• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures from a fitting I did with Cad & The Dandy last week in Florence. The cloth is @dieworkwear's Summer Tweed and the idea for the suit is taken from the linen (looking) suit that the villainous character Rene Belloq wore in the Egyptian desert scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Which is to say, a safari-style jacket, rear box pleat, half belt, and (gasp) center vent. Pockets also box pleated with the two hip pockets also flapped. The trousers are high-waisted with double forward pleats, no cuffs (of course). This first, baste, fitting went very well. I think the suit will turn out very well. I'll be back in London in mid-March for a forward fitting and, with luck, I'll be able to pick the suit up at the end of that week. If not then, then early June.
View attachment 1316519

View attachment 1316521

View attachment 1316522
This one? I grabbed enough fabric to make a jacket and thought I'd go with NMWA x Sartoria Carrera. How would you wear your suit? On the town, out and about on vacation?

paulfreeman.jpg

giphy.gif

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one? I grabbed enough fabric to make a jacket and thought I'd go with NMWA x Sartoria Carrera. How would you wear your suit? On the town, out and about on vacation?

View attachment 1316593

View attachment 1316592
Yep, that's the one. I considered just recreating it, but then I thought it would be a good application for the Summer Tweed. I'd wear it primarily on casual occasions, I think, and for vacation and travel. I am trying to convince Mrs Andy57 to let me get her a dress like Karen Allen's in the first picture. No luck so far! 😏

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that’s an interesting commission. I have a length of the same suiting but have not yet begun to think what to do with it.
Although as Despos is my witness, we are in the process of doing a half-belted, center-pleat jacket.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Looks good. Is he comfortable with doing fittings in English?
I suppose so. I communicate with him in Polish as we are both Poles, but he is fluent in English so I guess fitting in English would not be an issue. However it would be better to ask him directly, I'm just his customer (and a friend). If you are interested you can send him a message via IG, here is his account: https://www.instagram.com/dawidkuklinski/

ixk

Reaction score
I suppose so. I communicate with him in Polish as we are both Poles, but he is fluent in English so I guess fitting in English would not be an issue. However it would be better to ask him directly, I'm just his customer (and a friend). If you are interested you can send him a message via IG, here is his account: https://www.instagram.com/dawidkuklinski/
Thanks. I was looking into Jan Kielman, who seems to offer incredibe value, so maybe two birds in one stone with a tailor. I might stop RTW altogether if Kielman gets even close to Western bespoke makers actually.

dan'l

Reaction score
Which is to say, a safari-style jacket, rear box pleat, half belt, and (gasp) center vent. Pockets also box pleated with the two hip pockets also flapped.
From your description it sounds like a Norfolk jacket. I also thought about having something similar made, but haven‘t pulled the trigger yet.

Anyways, sounds really cool and looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From your description it sounds like a Norfolk jacket. I also thought about having something similar made, but haven‘t pulled the trigger yet.

Anyways, sounds really cool and looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
No, it's not a Norfolk jacket. It doesn't have the vertical straps that a Norfolk has. If anything, it more resembles a safari jacket.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%