1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Nice. Try to spend as much time practicing chipping and putting as at the range.

2. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I had Rory picked in my fantasy golf pool, but switched at the last second to Stenson. :fu:

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

It was a huge lead to overcome...but S Garcia showed why he is a constant fail!

4. tropics

tropics Senior member

really? i though -6 was prettay good going.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Did you see when he muffed the bunker shot coming down the back nine?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. tropics

tropics Senior member

yeah, i saw that, he tried to get a bit too clever with it. didn't strike me as meltdown territory.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Can't wait! I'll message you if I can play.

Oof.

-6 on the last day of a major is pretty deeeeecent.

Got my Adams Hybrid in, but won't be home for another week. Planning a golfing extravaganza with one of my friends while he's off for vacation. Planning on getting in 2-3 rounds at least at some local courses. Should be a good time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Played in a little flighted tournament on Sunday. Played just awful on the front (after a bird on the first), but much better on the back. Scraped in 1 bird on the front and 2 on the back and missed a little 4 footer for another. Wound up 3rd in my flight (no idea how) and had a closest to the pin and one of my birdies wound up winning me a skin.

Given how awful my front side was that wasn't a bad result.

One of the guys in my group was a pretty nice guy, but had an explosive temper. My cart mate and I were taking bets on how long until he broke or threw a club. Turns out it was on #10. He helicoptered a pretty nice Volkey 58 degree right into the cart barn parking lot. Apparently he never considered going to get it. Some course worker's got a pretty nice club now.

1 person likes this.
  9. archetypal_yuppie

4 wedges? My opinion: too many wedges. Sounds like you're a well versed golfer, so maybe you have enough muscle memory to discern how hard to swing with a pitching wedge, a gap wedge, a sand wedge, and a lob wedge, and adjust to the swing weights, ball positions, etc. Doesn't work for me.

I tired carrying a gap wedge for a while, and a lob wedge for a while. I found that I lost touch with exactly how hard to swing to get the right distances. Only carrying a sand wedge for 110 yds and in for the last 15 years has given my intimate familiarity with how to use it.

Trade-off is having to swing softly with pitching wedge sometimes, and having to open the face of my sand wedge sometimes. No biggie.

10. archetypal_yuppie

These guys are clowns. It seams like people smashing/throwing clubs is more uncommon these days than it used to be, though.

11. Mark from Plano

Actually, it's because the opposite is true that I carry so many. Depending on conditions, because I carry so many wedges I can use something approaching a full swing all the way from 120 down to 70-75 yards. It's only inside 75 yards that I have too worry a lot about varying my swing. I've tried leaving the gap wedge at home and sure enough I wind up in a situation where I have to start figuring out how much to take off my pitching wedge for that 105 yard shot.

Between 20-70 yards I'm using my 58 degree 90% of the time unless I'm in a bunker. If I knew I was going to be playing a particularly long course where I was going to be facing a lot of 170-200 yard approaches, I might make a different decision, but that's usually not the case.

YMMV

12. archetypal_yuppie

Hmm. Matter of preference I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

14. Mark from Plano

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I saw that earlier. Not his first positive test either.

I'd probably rip 400 yard drives if I just busted a line of Colombian's finest in the porta-john before I teed off. Aww who am I kiddin'?

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:bounce2:

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

S Garcia. Up 3 going into today. Once again...he can't get it done!

(At least he isn't bitching about something.)

18. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

If i could describe my game in a word it would be: erratic. Shot a 78 again today. Only hit 6 greens. 2 double bogeys. Hit the pin from 130 yards out with a knocked down pitching wedge. Snap hooked my new hybrid into the water off the tee on one hole, the drive the fringe on the 310 yard par 4 that followed. The most frustrating part was just being the fringe master all day. probably 6-7 of the greens i missed were less than 10 feet off the green.

Going golfing with 3 of my good friends tomorrow. Not too worried about my score, as we're going to scramble, but I'm worried about potentially getting kicked off the course because things will probably get wild.

19. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Alright. Which two wives was DJ doing?

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The safe bet used to always be DLIII.