• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to wear an odd waistcoat, you might as well wear an odd jacket too.  In fact, that might actually be preferable so that the mismatching waistcoat looks intentional.  Otherwise, I'd go with a cummerbund.

It wasn't asked about, but it's worth noting that there is a tradition of wearing a white waistcoat with black tie. Obviously, there's less of an issue with the waistcoat potentially clashing with the jacket there, but still worth nothing. I tend to agree, however, that (1) a cummerbund, (2) a waistcoat made in the same manner as the dinner jacket (e.g. same color and lapel treatment), or (3) just wearing black to eliminate the issue altogether is optimal. I added (3), but we seem to agree on (1) and (2). And, yeah, if you have a velvet smoking jacket or something, you have a bit more in the way of options (though I'd just wear a cummerbund with it).

jec1521

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Another question for you regarding shoes. I just went to Black Lapel in NYC to get measured and have my midnight blue tuxedo on order.

Now regarding shoes, I have always wanted a pair of Allen Edmonds in both brown and black. Right now I really do not have any nice pair of shoes (I have been using brown wingtips from JC Penney that were $50) so I could really use a nice pair. So I went to an Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank near me, and the guy at the store said that you don't need patent leather with a tux, and that he comes on this forum as well. So I tried on both AE Park Aves and Carlyles.

So the question is, am I allowed to get a pair of AE Park Aves or Carlyles and shine them up real nice with my tux? Or am I relegated to buying a pair of Florsheim patent leather shoes for $140 and only ever using them with my tuxedo?

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Calf is fine, but no broguing. Give them a nice shine. Extra points for mirror shine on the cap. And get some black satin laces.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Another question for you regarding shoes. I just went to Black Lapel in NYC to get measured and have my midnight blue tuxedo on order.

Now regarding shoes, I have always wanted a pair of Allen Edmonds in both brown and black. Right now I really do not have any nice pair of shoes (I have been using brown wingtips from JC Penney that were $50) so I could really use a nice pair. So I went to an Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank near me, and the guy at the store said that you don't need patent leather with a tux, and that he comes on this forum as well. So I tried on both AE Park Aves and Carlyles.

So the question is, am I allowed to get a pair of AE Park Aves or Carlyles and shine them up real nice with my tux? Or am I relegated to buying a pair of Florsheim patent leather shoes for $140 and only ever using them with my tuxedo?

I would go with the Carlyles in black (I do think a plain toe shoe is better than a stitch cap here) and just shine them nicely before your black tie event. Technically, I believe oxfords one wears with black tie should be patent leather, but I personally hate patent leather and am more than happy to break that particular rule. It's never been an issue, and frankly, the footwear that I've seen people wear to black tie events is frequently far worse.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
I recently found these Cole Haan shoes for an incredible deal so I bought them since I don't own a decent pair of tan/brown shoes.

They are listed as a british tan color. I wish they were slightly darker, but am wondering if it is acceptable to wear with the suit I bought for my wedding. It's a Samuelsohn Navy Blue Sharkskin suit.

The bride is wearing an ivory dress and it is not very formal (her description). I realize black shoes are normally recommended for formal events, but I'm not concerned with being super formal.

I get my suit back in a week or so and will try them on together then, but am interested to hear people's opinions. Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I recently found these Cole Haan shoes for an incredible deal so I bought them since I don't own a decent pair of tan/brown shoes. They are listed as a british tan color. I wish they were slightly darker, but am wondering if it is acceptable to wear with the suit I bought for my wedding. It's a Samuelsohn Navy Blue Sharkskin suit. The bride is wearing an ivory dress and it is not very formal (her description). I realize black shoes are normally recommended for formal events, but I'm not concerned with being super formal. I get my suit back in a week or so and will try them on together then, but am interested to hear people's opinions. Thanks.
I would still go black shoes.

APT26

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a first-time poster, so hopefully this is in the correct thread. I'm getting married this December (evening ceremony, church), and am unsure about the proper attire for myself and my groomsmen. We're in the unique position of being classical musicians who all own tails and tux jackets. Is there anything I should be considering when choosing between formal/semi-formal? Would tails necessitate a higher level of formality for the bridesmaids? Should I be the only one in tails? Should we all just wear suits...? Thanks for the help!

DSauerwald

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a first-time poster, so hopefully this is in the correct thread. I'm getting married this December (evening ceremony, church), and am unsure about the proper attire for myself and my groomsmen. We're in the unique position of being classical musicians who all own tails and tux jackets. Is there anything I should be considering when choosing between formal/semi-formal? Would tails necessitate a higher level of formality for the bridesmaids? Should I be the only one in tails? Should we all just wear suits...? Thanks for the help!

Also a classical musician, getting married in about a week. I decided not to wear the tails because A) feels like a uniform (because it is) and B) it's a next-to-impossible look for most guest-lists, so your wedding party will look like they're at a different event than the guests. Considering that your guests will probably wear suits (at best), I'd say a tuxedo is the maximum level of formality you'd want to go.

You should choose the dress code that you and your bride feel will strike the right balance between the elegance of the event and the comfort of your guests. Most people don't have the option to wear tails, but very few people should exercise the option. Unless, of course, they're SF members and all their guests are too.

APT26

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I hadn't thought of this as an excuse NOT to wear my uniform. Congrats on your own wedding!

JDMills

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a wedding to go to in June. Normally this isn't a problem I have a go to wedding look, navy suit, white shirt, silver wedding tie, black caps. However this one is more rural, and in the summer. The groom and his merry men are wearing "grey" tuxedos, (didn't know that was a thing). As it's more country-esq, and in the day, I was thinking of wearing a tan suit, (Paul Stuart 2 button single vent) blue striped shirt with a white collar, a navy tie with white dots and brown suede half brogues. I think this would work, (mind you all in my head), but do you think it sounds cohesive enough?

Thanks!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a wedding to go to in June. Normally this isn't a problem I have a go to wedding look, navy suit, white shirt, silver wedding tie, black caps. However this one is more rural, and in the summer. The groom and his merry men are wearing "grey" tuxedos, (didn't know that was a thing). As it's more country-esq, and in the day, I was thinking of wearing a tan suit, (Paul Stuart 2 button single vent) blue striped shirt with a white collar, a navy tie with white dots and brown suede half brogues. I think this would work, (mind you all in my head), but do you think it sounds cohesive enough?

Thanks!

I'm a sucker for tradition (and hence the first look). A grey tuxedo, while a questionable choice, is probably an attempt at a slightly more formal grey suit. I wouldn't think the navy suit would be out of place. The look you describe isn't bad for the country, though unless we're talking about a linen (or perhaps khaki) suit, I don't really see the point of switching colors. In my experience, people still wear city colors to weddings in rural areas, but I can see why you'd want linen or cotton in the summer if your navy suit is a substantial enough wool.

AX2007

Reaction score
I have been searching for shoes for my wedding, and am not quite sure what I should do. Does anyone have a suggestion for one piece calf shoes to go with my morning suit and perhaps even other suits? I saw a pair by carmina that were absolutely stunning but I was unsure of whether I can wear them with more than just the morning suit, and paying that much for shoes I'll wear maybe once a year or one every couple of years didn't seem right.

If anyone has a suggestion for a different shoe to go with a morning suit, I'm open to suggestion. Thank you!

Shewta

Reaction score
Some of the questions and answers are very interesting. The blog topic is really good so people can feel free to ask. Personally, even I had a doubt about the men’s hand accessories. Online, I had seen a wide range of hand accessories for the wedding at Manyavar. But I had a question- Are hand accessories for men really so trending for weddings?

facet

Reaction score
I have been searching for shoes for my wedding, and am not quite sure what I should do. Does anyone have a suggestion for one piece calf shoes to go with my morning suit and perhaps even other suits? I saw a pair by carmina that were absolutely stunning but I was unsure of whether I can wear them with more than just the morning suit, and paying that much for shoes I'll wear maybe once a year or one every couple of years didn't seem right.

If anyone has a suggestion for a different shoe to go with a morning suit, I'm open to suggestion. Thank you!

I'll defer to our resident expert, but wouldnt a simple pair of black captoes be sufficient for a morning suit?

AX2007

Reaction score
I'll defer to our resident expert, but wouldnt a simple pair of black captoes be sufficient for a morning suit?

That's a good question... I thought perhaps captoes were a little too business-y for the morning suit, but I really have no clue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads