• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Does anybody have experience (or pics!) with the Soft Ivy collar? Hard to really judge it without seeing it in the wild.

Here's a couple shots of the soft ivy button down:

Sundance

Reaction score
Thanks, Seph. The jacket-and-tie pics are what I'm looking for. Do you have any where the collar buttons aren't undone?

katabatic

Reaction score
I've got one with the soft ivy collar, in the Howard Street chambray. It's one of my favorite shirts, although I'd say that the collar is almost *too* soft. When the points are buttoned and the collar's open, worn without a tie, the beautiful roll of the collar tends to flatten a bit. Which, you know, should be expected from a collar with (I assume) no interlining.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one with the soft ivy collar, in the Howard Street chambray. It's one of my favorite shirts, although I'd say that the collar is almost *too* soft. When the points are buttoned and the collar's open, worn without a tie, the beautiful roll of the collar tends to flatten a bit. Which, you know, should be expected from a collar with (I assume) no interlining.
That's my concern with this collar. In theory it's nice but I'd like to see a better "roll" from it.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

FWIW, katabatic, PC's site says the Soft Ivy collar has "super soft unfused interlining".

Yes - there is an interlining in there - it's very light though.

The softness/structure of the collar will vary based on the fabric selected for the shirt. Heavier weight fabrics such as oxfords or flannels make for more structured soft-ivy button down collars than lighter weight fabrics.

katabatic

Reaction score
Yup - the chambray I picked is pretty light. I might try one in one of the heavy oxford cloths next.

BTW, @Seph I just want to compliment you on the Proper Cloth website - it's by far the easiest to use (and fastest!) of the MTM shirtmaker websites I've tried. Looking forward to the linen options in the future :)

jeffreywlai

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I ordered a shirt on Sunday; looking forward to trying it on in a few weeks. The site is very easy to use. I appreciated the option to increase the dimension of the left cuff as my watch is very thick.

Is "wrinkle resistant" the rough equivalent of the "no iron" Brooks Brothers shirts I have?

PC's wrinkle resistance fabrics are not equivalent to the "no iron" Brooks Brothers shirts.

JKKJ

Reaction score
Ay yi yi.
A few days after I place my order you restock the Wythe Steel Blue Oxford, and now you've introduced a Soft President Spread collar. You're making it very difficult for me....

A question on button placement: Is there any flexibility on where the first button is located? Or maybe it's the second button down? The one below the collar button. My preference is to have the button placed a little closer to the collar to keep the collar from dropping and flattening when I'm not wearing a tie. Especially on lighter-weight fabrics. I know the choice of placket makes a difference too,

ccallis

Reaction score

PC's wrinkle resistance fabrics are not equivalent to the "no iron" Brooks Brothers shirts.

Jeffreywlai is correct. Our "wrinkle resistant" treatment is just done on the fabric when it is woven. It's a little more subtle and comfortable to wear than if we treated it after the shirt is made, like BB does.

Ay yi yi.
A question on button placement: Is there any flexibility on where the first button is located? Or maybe it's the second button down? The one below the collar button. My preference is to have the button placed a little closer to the collar to keep the collar from dropping and flattening when I'm not wearing a tie. Especially on lighter-weight fabrics. I know the choice of placket makes a difference too,

Hi JKKJ--We're not able to adjust the placement of our first button on the placket. Ours is a little lower than some other shirtmakers, though not uncommon on the market.

ccallis

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
We launched a few new collar options today. A Hidden Button Down, Soft President Spread, and Band Collar. We had a lot of requests for a good Hidden Button Down (below) and think our version stands up really nicely at all times.

The Soft President Collar (below) was introduced as an easy-to-wear casual option for those who felt our Soft Milano and Soft President Cutaway were a little too aggressive for their liking. It's the same proportions as our standard President Spread, but definitely comes out a bit small due to the unfused construction.

The Band Collar is a nice casual option and is unfused with a light soft lining. It's another collar we had a lot of requests for, so we're happy to finally get it going.

We're in the process of developing a crisp, fused version of our Soft Milano right now. Would love to hear if there are any collar you guys wish we had, or are just struggling to find on the market in general...

JKKJ

Reaction score
Hi JKKJ--We're not able to adjust the placement of our first button on the placket. Ours is a little lower than some other shirtmakers, though not uncommon on the market.

Thanks Chris. Just to be clear, my ay yi yi was an "oh great the fabric I wanted is available again and now they have a new collar that I like the look of and now I have to order more shirts" kind of ay yi yi, not a gripe about button placement!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly Question,

As a color blind man, I like the Ecru shirts from Brooks Brothers. Would you say that the Ivory Broadcloth or the Bowery Yellow pinpoint is closer? I am looking for a solid go to dress shirt for browns and tweeds

Thank you in advance!

ccallis

Reaction score

Silly Question, 

As a color blind man, I like the Ecru shirts from Brooks Brothers. Would you say that the Ivory Broadcloth or the Bowery Yellow pinpoint is closer? I am looking for a solid go to dress shirt for browns and tweeds

Thank you in advance!

Marc--I'd say that our Bowery Yellow Pinpoint is probably most similar to those. A better tweed pairing than the Ivory Broadcloth, for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics