• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lugs would be your best bet for snow, there is a sole from Lactae called the Reltex Ranger that has channels for snow in it which could be another good alternative.

my christy soles have held up well in snow typically but i wouldn't trust my plantation crepe on icy streets

Thanks, that answered all my questions!

I think I am going to pick between the mini lugs and the Lactae Reltex Ranger. But I do need to ask Rancourt to send me pictures of the reltex ranger tho.

I will make my final choice and post some pictures when I get them back!

rkusmant

Reaction score
661A405B-8770-487D-B787-200003A180D6-19436-0000139FBE8D32CA_zpse3a34a41.jpg

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm planning to order a pair of shell beefrolls tomorrow. I'm contemplating getting the tempest sole. I though I read that someone here has a beefroll with the tempest. Can anyone share their opinion or pics? I really don't want to worry about when or where I wear them too much so I thought the tempest may make them a little more usable. I don't think it adds much if any bulk to the sole. Thoughts?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have the tempest sole, but the leather soles on my shell beefrolls are probably the slickest leather soles I have. I don't know why that is, but they don't give me a lot of traction. They are the only leather soles Rancourts I have.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I wasn't even thinking about traction and my own safety, haha. I was worried more about destroying the leather sole! I'm hoping to get these in time to bring on my honeymoon. The last thing I want to be worried about is my leather sole. Im not a big fan of a complete rubber sole, so maybe the tempest is the perfect compromise.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a little Tempest side view action for you. Not a beefroll, so I guess you'll have to try to imagine. I like the sole a lot for a blake boot. It doesn't feel like leather when you walk on it, (its quite a unique feeling, its hard rubber) and wears a lot more durably than you would think by looking at it. Mine probably still look brand new and I've worn them like 10 times. (I know, I should wear them more).

That being said, it wouldn't be my first choice for a Beefroll. Not that I think it is a bad choice, but I would just go leather or maybe boat or camp sole, or that new low profile Reltex they offer, depending on the rest of the shoe and if I was trying to have a more casual or more formal Beefroll.

They will inevitably arrive the day after you leave for your honeymoon. Rancourt is very good at timing things that way.

Congratulations on the wedding.

Post pics when you get back. (Of the shoes, not your honeymoon.)

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, meant to say I really like these. That's quite an outsole! And do I see that you have the leather wedge midsole? I'd like to have a pair with that. How do you find it? Comfortable?
It would be interesting to have the opportunity to walk in all of the soles that Rancourt offers one after the other. They seem to have many that would have a very unique feeling. I guess I have to commend them on their diverse sole selection.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Here is a little Tempest side view action for you. Not a beefroll, so I guess you'll have to try to imagine. I like the sole a lot for a blake boot. It doesn't feel like leather when you walk on it, (its quite a unique feeling, its hard rubber) and wears a lot more durably than you would think by looking at it. Mine probably still look brand new and I've worn them like 10 times. (I know, I should wear them more).

That being said, it wouldn't be my first choice for a Beefroll. Not that I think it is a bad choice, but I would just go leather or maybe boat or camp sole, or that new low profile Reltex they offer, depending on the rest of the shoe and if I was trying to have a more casual or more formal Beefroll.

They will inevitably arrive the day after you leave for your honeymoon. Rancourt is very good at timing things that way.
Hmm. I am definitely going for a more casual loafer. For some reason the tempest looks more inconspicuous on the ranger-moc than it does on the pic of the Blake you attached. I would imagine it is the same. Maybe it is just the angle. I think the timing may be cut a bit close to get the loafers in time...you are right about that. Maybe I'll order a pair of CXL to take with me. Maybe brown because I am already planning to take my olive CXL Rancourt Beefrolls.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congratulations on the wedding.

Post pics when you get back. (Of the shoes, not your honeymoon.)

Good looking boots. My only question/complaint with them would be the heel protrusion. I wonder why they didn't tuck in the heel better? They have the appearance of being set up to accept a 360 degree stitch, but the stitching ends at the heel breasts. It looks odd to me.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks awkward now that you point it out, but I never noticed before despite having scrutinized every aspect of the boots multiple times.

Might be the point of view the pic was taken from. IRL I don't think it looks as awkward, but still I'll be sure not to let anyone look at the side of my boots while they are lying on the floor, just to be safe.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
IRL I don't think it looks as awkward, but still I'll be sure not to let anyone look at the side of my boots while they are lying on the floor, just to be safe.
Good thinking!!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member