• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Why do brands sell "hand wash" garments? It creates a tedious experience for the customer that seems easily avoidable if the brand would pre-wash fabrics to avoid further shrinkage.

Is it a cost saving mechanism to maximize fabric? What is the purpose?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Why do brands sell "hand wash" garments? It creates a tedious experience for the customer that seems easily avoidable if the brand would pre-wash fabrics to avoid further shrinkage.

if you're not suffering for fashunz, you're not doing fashunz right. such a poor brand ambassador mindset! this is why you don't get nice things.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I never buy hand wash only stuff. If I do get any I just wash on delicate, air dry, and hope for the best. Life is too short to hand wash unless you have minions to do it for you.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of garments and fabrics labeled are "hand wash" as a protective measures against pilling, fading, getting snagged, as well as shrinking and that can happen from agitation in machines. Yes, some manufacturers do it because they are being overly cautious and handwash hang to dry covers their butt... sometimes it might be due to being cheaper fabrics.

I've got some nice slub cotton shirts some indigo pieces as well as silk and wools that aren't going near a machine. What ever the label says.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
early in the pandemic i learned some synthetics really can't stand up to hand washing, they are basically engineered for modern machines n detergents.

i rather like the option but i am also a freak who enjoys washing dishes, and generally inhabiting my own existence

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hand wash all silk and rayon garments, as well as knitwear. Doesn't take that long.

I also still wash raw denim in the tub like it's 2005.

Some garments can't be put through a conventional wet washing process because of the construction -- the material may pill, or the garment may have been made with certain threads or interlining that causes each material to shrink at different rates. And with raw denim, you can get that weird fading if you put things through a spin cycle.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hand wash all silk and rayon garments, as well as knitwear. Doesn't take that long.

I also still wash raw denim in the tub like it's 2005.

Some garments can't be put through a conventional wet washing process because of the construction -- the material may pill, or the garment may have been made with certain threads or interlining that causes each material to shrink at different rates. And with raw denim, you can get that weird fading if you put things through a spin cycle.

Hayashi-san says to put it in the washing machine and don’t give a f

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super curious - what synthetics and what happened with hand washing...

in particular some gap undies, probably the spandex or maybe lyocell idk had a hard time with the high water temps. meahwhile my cotton baby rib stuff did great

this topic makes me happy for summer when i can line dry for dat sun n breeze kissed

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I've always been staunch in my position that clothing does not make the person. I have had a fascination with clothing since my teens, but it is inextricably linked with deep-seated insecurities I hold and the classist family from which I hail. As I get older I am trying to move away from shame and into ownership of my interest, and I appreciate a community like this where I can share this interest with others. But others holding this interest is not a precondition for my finding connection with them, and having discussed with those close to me their own insecurities around expectations of appearance, I am very sensitive to this type of prescription, which, in my opinion, is usually thinly-veiled classism. Also some people just straight-up don't care about appearance, and while they are unfazed by other's prescriptive declarations, I will say in their defense as well that this is totally fine.

Which is not to say that you were making prescriptive declarations.
If I'm understanding you correctly I'm of the opinion my question wasn't clear, so let me rephrase what I'm struggling with: virtually all the people I admire (outside of the fashion business) do not care much for clothing. This includes everyone from my uncle to coworkers, entrepreneurs, philosophers, etc. Also, growing up how I dressed was reflective of my values and my environment (music was a big part of it for example) but that's not true anymore. As I'm trying to develop a more "personal style", this becomes a problem, because I feel like my "role models" and how I dress are disconnected. Also I often find myself appreciating a garment for its qualities, and then being turned off by the people that wear it (Acronym), which makes it harder for me to enjoy it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Asked in the Kapital thread like two weeks ago but no one answered. To be fair it was right before the big Komuga drama so the thread went haywire.

I was wondering if anyone had purchased Kapital jeans in boot cut (written on tag). How is the fit/where can I get a proper fit pic that isn't pinned or misleading? Is there only one type of boot cut they offeror is it almost meaningless?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm understanding you correctly I'm of the opinion my question wasn't clear, so let me rephrase what I'm struggling with: virtually all the people I admire (outside of the fashion business) do not care much for clothing. This includes everyone from my uncle to coworkers, entrepreneurs, philosophers, etc. Also, growing up how I dressed was reflective of my values and my environment (music was a big part of it for example) but that's not true anymore. As I'm trying to develop a more "personal style", this becomes a problem, because I feel like my "role models" and how I dress are disconnected. Also I often find myself appreciating a garment for its qualities, and then being turned off by the people that wear it (Acronym), which makes it harder for me to enjoy it.

i suppose there is lack of interest and then there in incongruence on the way to contradiction. Does a (perhaps unhealthy) appreciation of cloth clash with or violate tenets held by your role models? If so, are these beliefs so inflexible that they seek to bar dissonance or contradiction? Are you okay with that? If none of the above, why does it matter how they dress?

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
i suppose there is lack of interest and then there in incongruence on the way to contradiction. Does a (perhaps unhealthy) appreciation of cloth clash with or violate tenets held by your role models? If so, are these beliefs so inflexible that they seek to bar dissonance or contradiction?

Those are good questions I should have a better answer to, thank you.

Are you okay with that? If none of the above, why does it matter how they dress?
It's more like… if not based on your values/role models/immediate community, how do you develop your personal style? Is "what you think looks good on you" all there is to it?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Watched Crazed Fruit last night, a Japanese movie from 1956. Great style - it's setting is a summer vacation location with lots of boating and water skiing - lots of cool camp collar shirts, vacation shirts. There's a bit of a Ripley vibe, mixed with The Wild Ones or Rebel Without a Cause. Disaffected youth, casual sex, fighting, drinking, jealousy.

I'm really into this shirt in particular - want a Japanese maker to do a take on it.
691A2ACE-5F5A-4D8B-BDA8-47152BF0B71B_1_105_c.jpeg

1652B494-770E-4C8E-B0DF-589D2270B60E_1_105_c.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads