• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All I have access to are mats. It's pretty easy to tell when you're striking the ball flush vs hitting it fat, even on a mat. The results are more similar than they would be off grass, but you can still feel the mis-hit.

Anything that you can feel as fat on a mat would be an egriousiously fat shot on the course - one of those that goes only 20 yards total, vs. of one of those that goes 145 instead of 155.

The danger zone is shots that don't feel fat on a mat, but would be such on the course. Mats can be very misleading because even the 20-yarder will go 130 off of the mat.

Bear in mind that on grass, the ball tends to be much more sunken into the grass/ground vs. on a mat, where it sits nicely on top. Thus on grass the margin of error between thin and fat is meaningfully smaller.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I have access to are mats. It's pretty easy to tell when you're striking the ball flush vs hitting it fat, even on a mat. The results are more similar than they would be off grass, but you can still feel the mis-hit.

I agree with this. For now I have only access to mats too, I'm not playing as much as I used to. But at the golf course I used to play, the range were mats too.

If someone is a good player, that player can know when he is hitting it flush even from a mat, I would even say that most of the people in the range will notice, the sound it's way too different.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this falls outside of what you consider to be significant, but I am including "a little fat" in what I am describing as the problem. When you're a scratch, catching the ball a little fat and having it come up 10 yds short is material.

Given the way the ball sits up perfectly on a mat (not rolling into a depression or in between tufts of grass), you probably have a ~0.5 inch vertical tolerance to hit the ball neither fat nor thin.

On grass, a portion of the lower end of that range is eliminated, since the ball is sitting lower compared to surroundings (ground) that could impede the clubhead and muffle impact. Maybe your tolerance becomes ~0.5 inch minus 1/8 inch.

Regardless of whether you are a good player or a bad one, the mat is giving you better feedback than what you would get off of grass.

Note that the difference in outcomes will be particularly more pronounced with a draw or long irons/woods off the deck (low angle of attack). On a mat, you could drag a 3 wood for six inches and still produce a good shot.

For some players this will be less noticeable than for others.

If you need to improve your game and have no alternative, it's definitely better than nothing, but I would seek out grass if it all possible.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe this falls outside of what you consider to be significant, but I am including "a little fat" in what I am describing as the problem. When you're a scratch, catching the ball a little fat and having it come up 10 yds short is material.

Given the way the ball sits up perfectly on a mat (not rolling into a depression or in between tufts of grass), you probably have a ~0.5 inch vertical tolerance to hit the ball neither fat nor thin.

On grass, a portion of the lower end of that range is eliminated, since the ball is sitting lower compared to surroundings (ground) that could impede the clubhead and muffle impact. Maybe your tolerance becomes ~0.5 inch minus 1/8 inch.

Regardless of whether you are a good player or a bad one, the mat is giving you better feedback than what you would get off of grass.

Note that the difference in outcomes will be particularly more pronounced with a draw or long irons/woods off the deck (low angle of attack). On a mat, you could drag a 3 wood for six inches and still produce a good shot.

For some players this will be less noticeable than for others.

If you need to improve your game and have no alternative, it's definitely better than nothing, but I would seek out grass if it all possible.

Nice analisys. I think your point is clear and objective. In the 3 wood part, I think you will notice that you hit it fat. Personally, I feel in a trap when using mats. I only shot to one spot, I feel that I'm going to hit the guy that it's at the back mat and that I'm going to hit the tray where the balls are, but as far as I can repeat my swing, I'll be happy. And all I want, is to hear the sound between the ball and the club.

I used to be a -3 here in Mexico (+3 in the US) but playing golf at the city is way way too expensive.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
arch_yuppies' comment on wedges are pretty sound advice...learning different chipping shots/trajectory with SW and PW is the way to go. I cant wait to tee off this season...missed last year (2.5 rounds) due to a back injury...decent ballstriking at the range...Chicago area is saturated/wet due to rain so not really ideal for play right now..

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agreed, I live in NYC and only play when I travel to other states/countries. Which sucks.
that sucks man...how about Bethpage Park? last time I played the Black was 1999...what a thrill meeting all those people at the parking lot and a beast of a track...I can't imagine now after recent US Open changes

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that sucks man...how about Bethpage Park? last time I played the Black was 1999...what a thrill meeting all those people at the parking lot and a beast of a track...I can't imagine now after recent US Open changes

It really is an all day affair. Unless you're registered, and a NY State resident, you have to arrive at 5am or so to get your name in the hat for a tee time. You likely won't leave until mid to late afternoon at the earliest. Oh it's an hour train ride to Manhattan.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It really is an all day affair. Unless you're registered, and a NY State resident, you have to arrive at 5am or so to get your name in the hat for a tee time. You likely won't leave until mid to late afternoon at the earliest. Oh it's an hour train ride to Manhattan.

Exactly, I'm not willing to commit that amount of time and transportation hell for a round of golf around here.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will love to play in Bethpage, I wouldn't care about my score. 
while I was happy with an 85 playing the Black (mid tees), and being from out of state, the best part was waiting/camping at the parking lot for 2-3 hours, talking to other hardcore golfers and of course local New Yorkers. sharing stories and drinks...I recall, met a number of FDNY guys that day. what a bunch of great and proud guys...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly, I'm not willing to commit that amount of time and transportation hell for a round of golf around here.

Then again...it'd only be worth it if you had a guaranteed spot to get on the Black. I walked it during the Barclays and WHAT A COURSE!

salisboss

Reaction score
Picked up my discount card. Ready for a summer of fun at the 6 munis in my county.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

salisboss

Reaction score
Picked up my discount card. Ready for a summer of fun at the 6 munis in my county. Got a tee time for tomorrow morning. :D

salisboss

Reaction score
94 today (par 65) fell apart on the back nine. Got really out of sorts when I passed the foursome ahead of me. I rushed for a few holes when I would have sped away at my normal pace. Thanks for the sand wedge tips. Got to work on it but those 50 yard and pitches worked better. My current big problem is that my irons tend to fall to the right (only 5-10 yards so not a big slice) but it makes getting near the pin or landing on the green difficult.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt