• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bubba Watson leading in driving distance for the 2012 Tour. Average driving distance 315.9. yards

We need a get your hand off ********* emoticon.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh hey Fang, forgot to mention. Awesome pics! thanks for posting. Looks like a really fun course. Wish we had some super tight stuff like that around here.

My home course is more of a links style course that has trees in the mix and weaves through some mountainous areas. Most holes are pretty open, it would be a pretty big change for me to go play a course like that in Japan. Would def be detrimental to my score.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh hey Fang, forgot to mention. Awesome pics! thanks for posting. Looks like a really fun course. Wish we had some super tight stuff like that around here.
My home course is more of a links style course that has trees in the mix and weaves through some mountainous areas. Most holes are pretty open, it would be a pretty big change for me to go play a course like that in Japan. Would def be detrimental to my score.

Not if you play smart golf (I don't) Hit 3 wood on some of the tighter par 4s for example.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not if you play smart golf (I don't) Hit 3 wood on some of the tighter par 4s for example.

Yeah I try to do that now. Basically any par 4 under 400-ish yards I'll hit a 3 or 4 iron off the tee or my 4 wood if it's a bit more open. Other than that, it's bombs away.

Heading out to the course in about 15 min. Really going to focus on not hitting an iron over 80%, backing off and taking an extra club, and keeping my short game tidy around the greens. Hit some good 30-60yd wedges yesterday so hopefully I'll do more of the same this round.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I try to do that now. Basically any par 4 under 400-ish yards I'll hit a 3 or 4 iron off the tee or my 4 wood if it's a bit more open. Other than that, it's bombs away.
Heading out to the course in about 15 min. Really going to focus on not hitting an iron over 80%, backing off and taking an extra club, and keeping my short game tidy around the greens. Hit some good 30-60yd wedges yesterday so hopefully I'll do more of the same this round.

I've been trying to swing more smoothly at a slightly slower speed with my irons in practice, rather than consciously backing off on course. When I decide OK I'm just going to hit an easy 6 iron instead of a 7 iron for example, I invariably push it right.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to golf this weekend, but I don't think it will be possible, damn weddings get in the way.

I want to work on my 8i and below some more and really focus on getting my distances. Next time I hit the course I'm going to tee up with a 5w or 3i rather than my driver, on sub 400 yard par 4's, to force me to hit 120-160 yard approach shots.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been trying to swing more smoothly at a slightly slower speed with my irons in practice, rather than consciously backing off on course. When I decide OK I'm just going to hit an easy 6 iron instead of a 7 iron for example, I invariably push it right.

Made a point to do this on the range before I played. Just swung super smooth and easy. I hit some great iron shots this round. Highlight of the round though was playing through a group that was already in the fairway on a 495 yd par 5. They waved us through. Teed off over top of them and out drove all them by 50ish yards. Then stepped up to my ball in the middle of the fairway and hit a nice draw with a 7 iron to 6 feet from 175. Felt like a boss. (then i missed the eagle putt :embar: )

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made a point to do this on the range before I played. Just swung super smooth and easy. I hit some great iron shots this round. Highlight of the round though was playing through a group that was already in the fairway on a 495 yd par 5. They waved us through. Teed off over top of them and out drove all them by 50ish yards. Then stepped up to my ball in the middle of the fairway and hit a nice draw with a 7 iron to 6 feet from 175. Felt like a boss. (then i missed the eagle putt :embar: )

Nice going, and I feel your missed putt pain.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
76ed the F' out of it today :slayer: Even after staring the front nine with a triple bogie and starting the back nine double bogie, bogie, triple bogie! Apart from those 4 holes it was like I had the ball on a string. Very happy Fang.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics