• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Also looks like men's/boy's suits in linen and cotton not mentioned.

So if my next Steed suit is 50/50 wool/linen (it is), do I only get hit for the weight of the wool composition? But really, I'll just have the Steed boys label it as linen/non-animal fiber. Problem solved.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if my next Steed suit is 50/50 wool/linen (it is), do I only get hit for the weight of the wool composition? But really, I'll just have the Steed boys label it as linen/non-animal fiber. Problem solved.
Woah, I don't know. Curious to hear how this goes for you. I'm just starting to read the full document, which appears go into full detail and specifics.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TN001

Reaction score
In the meantime, I would suggest an email to the White House stating that you're a "big fan", but this tariff is a bridge too far . . .

TN001

Reaction score
My guess is that to the extent US demand contracts a bit, they will pull back the visits. Although perhaps they will become not just fitting trips but "delivery" trips. Still, I've noticed Savile Row tailors adding places like Atlanta and New Orleans to their schedules, and I would think that might prove difficult.

I remember reading somewhere that lawyers representing retailers in Chicago were trying to push for state sales tax (at the time of sale) on English tailors coming into Chicago. I don't know the details though.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to turn this into a political thread - but is the US these tariffs as leverage for an 'ask'? From what I've read its in retaliation for the EU subsidizing AirBus per the WTO...but a) why not place tariffs on airplane related items instead of these consumer-focused items (wine, clothes, cheese...some of my favorite things) , and b) Do we have a demand out there that would be met that would result in the elimination of these tariffs

hopefully two front trade wars are as devastating to the homeland as two front war wars

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not to turn this into a political thread - but is the US these tariffs as leverage for an 'ask'?

That's basically the strategy of a tit-for-tat trade war, but it also risks ratcheting up.

It's an open question whether these tariffs would be renegotiated with Brexit. Or what's even going to happen with Brexit. This is an EU and Airbus fight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads