• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does this mbt stack up against Kotaro-san?
Based on my experience with Kotaro, I think he is a bit overrated. Sure he is great with the needle, but I am not sure if he cuts and fits as well as he sews.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kotaro is (coming from a guy who tried more tailors than Simon Crompton) very very precise in his cut and fittings. Definitely a more modern cut. Not as roomy as the Neapolitans.

He is the only tailor that wow'd me with his fit during our first meeting. I don't think he is overrated, he is very good with his distinct modern Florentine cut. People just may have the false expectation of Kotaro's house style being their ideal cut and fit.

The "best tailor" is different for everyone because one tailor can't cover all styles of cut and fit. Kotaro is just the best among the current generation of tailors.

tdang

Reaction score
I will not receive my first finished garments from Kotaro until later this spring, but from the past 4 meetings/ fittings with him, my impression is that a solid fit is of paramount importance to Kotaro, and he has certainly achieved that for me.

I have a slightly more pronounced upper torso, and have always been rather self-conscious about my relatively beefy quads, so I almost always prefer more volume everywhere. Kotaro changed my mind about that. He showed me how a narrower sleeve coupled with a closer fitting hip - while still well within the boundaries of what is comfortable - can look really flattering. It was just not a look that I was used to seeing.

A few weeks back when I was in Florence, I had a fitting with Zizolfi immediately after one with Kotaro, and the feeling is discernibly different. Much more volume and freedom of movement, but to me that doesn't necessarily mean a superior 'fit'. It's just a different thing.

IMG_5267.JPG

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will not receive my first finished garments from Kotaro until later this spring, but from the past 4 meetings/ fittings with him, my impression is that a solid fit is of paramount importance to Kotaro, and he has certainly achieved that for me.

I have a slightly more pronounced upper torso, and have always been rather self-conscious about my relatively beefy quads, so I almost always prefer more volume everywhere. Kotaro changed my mind about that. He showed me how a narrower sleeve coupled with a closer fitting hip - while still well within the boundaries of what is comfortable - can look really flattering. It was just not a look that I was used to seeing.

A few weeks back when I was in Florence, I had a fitting with Zizolfi immediately after one with Kotaro, and the feeling is discernibly different. Much more volume and freedom of movement, but to me that doesn't necessarily mean a superior 'fit'. It's just a different thing.

View attachment 1929433
Was that zizifoli?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Liverano tailor jumped ship. The end is nigh.
Is taka a tailor? Or just front of house? Not saying taka was the one who jumped. Just thinking, if taka is being groomed to run the show eventually & he’s a tailor, they’ll be fine

Last edited:

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is taka a tailor? Or just front of house? Not saying taka was the one who jumped. Just thinking, if taka is being groomed to run the show eventually & he’s a tailor, they’ll be fine
Taka never touched a pair of shears in his life.

more details, please
Leonardo left last week.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
Going to commission a jacket w/ Pirozzi. Thinking about a mid greyish herringbone tweed jacket. Any recs on cloth and weight (was initially thinking a fox, sherry, or harris tweed around 12-15 oz weight)

Viatu

Reaction score
The first ex-Liverano tailor who embraces (online) MTM I think will make a nice coin. I just checked Leonardo's IG and I see he's jumped ship.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first ex-Liverano tailor who embraces (online) MTM I think will make a nice coin. I just checked Leonardo's IG and I see he's jumped ship.
I would take my chances with online bespoke before MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics