Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Ideally you would want balmoral or button boots in plain or quarter brogue styles, but regular oxfords should do the trick too. Captoes feel like they'd work a little better on the boots than the oxfords, but you should be all right.

2. The Millennial Gentleman

The Millennial Gentleman Senior member

Judging by the website, I would think you to be somewhere near India? In that case, hand accessories might indeed be on the rise/norm as they usually signify high class or royalty in a place where gold is still king.

In the U.S. hand accessories are generally out of style for a little. About 10 years ago, a nice small pinky ring was in...times change.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I don't claim to be the resident expert by any means, but yes. A pair of cap toed or punch cap oxfords are more than sufficient.

4. The Millennial Gentleman

The Millennial Gentleman Senior member

I put together a little video on the problems with the tux shops with wedding fashion. Give it a watch and let me know if you agree or not:

5. facet

facet Senior member

Oh I know. I'm just pumping up your tires since you have a deeper knowledge base than I do :)

6. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I would not stress too much about what shoes to wear with your morning suit. Any black laced shoe in good condition well polished will be good. I would go for a black captoe but at my wedding I wore black brogues and my son wore black jodhpurs with his morning suit at his.

7. pi34

pi34 Senior member

Have a Memorials Day wedding on the Cape. Type of group/crew where I'm sure seersucker will be abound. Debating between two suits from the bay...leaning towards #2 for more utility. Just not sure if the pattern is too distracting for a wedding.

IMG_2488.PNG IMG_2487.PNG

8. bronamath

bronamath Member

Could use some help on completing my outfit. Vintage inspired wedding in the afternoon at Disney world. Here's what I have and think would work, but could use some opinions..

I own a navy suit that fits me well from black lapel https://blacklapel.com/shop/suits/navy-blue-custom-suit

I was able to score the last pair of Oak and Bone colored AE Broadstreets from the shoe bank in my size [​IMG]

I also have a pretty cool Brooks Brothers shirt from the Gatsby collection that isn't ridiculous old-timey looking, but has some vintage flourishes..

[​IMG]

I could use advice on a good tie to go with this, as well as perhaps a vest? Was thinking of going with something grey/brownish for the vest if I even need one. No idea on a tie, don't wear them much so could really use an assist.

Also for groomsmen. I was thinking of just having them wear their nicest grey or navy suit and a white shirt. For their ties, I was thinking of gifting them complimentary wedding ties, as well as a pair of spectator shoes (like the above, although cheaper/easier to find).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

9. Pandawan

Pandawan New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm getting married in several months and I have a question about the attire for my groomsmen. I'm wearing a dark charcoal suit and I'm trying to decide what to have my groomsmen wear. I know that black suits at weddings is "taboo" but all my groomsmen have black suits already. I don't want to make everyone get gray suits as they are all in different financial shape. The bride doesn't care if they wear black, and honestly neither do I.

Is this OK or considered unacceptable?

Thanks

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Congratulations on your wedding. Basically, here's the deal. Black suits are frowned upon for a number of non-wedding specific reasons. I'll spare you my own diatribe on the subject. In short, they are generally seen as too stark for business / daytime wear and they also go with a limited number of shirt and tie combinations (a lot look cheap, but that's a separate issue that is suit specific). These weaknesses can be at least partially offset if your wedding is in the evening (not sure since you don't say) and if one is wearing a white shirt and wedding tie in the silver / grey color range, each of which should be relatively easy to ensure. Oddly enough, a wedding might be the second least bad place for a black suit (the least being a funeral). Morning coats can be made in black, as can the old semi-formal stroller that doesn't get worn much (of course, each of these has contrasting trousers).

Under the circumstances, the best solution may be to simply have each of your groomsmen wear their best dark suit even if it's black. It's not ideal, but I get not wanting to make everyone buy a new suit (even if they really should replace their black suits for the sake of their sartorial souls). Ultimately, it's up to you. It's your wedding and they're your friends.

11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

If you can afford to buy your groomsmen new suits, or if they can afford to rent suits, then I'd insist on a specific color. If not, go with what ya got. That's not a rule, just what I would do. I agree that black is an unfortunate color for nearly every man to have their one suit in, but if that's the biggest problem at your wedding then you're doing ok.

12. pi34

pi34 Senior member

I feel like the biggest thing is that your bride doesn't actually care. It's not a terribly big deal then, IMO... as someone (posted above) decided to just wear a suit that is a little more business than casual to the most recent wedding I had to attend rather than drop a few hundred on a suit (and hotel...and driving... etc.)... weddings are pretty expensive for attendees (too) as is.