1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. coolron

coolron Senior member

I had the same problem hkpm, the thread was cutting into my foot. But after another wear or two it's stopped and not a problem anymore. I'd say wear it a few more times before deciding to cut it.

2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

So, a very nice resolution on Rancourt's part. Katie agreed with me whole-heartedly that after having all those discussions on custom vs. normal pricing that it totally sucked that I could have saved so much money on what I originally wanted, but unfortunately with regard to that, them's the breaks. She said she was kept in the dark on this deal, and she would have told me to wait a week if she'd had known. The shoes are just about done. That said, Kyle approved my getting the same price as though I'd ordered my pair at the custom price with the 20% off, which is exactly what I'd asked for. So my $510 shoes went to $570 at 20% off. (Technically, they are giving me 10% off my $510 pair, but it's the same thing).

Of course, this *only* applies because my order was still being made when the deal started, and the close proximity of my order to the deal. So I wouldn't count on getting this same thing, unfortunately, those of you who received your custom orders last week.

Anyway, good customer service, and a great deal makes me think it's the perfect time to put in another order. Gonna be a tough choice. Katie is fairly confident we are *never* going to see a deal like this again, because of the risk of devaluing their shoes and giving an incentive to just wait until a sale. So $120 off handsewn shells is just too good to pass up. Not to mention the shell shortage and an almost certain increase in shell prices going forward.

Current front-runner #8 shell ranger mocs, with the tempest or mini-lug sole. Probably the tempest. Navy laces, I think. Question between antique and normal brass. I know that antique brass looks awesome, but of course I'm a fan of starting out with a raw material and letting it antique on its own. Anyone have any normal brass eyelets on theirs? Also, I would have gone with the natural shell if I didn't *just* put in that natural shell loafer order. Fortunately, I have until the 6th to decide!

Also, does anyone know if the Espresso shell is a hand-dyed shell (like navy or green, where they take natural shell and dye it by hand) or a tanned-dyed (like #8, where they dye is done in the tanning)? #8 is king, as a certain person I try not to quote likes to say, but I do love the color of cappuccino shell.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Rancourt's espresso shell is hand dyed.

4. mothball

mothball Senior member

Do you guys think natural or navy stitching for a navy shell Langdon boot?

5. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I'm a fan of the natural stitching. It's the traditional stitching color and the contrast looks great. The toe stitching isn't really (in my opinion) meant to blend into the shoe too much.

2 people like this.
  6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

If the coupon still works, what is it?

7. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

So, trying to decide whether to go with 9EE or 9.5EE on these custom shell rangers. I have 9EE CXL rangers and they fit perfectly, but started out really really snug. However, in his Reddit AMA Kyle made the comment that they engineer their shoes so that you can order shell and cxl in the same sizes. What does that mean? Do they make shell a bit looser so that it takes into account CXL's stretch?

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Typically a shell cordovan shoe is a bit looser out of the box than a CXL shoe (if made on the indentical last). This is because the cordovan does not stretch like CXL and it cannot be pulled as tightly to the last as a CXL shoe. So if they engineer shell to fit like CXL out of the box then they MAY make it on a tiny bit smaller last. Just speculating to make my point clearer.

They are only accounting for the difference when first made, not for stretching when broken in.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Thanks, that's more or less what I was thinking. If it's just a bit looser on the last, then I'll go with the same size as my CXL rangers. If they purposefully use a slightly smaller last, then I'll go with with the 9.5EE. Those AE 800 shell cordovan loafers I tried on (in 9.5EEE) were way too loose, so if shell rangers on that last are that loose then I'll give them a try. I honestly don't know how they recommend the same size for the made to fit 114s and the rangers 800s, at least how I've tried on those lasts from other guys.

I of course shot Katie an email asking her for clarification for that, so hopefully she can clear that up.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The shell and CXL rangers should end up the same size out of the box. I don't know if I would size up for shell. They will just stay a bit snugger than CXL, but feel the same out of the box.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I wanted to get the 20% off on my Snuff Rangers on Aspen. Here is what I learned.

If the Aspen sole is not available with the tool, it would not be able to be
    selected and therefore receive the 20% discount. If you wanted to custom
    design a shoe outside of the customization tool, I can certainly help you
    with that, but the 20% discount would not apply.

selected and therefore receive the 20% discount. If you wanted to custom
    design a shoe outside of the customization tool, I can certainly help you
    with that, but the 20% discount would not apply.

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I wonder why the Aspen sole isn't included.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I supposed it is because it is a relatively new sole and not one of their "primary" soles. When they started making the MTO interface it might not have been introduced yet. They probably just wanted to go ahead and get this beta version of the feature launched with the options they already have on it, rather than delaying it further to get all the options added. IIRC, they originally wanted to launch the MTO page in January. I guess the coupon code is more to get people to submit orders through the MTO page to test its functionality, or get them in the habit of using the feature, rather than to attract sales through the reduced price.

Just a thought.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

What laces do you think go best with a blind eyelet snuff ranger? The brown cord? or those other cord laces that look like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was also thinking about switching them out to some funky laces like these (but maybe some less bright colors, they have a dark brown/light brown pattern that might work well.

[​IMG]

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You are probably exactly right. Seems like they probably want to get the MTO tool out there and then build from there. And considering that to my knowledge Rancourt has never before offered a discount code, it is pretty clearly designed to generate orders from the new design page.
    By brown cord, do you mean the ones shown in the spoiler photo? (Though I realize those aren't cord...) I think either the dark brown or the yellow/brown would work with snuff suede. For some reason the lighter color seems more traditional to me. And that purple/yellow mix might be the crazy color that blends in best with snuff. I do like green and brown though.

16. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

The brown round laces that Rancourt puts in the Blake Boots.

Agreed.

17. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

Photos of my Green Shell Ranger Moc
    Definitely love them, especially the spongy like reltex lactae hevea sole, very comfortable.
    They make me wonder if the Alden's plantation crepe sole offers the same degree of comfort.

It turns out that 7E is the right size for me, at least for Rancourt's lace shoes, just some minor heel slippage.
    I think after breaking them in, it will be gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'm jealous and I just got my #8 cordovan Ranger Mocs.

Very nice, Congrats.

19. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

not seeing this 20% coupon anywhere

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Did you receive an email from Rancourt with a link to the customizer tool?