• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sammm

Reaction score
this one is particularly hard to gauge. 4" sounds absurdly long for any collar, but with a button-down, it all depends on the roll, which is going to primarily be affected by the button placement, but also will change after the shirt is given its first wash and the collar softens up a bit. studio shots of a freshly cut shirt aren't going to give the full picture.
Yes. Post shrinkage, the Soft Ivy BD is closer to 3.25" than the initial 3.5", so I imagine the Roma to end up around 3.75"...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The collar looks anything but "soft" on the website, the shirt looks fused.

The only other picture I could find posted by a user wasn't exactly convincing either. The roll/collar looked way too stiff and erect.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I haven't seen a good picture of it yet.

We need to see it on a guy with an average build who has washed and worn it a few times and has decent photography skills.

bantone

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their Sports Jackets? Been eying this one!

DcDrape

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their Sports Jackets? Been eying this one!

I just got two sports jackets from them, the Waverly construction brown tweed herringbone and a Bedford construction dark green herringbone.

my initial response is that they are constructed very well. If you feel confident in you sizing numbers I think these offer a great sport jacket for the money. The Waverly construction is fully unstructured so no canvassing. I was a little weary of this at first but after receiving the jackets, the website is right that it isn't totally necessary with this heavier fabric. I feel like mine looks much better with jeans than it does tailored trousers but if you wore a thicker flannel, it would work just fine.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Unless the Soft Roma is entirely different than all of PC's other "soft" collars, there is absolutely no way it's going to look or feel fused, save for (perhaps) with the heaviest of heavy duty WR fabrics...which nobody should be getting. I can't speak to the button placement, which would, if applicable, strike me as the more realistic concern. I have soft collars (Milano, Roma Cutaway, and President Cutaway) ranging from 100% linens to the heavy oxfords, and they are all plenty malleable and soft.
2. Speaking of collars, I'm really hoping the '21 collar "refinements" include beefing up the Soft President Cutaway a bit. I think a slightly more imposing SPC would comfortably slot in behind the Soft Milano in my hierarchy if they did.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Unless the Soft Roma is entirely different than all of PC's other "soft" collars, there is absolutely no way it's going to look or feel fused, save for (perhaps) with the heaviest of heavy duty WR fabrics...which nobody should be getting. I can't speak to the button placement, which would, if applicable, strike me as the more realistic concern. I have soft collars (Milano, Roma Cutaway, and President Cutaway) ranging from 100% linens to the heavy oxfords, and they are all plenty malleable and soft.
2. Speaking of collars, I'm really hoping the '21 collar "refinements" include beefing up the Soft President Cutaway a bit. I think a slightly more imposing SPC would comfortably slot in behind the Soft Milano in my hierarchy if they did.
@roostertailedcow posted pictures a while ago.

Even if not fused, the collar simply looks too stiff.

p3290035-jpg.1362868

1362865-1a7f52b6ce93a9aeb79554b35b715676.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're mostly talking opinion here, so I can't say you're wrong, but I just can't for the life of me get what's forming that opinion, if you have experience with (and presumably deem acceptably soft) other PC soft collars. I can't imagine PC would opt to make this particular collar with substantively different construction.
If PC's other soft collars are too stiff for your liking, then the POV is perfectly understandable.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're mostly talking opinion here, so I can't say you're wrong, but I just can't for the life of me get what's forming that opinion, if you have experience with (and presumably deem acceptably soft) other PC soft collars. I can't imagine PC would opt to make this particular collar with substantively different construction.
If PC's other soft collars are too stiff for your liking, then the POV is perfectly understandable.
Hopefully this will clarify:

I don't doubt the collar is soft. All my collars are "soft" from PC, and actually look and feel soft as well in terms of construction.

However, this LOOKS stiff. I've never seen such a stiff looking roll on a BD collar before, does that make sense?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
yeah no one is doubting how it should look, we've just yet to see a photo that proves it and the photos we do have either indicate otherwise or are inconclusive

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Was very close to going with the Soft Roma BD on my latest order, but I too wasn't convinced enough with what we've seen so far to drop the cash for it.

@Seph long shot, but given the current discussion, any chance you or a colleague has the Soft Roma BD collar on a shirt that has been washed a few times and can provide photos? Perhaps even the one used on the mannequin for the photoshoot?

Sammm

Reaction score
Was very close to going with the Soft Roma BD on my latest order, but I too wasn't convinced enough with what we've seen so far to drop the cash for it.

@Seph long shot, but given the current discussion, any chance you or a colleague has the Soft Roma BD collar on a shirt that has been washed a few times and can provide photos? Perhaps even the one used on the mannequin for the photoshoot?
Same here, I almost ordered it twice but went with the safe Ivy BD both times because it’s hard to get a clear image of the Roma BD.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The interlining and collar construction on the Soft Roma is exactly the same as it is on Soft President and Soft Ivy Button down. Heavier fabrics will cause a soft collar to look stiffer - I think that might be contributing to the confusion.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Does Proper Cloth ever restock items from their look book/collections ? Many of the items I want are listed as sold out.

And speaking of, I think they do a very good job with the look book photo shoots. Gives me ideas on outfits and I seem to always order an item from the collection.

Sammm

Reaction score
Does Proper Cloth ever restock items from their look book/collections ? Many of the items I want are listed as sold out.

And speaking of, I think they do a very good job with the look book photo shoots. Gives me ideas on outfits and I seem to always order an item from the collection.
It’s funny with the lookbooks. I’m a happy PC customer but the lookbooks don’t speak to me at all. Everything is styled in the exact same MOR slim-fit aesthetic. Of course that appeals to some people, but I’d say the whole point of an MTM shirt company is that it can appeal to nearly all guys. A shirt is probably the most versatile item in a man’s wardrobe, so to me it would be a no-brainer to also show them worn with streetwear, with milsurp, vintage, or in very directional oversized looks. PC clearly has a different vision, but I’d think you can only widen your reach if you don’t only propagate a single aesthetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads