• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ripples to be are not a big issue. I think it will solve itself with some brushing and some extra brushing. I usually think people overreact when it comes to discoloration between shoes. Many of the ones posted here wouldn't bother me as I know they would even out in time. Alas, each person has their own standards which is totally fine. That one boot is incredibly dark and don't know how long it would take to lighten up. I would give them a really good wipe down with a slightly damp cloth and see if you can remove some of the finish. Personally, I'd question whether to keep them or not which is a sure fire sign i shouldn't. Im not too sure about the heel. I see varying levels of this by maker and don't see much issue with it from people in the long run. Either way, congrats on the new boots and I hope you figure it out!

I do not believe the ripples will can be solved by extensive brushing. They are hardened into the cap. Almost like there were bumps in the last.

fishstix

Reaction score
I do not believe the ripples will can be solved by extensive brushing. They are hardened into the cap. Almost like there were bumps in the last.
Bought from C&J direct? It seems as if you're unhappy with them so I think you should return them. They have a wonderful return policy and if deemed defective, return postage will be covered.

You can read about the policy here:

http://www.crockettandjones.com/retailservices#mailorder

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys send your shoes back C&J to be resoled or is there a preferred cobbler in the U.S. that you guys trust? Thoughts on B. Nelson? Thanks

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys send your shoes back C&J to be resoled or is there a preferred cobbler in the U.S. that you guys trust? Thoughts on B. Nelson? Thanks
I've used B nelson on a couple of recrafts and have been pleased. For example, Alden will only recraft to their original specs i.e. neocork sole to neocork etc. B Nelson has been able to change to another type of sole. Also, alden refinishes with their acrylic coating; even if you don't want it! When I ask B nelson to not polish, he obliges. Also, when I put my instructions on his ordering page, he always calls to make sure he got everything. That's a nice touch.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used B nelson on a couple of recrafts and have been pleased. For example, Alden will only recraft to their original specs i.e. neocork sole to neocork etc. B Nelson has been able to change to another type of sole. Also, alden refinishes with their acrylic coating; even if you don't want it! When I ask B nelson to not polish, he obliges.  Also, when I put my instructions on his ordering page, he always calls to make sure he got everything. That's a nice touch.

Great info, thanks! I need to be sure to tell them not to polish my shoes. Is the upgrade to Joh Rodenbach soles worth the extra expense?

Last edited:

MarcoBianco

Reaction score

Opinions please. I have a pair of brand new brown harlechs. There are three issues that are concerning me and I'm hoping to get some opinions as to the level of severity these issues are.

1). There are "ripples" in the shell on the cap toe. These are not creases from wear, as they have never been worn. You can actually feel the ripples if you run your finger across the cap toes.

2). The main vamp area is a noticeably different shade of brown from one boot to the other.

3) The back of the left boot's heel rests significantly off the floor. When stepping in the boot it does not feel natural because of this.

Here are pictures.

All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The heal will will level out with use, no worries there. The color differences will only be noticed by you for a week at the most once you start wearing them, no worries there either. The ridges on the toe will stay there for ever and only be noticed by you. BUT if you're as anal about those things as I am you would've sent them back,,, like last year!
1f60e.png

Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Islays on a rainy day in Silicon Valley. @Cuttingboard I used B. Nelson to replace the crepe sole on a pair Aldens with Dainite. There was a bump under one of the heel pads after the job was completed. They fixed at no cost to me but they had to cover shipping costs to and from twice. I'd use again. Others have used Aram at https://ahoneshoes.com. You can search the various threads.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Islays on a rainy day in Silicon Valley. @Cuttingboard I used B. Nelson to replace the crepe sole on a pair Aldens with Dainite. There was a bump under one of the heel pads after the job was completed. They fixed at no cost to me but they had to cover shipping costs to and from twice. I'd use again. Others have used Aram at https://ahoneshoes.com. You can search the various threads.
Oh man...you are the man! I live about 10 minutes from AH One Shoes and would rather spend my money locally if possible. Plus, he is located near the butcher shop and a wine store that I visit all the time. :slayer:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After sizing of a pair of AEs changed noticly after resoling by an Independent repair service, I was told that this could be because the shoes were not put on the original last for the work. Since then I prefer to have shoes resoled by the makers since only they will be able to put them on the original last.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Waymouth on 373? If so I would be really curious how 373 fits compared to other lasts and especially 348.

Alex, they are Weymouth, quite correct. However, these are the original Weymouth on the 337 last. These would be at least 10 years old.

The 373 last you mention is of the current Weymouth 2.

I've linked pics of the two lasts, the 337 being the Saville.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alex, they are Weymouth, quite correct. However, these are the original Weymouth on the 337 last. These would be at least 10 years old.

The 373 last you mention is of the current Weymouth 2.

I've linked pics of the two lasts, the 337 being the Saville.

Thanks Cleav. Bother lasts are beautiful, unfortunately the 337 was always too wide for me. I hope that 373 is closer to 348.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After sizing of a pair of AEs changed noticly after resoling by an Independent repair service, I was told that this could be because the shoes were not put on the original last for the work. Since then I prefer to have shoes resoled by the makers since only they will be able to put them on the original last.

That's a very valid point! Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur