• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plan my weekend in Manhattan

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You mean wine?

They don't really do that there, so no.

- B

They do not do pairings or they do not do wine? If no wine, I can safely cross them off my list of places I plan to eat at when I visit NYC!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Does that include pairings or not?

wine, no, but tax, tip, and non-alc beverages yes. It's the one restaurant I really really want to try, but sadly would be financially irresponsible for me to book. Sigh.

DBGB might be a good place to check out for dinner/social fun (it's owned by Daniel Bouloud). Review.

Not sure if they still do it, but the Met used to have late night cocktails and music, I think on Fridays.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
They do not do pairings or they do not do wine? If no wine, I can safely cross them off my list of places I plan to eat at when I visit NYC!

no pairings. They do have a wine list.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No piano. I play the guitar really badly, but that helps me not at all in my appreciation of Chopin. Although my cousin is a professional musician in Branson (banjo and guitar mostly). On his last studio album he recorded Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring done entirely on banjo. There's some weird **** out there.

Leo Kottke did a nice version of this on his Takoma debut, 6 and 12 String Guitar...

ragdoll

Reaction score
OK, Mark. I live in flyoverland, am about your age and taking my GF for a second trip to NYC this weekend. This is what we've reserved. I cancelled our Per Se reservations as she decided we're not yet that BigTime.

Fri lunch Eleven Madison Park
dinner La Sirene

Sat dinner Degustation

Sun brunch Maialino
dinner Convivo

She's reserved a couple of plays: Avenue Q and Next to Normal.

If anyone has better ideas as far as the food is concerned please do say so.

And I don't play the piano.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll
OK, Mark. I live in flyoverland, am about your age and taking my GF for a second trip to NYC this weekend. This is what we've reserved. I cancelled our Per Se reservations as she decided we're not yet that BigTime.

Fri lunch Eleven Madison Park
dinner La Sirene

Sat dinner Degustation

Sun brunch Maialino
dinner Convivo

She's reserved a couple of plays: Avenue Q and Next to Normal.

If anyone has better ideas as far as the food is concerned please do say so.

And I don't play the piano.

Nice. We'll be expecting a full report on Monday.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Leo Kottke did a nice version of this on his Takoma debut, 6 and 12 String Guitar...

That's funny. I didn't know that. Back in 1991 my cousin was in the National Banjo Championships in Winfield, KS and selected this as his piece for the finals. The judges were not impressed (more confused really, considering that it was the "Bluegrass Banjo" championships). Tony Furtado won that year and my cousin placed second.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the Carnegie Deli recommendation. Maybe you should do it. - B
Yeah that's a great recommendation. And then maybe Joe's/John's/Ray's for pizza. Followed by Magnolia's for dessert. Ugh.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ugh, the NYC cupcake fascination. I appreciate places like Crumbs for their diversity of flavors, but for the love of god don't serve stale poor quality cupcakes for $4 each!! Pass.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yes, I do play. Therefore I know from experience that your implicit assertion that Chopin is somehow "easy" is absurd. I realize that it was just another vox Annie-Oakley-style "I Can Do Anything" boast, but come on.
I like that image.

Very excellent string of insults, though. Worthy of Horace. There must be something in that Boston water.
Do you think there is any tea left in it after Dukakis cleaned the harbor?

BTW, I have the Moravec Etudes and could have sworn some of them are played a bit too fast. I've been meaning to get the Pollini version.

You're not going to RJman me, are you?
I resent being made into a verb.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Is this the new SF? What did I miss?
It's like the new Toyota -- nothing, it will have another recall and suffer a MAE soon.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
OK...to summarize, here's what I've got so far: Restaurants: Triomphe @ The Iriquois DB Moderne Babbo Alto Marea Eleven Madison Park Maialino Anything in the Gramercy Area Il Gattopardo (near MoMA) Alice's Tea Cup (Breakfast) Stumptown (Breakfast) Shows/Sights: A View from the Bridge MoMA Wicked In the Heights Anything at Lincoln Center High Line I'm increasingly concerned about the "walking around" strategy because of weather issues. We'll be there in mid-March and I'm thinking there's a good chance it may still be quite cold and/or rainy. I've been to the Met a number of times but never been to MoMA and I really want to go. Will talk to her about that. Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming. Will do some research and start making some decisions.
Huh!!?? You really,really, really have to go there. I think I only come back to NYC for that and some delis these days, don't really shop in NYC,not my fav restaurant scene (apart from delis), don't find it particularly beautiful but **** is the MoMA one of the best museums in the world. Oh and scrap a few of those "lunch" experiences and order some room service and do your thing. This foodie vacation stuff is overrated unless its a very authentic experience involving preparation and anticipation (think Matt and his pig). Romance before stuffing your face.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Huh!!?? You really,really, really have to go there. I think I only come back to NYC for that and some delis these days, don't really shop in NYC,not my fav restaurant scene (apart from delis), don't find it particularly beautiful but **** is the MoMA one of the best museums in the world.

Oh and scrap a few of those "lunch" experiences and order some room service and do your thing. This foodie vacation stuff is overrated unless its a very authentic experience involving preparation and anticipation (think Matt and his pig). Romance before stuffing your face.

Believe me...you don't have to tell me this, but we will need sustainance at some point. It might as well be good. Plus I'm really more focused on the mood of the place (see my prior posts on this point) to help set the tone for the weekend. Great food is a plus.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
You'll probably want to swing by Sherry-Lehman for post evening beverage supplies. 58th and Park.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Was this a Don Henley song? I'll see if I can find it in my Eagles compendium.
Don't worry...just do like the blind boy in Deliverance. When Manton cracks his knuckles, it's time to rondo! Will you visit
foo.gif
? - B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads