• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I've ordered from The Bureau, Oi-Polloi, Oki-Ni, Tres-Bien, Our Legacy, and The End. The End is the only store I've been hit with customs from Fed-Ex. I don't recall the breakdown but it was an LVC coat for $395 with total bill from Fed-Ex of around $85.00. I just ordered a pair of Tricker's from them but the shoe is a special mark up of theirs and I had a 25% code so I may end up eating some of the discount.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a parka made in the USA by Batten Sportswear from Kafka. Today I received a voice mail from UPS that I needed to call their clearance agency. When I tried to call them, the voice mail told me they are closed for the day.

My question is: has anyone in the US been charged an import fee for an item made in the USA?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an order from Oi Pollloi this week. Once again it was DHL and once again no fees.
I ordered a parka made in the USA by Batten Sportswear from Kafka. Today I received a voice mail from UPS that I needed to call their clearance agency. When I tried to call them, the voice mail told me they are closed for the day.
My question is: has anyone in the US been charged an import fee for an item made in the USA?

No, but let us know how it turns out please. Every time I order from Kafka though there's a fee.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my order from Matches today; shipped DHL to Seattle, no customs fees and their site says they ship everything to the US DDP

Mesta

Reaction score

ordered two stuff from ln-cc :
one purchase was 88, duty fees of 38
second one was 340, duty fees of 168...
**** dhl?

LN-CC refunded me all the extra that I had to paid. They said that in the sales mayhem, DDP was forgotten on the sheet so they will refund everything extra. Lucy was helpful!
That is cool.

BigC222

Reaction score
Some members posted above that TBS has been relatively duty free. I disagree with that one as I have been hit every time I bought something there except for the first time when I bought some CP chukkas. Not sure if it's the COD or the actual duty but the cost has been around $20-25 each time (Canadian taxes + handling fee, which is actually the blunt of the cost). I find that with FedEx it was less about the cost of the items as the tax from there is minimal and you're basically paying for the transaction fee. Still, I find that the TBS discounts are good enough that it's worth paying for it.

From personal experience, my favourite right now is Mr. Porter as shipping to Canada is $21.00 (another member mentioned that it's really shipping + DHL costs) and that to me is worth it as a lot of US retailers charge that much just for shipping and it takes a day for my package to arrive which is probably the quickest I have had.

Coopa

Reaction score
Got an order from Oi Pollloi this week. Once again it was DHL and once again no fees.

No, but let us know how it turns out please. Every time I order from Kafka though there's a fee.
How much have you paid when dealing with Kafka? Did they put the retail/paid price on the item, or mark it lower to avoid customs? Some stores are willing to do that.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Le Rayon Frais marks down the value of the package and deducts VAT?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've ordered several times from Yoox with delivery to Canada and have never paid duty. Luck or is that common?

Also: great thread.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got hit with a 61.04 UPS charge for a purchase from Kafka; so far, no invoice from FedEx for a purchase from End.

Feji

Reaction score
There's a Fedex customs/duties estimate tool for people who are interested (you will have to sign up for a basic Fedex account to access it) : https://www.fedex.com/EDT?cntry_code=bz
Of course, it wont be 100% accurate, since it really depends on how the shipper fills out the customs declaration form...but you can get a good sense of what to expect if you get hit with a customs bill.

Also, signing up for UPS MyChoice is one of the best things I've done. You can verify your home/work address(es) and the UPS network will automatically associate packages shipped to those addresses to your account. This works in conjunction with their iphone app, so I basically don't need to do any cut and pasting to track packages on my phone... I just open the UPS app and the tracking info is already there.

Hype1234

Reaction score
I got hit with $90 in FedEx duties on my Norse Store order for a pair of $230 boots shipped to Vancouver BC. It sucked haha. But still an ok purchase in the end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads