• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
^^ I was hitting pull hooks on tee shots and longer irons. Really frustrating because I like to play a small fade. I normally just tell myself to slow down my swing, better tempo, and follow through down my target line.

I think if i shanked 20 in a row i would just break my club over my leg and walk off the range.

meh. Probably have broken about a bag full of clubs by now, but the last one was 8 years ago. (at least, intentional breaks
smile.gif
)

These days I just dont care that much about the game anymore i think, just happy to be out in nature, and with friends..

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
weather permitting ill be out playing 9 holes after work today, so far its sunny which makes these last couple of hours harder to work through....

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ how'd it go?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went out yesterday as well.

guess the game went as usual. Mostly good drives, approaches had a tendency to pull a bit and no short game to speak off.

I think right now im the reverse of my younger self. Whereas in the olden days I could shoot 73 with 2 greens in regulation I now can hit 14+ greens and still not break mid seventies. Its annoying but thats what a couple of years of lack of training will do to ya. Or to quote an old training buddy; "the golf swing if neglected gets rusty like an old car, your short game however will have left you as in divorce..

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha sage wisdom right there. I always do my best to greens when I start back up because I know from 20-70yds I will have no feel at all. I skull so many short wedge shots, just have to tell my self to keep my tempo slow and my hands low after impact. I also don't expect to make a putt outside of 5 ft. Haha

.bishop

Reaction score
played 9 holes on saturday morning here in DC. 60mph wind gusts, managed a 41. greens were great for the weird weather we have been having.

My putting is off, but that is to be expected with the off season, and not really putting at all.

I expect to be back to mid 70s come april.

Any DC area people want to play this year, lets get some rounds going!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My handicap for my last five rounds---- three at the end of last year and two I've played this week, is 2.8.
smile.gif
Really ******* happy right now. Best two rounds of my life came within 24 hours of each other, and represented the beginning of my season. Losing weight and gaining strength has really helped my long game.

Schwazer

Reaction score
Nice to see a golf thread here.

Can't wait till the Masters in a couple of weeks.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ata boy kwilk. I really need to get out and play.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to the range today with the gf. looks like she likes the game, and will be able to play it decently (helps having a bf that used to be pro). happy that we will be able to play together later this summer, will make my excursions to the course a lot more frequent
smile.gif

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ My gf (college tennis player) tried to hit with me once at the range. Did not go well. You guys inspired me to head to the course today. Went to Shoal Creek. Rated #2 public course in Missouri. First time to play golf in the Midwest. 35+mph wind was nuts. I'll be ready for St. Andrews in no time. My round was so up and down, but I was expecting it since this was only the 2nd round of the year. Course was pretty soggy because it rained the past few days. Pics
2011-03-20_15-52-57_228.jpg
2011-03-20_16-25-25_462.jpg
2011-03-20_17-43-18_10.jpg
Some nice houses beside the course.
2011-03-20_16-43-05_221.jpg
2011-03-20_16-48-16_63.jpg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have a Krank Rage long driver for sale. Same head that won the world long drive championship last year.

.bishop

Reaction score
played 1757 in dulles, va .. very nice practice facility, the actual course was decent, tight fairways, ended with a 84, driver placement was off.

roycel

Reaction score
Nice. Just discovered this thread.

I had used cavity backs for nearly a decade, but switched to blades last year. I was going to go with Mizuno mp-32 (?), but I decided to pick up a set of 1977 Ben Hogan Apex blades with matching serial numbers. I even have 1 and 2 irons. I don't see the advantage to new clubs.

I get more distance than using my friend's new Mizunos, and the sound of good contact, to be honest, is nearly as good as sex.

So I mostly stick with my irons (the 4 iron is butter). I only take out the driver when my friends want to hit from 6700 yards and up. I alternate between a mid 90's Big Bertha and a Japanese-made Honma.

What clubs does everyone else use? I wanna pick up another nice set of clubs.

drum

Reaction score
I used to play a ton in college, but haven't seen a golf course in ages now. I need to play some holes again sometime. Still have my old set of MP-33s and Taylormade R510 TP driver, doubt I have the game to play them these days though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads