• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

TactileOne

Reaction score
Tampa Travel, coming down your way early next month. Are you anywhere near Cigar City Brewery? My daughter works at the aiport Hilton and I'll be spendind time there.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Customer MTO? May I ask what leather?

Also, does anyone know if Rancourt will do a high hand sewn boot (i.e. 7 inches or even 10 inches)? I have this thought about asking for something like this in a Langdon boot. Could email them of course, but it's really just a thought right now. Don't need to know.

Also tan bulldog boat shoes today:

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been inordinately excited about getting something with red sole, and I feel that these turned out to be a very good choice for that.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

^Customer MTO? May I ask what leather?

Also, does anyone know if Rancourt will do a high hand sewn boot (i.e. 7 inches or even 10 inches)? I have this thought about asking for something like this in a Langdon boot. Could email them of course, but it's really just a thought right now. Don't need to know.

Also tan bulldog boat shoes today:

The leather is Carolina brown CXL on these. made for one of David's customers. I personally like the black edge finishing with the dark reltex sole.

the boot is also lined, which makes it nice and sturdy. surprised I don't see more chukka love around here!

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love most of Rancourt's styling but their chukka does nothing for me. It looks very stubby and too much like a Clark's. Perhaps if/when I see it in person I will change my mind

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the details. I have to admit that I am undecided on the Blake chukka shape myself. I've never seen it really worn in in a real fit pic. That might change my mind. I do like that edge trim/sole combo. Suits the color of the leather. Reltex is an outstanding sole material. Very glad Rancourt introduced me to it. And lined CXL is definitely going to be tough as nails.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank,

How about some insight on the boat shoe sizing?

The pair that I got for my dad are 9.5D. When I tried them on new, they were generous in length, but a little snug on my pinky toe. (Barefoot) After he broke them in they are pretty generous all around. (Barefoot) He wears them with athletic socks, so no surprise there.

I'm getting ready to order a pair that will be strictly slip on, that is, they can't be tightened by pulling the laces.

I am going to wear them barefoot only.

Was thinking going 9D or 9E

Any insight?

Any insight from others appreciated as well. Especially if anyone can speak on whether or not a half a size is a big difference, and if going from a D to an E is a drastic change, or hardly noticeable. My suspicion is that the difference is similar to that of athletic socks vs no socks.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frank,

How about some insight on the boat shoe sizing?

The pair that I got for my dad are 9.5D.  When I tried them on new, they were generous in length, but a little snug on my pinky toe.  (Barefoot)  After he broke them in they are pretty generous all around. (Barefoot)  He wears them with athletic socks, so no surprise there.

I'm getting ready to order a pair that will be strictly slip on, that is, they can't be tightened by pulling the laces.

I am going to wear them barefoot only.

Was thinking going 9D or 9E

Any insight?

Any insight from others appreciated as well.  Especially if anyone can speak on whether or not a half a size is a big difference, and if going from a D to an E is a drastic change, or hardly noticeable.  My suspicion is that the difference is similar to that of athletic socks vs no socks.  

Edit: Thought it would be worth noting again that my Brannock TTS is 11, so I'm not sizing down in hand sewns and actually sized up in Blake.

I think the comparison between athletic socks and no socks is about right.

These are 11D unlined. They are snug, but already forming to fit nicely. Wearable sockless and with very thin socks. The fact that they have laces makes them easier to slip on and off. With the laces tied, I need to wedge them on with a shoehorn right now.

11E is definitely noticeably wider than D for me, and most wearable with socks of a reasonable weight.

I think that 9E is going to have a similar fit to the 9.5D, just that fraction shorter. That could be ideal for you. I do think the 9D will be noticeably narrower. Hard to say how well that will stretch to fit. Maybe enough with unlined CXL. The tan bulldog I got is a pretty dry, so I don't think it's going to stretch too much. I'm of the opinion that unlined does have more give then lined.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Frank,

I had been leaning towards 9E or 9D.

Just tried on my dad's pair again, and they aren't as roomy in the front as I remembered.

The pencil is resting against the tip of my big toe as I press them up against the top of the shoe. Not sure how much shorter a 9 is than a 9.5, and my heels aren't firmly pressed against the back of the shoe, but not sure that they are supposed to be in a boat shoe anyway.

I guess if the difference in length is about a quarter inch b/w sizes, the 9 might provide a secure fit, if not, I can send them back for stretching.

I sort of think 9E is the ticket, since I want them secure, and the 9.5Ds were already snug on my pinky toe when they were new, so not sure I want to go any snugger in width.

The ones pictured are pretty secure in 9.5D barefoot, even after being stretched by my Dad with normal wear and his athletic socks.

We have pretty much the same sized feet, and if his 9.5Ds aren't too small with athletic socks, my 9Es shouldn't be to small barefoot

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

going to resole my color 8 ranger moc. thinking about

Honey Reltex Lactae Hevea
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/4-eyelet-ranger-moc-green-shell-cordovan.html

Honey Vibram 232 mini-lug
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blake-boot-color-8-chromexcel.html

and white christy vibram.

Anyone would like to give me some input about which one to pick for long walk and snow weather?

Lugs would be your best bet for snow, there is a sole from Lactae called the Reltex Ranger that has channels for snow in it which could be another good alternative.

my christy soles have held up well in snow typically but i wouldn't trust my plantation crepe on icy streets

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks Frank, I had been leaning towards 9E or 9D. Just tried on my dad's pair again, and they aren't as roomy in the front as I remembered.
The pencil is resting against the tip of my big toe as I press them up against the top of the shoe. Not sure how much shorter a 9 is than a 9.5, and my heels aren't firmly pressed against the back of the shoe, but not sure that they are supposed to be in a boat shoe anyway. I guess if the difference in length is about a quarter inch b/w sizes, the 9 might provide a secure fit, if not, I can send them back for stretching. I sort of think 9E is the ticket, since I want them secure, and the 9.5Ds were already snug on my pinky toe when they were new, so not sure I want to go any snugger in width. The ones pictured are pretty secure in 9.5D barefoot, even after being stretched by my Dad with normal wear and his athletic socks. We have pretty much the same sized feet, and if his 9.5Ds aren't too small with athletic socks, my 9Es shouldn't be to small barefoot
That's an interesting trick. Here are my new 11s seen the same way. I did try a 10.5 from Rancourt a while ago and my big toe felt as if it was being pinched vertically when the shoe flexed while walking (if that makes sense).
Later today, I'll try to post a photo of one of my 11.5 pairs using the same pencil trick. But looking at that, I'm not sure if you have room to spare in the length.
Lugs would be your best bet for snow, there is a sole from Lactae called the Reltex Ranger that has channels for snow in it which could be another good alternative. my christy soles have held up well in snow typically but i wouldn't trust my plantation crepe on icy streets
Want to say I appreciate PDG's contributions here. It's nice to have a retailer's perspective on Rancourts, considering how many pairs you all see. Hope to be able to stop by at the end of the summer. Maybe there'll be something interesting in my size. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads