urban culture - the use of the underclass subcultures to inspire and sell fashion is a pretty good example. Derelicte was supposed to be a joke, but it's only funny because it's mostly true. The people who actually have to work in the streets of dirty, grimy, cities - cops, garbagemen, taxi drivers (I remember a lot of in depth interviews with those), prefer the suburbs, because they are forced to deal with the crap (often literal) in their quotidian lives, unlike say, most of us here, who work in quiet, safe, clean offices, and only have to interact with the grime of an "open city" when they like, and then only for a short time.

The presence or absence of choice greatly influences one's perception of something. I don't know how many of you drive, but as a kid, neither of my parents (both born and raised in HK) drove, and for physical/medical reasons, I can't drive. As a consequence, I loathe publiuc transport, because for me, it isn't a choice. It's just another inconvenience I have to deal with. This in contrast to a lot of my professional class friends, who do use public transportation, and feel morally righteous about it, but only when they feel like it, and otherwise, either Uber it, or drive themselves, if they don't.

If you go out into the outer suburbs of the Bay Area, for example, you'll find that it's mostly the working class people, many, if not most, of whom work closer to the city center.

re. the Mission and the SOMA, c'mon man, give me a break. I remember when the SOMA was full of crappy autobody shops and tracts of urban brownspaces in the late 90s. Don't tell me that was preferable to the tech offices and fancy tea shops and nice-ish bars and cafes that are the norm there now. And as for the Mission? Gentrification has brought us... better restaurants? Self Edge? Stores like Mission Workshop? I mean, c'mon, it's not like fifteen years ago, the Mission was this awesome place with great stuff that has now been pushed out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a city which has been significantly gentrified over the last 5-10 years, and it shows. When I was a student I lived in an apartment that shared the block with a coffin factory, a free clinic, and a store that sold used mannequins. Today that block is luxury condos and an expensive gym. The point isn't that wanting to avoid the grime of urban life is bad, it's that in replacing that grime with Chipotles and dog parks destroys an important element of the urban experience and a driving cultural force. At least with white flight to the suburbs the urban core continued to exist, now even that is being consumed.

lol. That's just color. You didn't frequent those businesses. Be real now.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily mean in terms of crime and grime. I'm thinking more of how you'll have to dodge a scooter driving on the sidewalk, get out of the way of an impromptu marching band parade. People living on street level and cooking on their windowsills. Baskets of food being hoisted by ropes to apartments. Cammarota Spritz. Generally, the crazy stuff that wouldn't fly in the safe, clean city where I live. That's the kind of hectic vibrancy I thought the paper was getting at, anyway.
Ah, I see. Personally, I enjoy that kind of controlled chaos; I’m way more relaxed driving where everyone is just trying to move than trapped behind overly cautious drivers, for example.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile