1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Is this tried and true? I remember buying a Cabourn made it Scotland sweater vest from LN-cc ages ago to ship to Australia and I didn't get hit by duties, I think they marked it as $10?

This time i'm looking to get about three things that'll be $200 over the limit before i'll (possibly) get hit by duties in Australia.

Is it a safer bet just to make two separate purchases and sigh pay for shipping twice?

The last time I got hit by fees from FEDEX for a junya piece and i had to pay $200 to get it released :(

Then again, I've had DHL packages before for under AUD1000 and have never had duties

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. cl smooth

cl smooth Senior member

I'm actually second guessing myself about this now as well. I bought a $300 made in Italy item about 7 months ago in May and they marked it down for me so I didn't have to pay duties. But it seems like over the summer they started marking it at full value. Now I'm hearing that they are still marking full value, but might be swallowing the duties on their end so the customer doesn't have to pay. Does anyone know?

3. Feji

Feji Senior member

Although it's not anywhere on LN-CC's website, according to their Cyber Monday (Nov 26) email they state :
    "Along with free shipping to all international destinations, we are also pleased to announce that prices are now completely inclusive of all duty charges."

I ordered about $900 total, they shipped DHL and did not mark down. I've yet to get any word from DHL about duties/taxes owed.

Edit : note the free shipping was in regards to the promo they were running for Cyber Monday only.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Maybe that was just part of the promo?

I emailed them yesterday and they just quoted their terms and conditions on this and said:

"Afraid as per our terms and conditions we do currently ship on a delivery duty unpaid basis, therefore we cannot guarantee you will not face additional duty charges.
    Our warehouse can try and do their best but afraid you may still receive duty charges."

No idea what that means though

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

My package from lncc arrived earlier this week and was shipped ddp.

6. gnippiks

gnippiks Active Member

I think this has also been confirmed by others, but based on my correspondence with LN-CC, my understanding is that LN-CC currently only ships DDP to North America.

Their website currently has at least two versions: a "northamerica" version and a "restofworld" version.

For example, when I access a product from this page:
    http://www.ln-cc.com/en/northamerica/mens-brands/ann-demeulemeester/icat/anndemeulemeestermen/
    the price is in USD and when I click on "Shipping", the page says "Please note that all prices are inclusive of any duty or customs charges".

If I access the same product from this page:
    http://www.ln-cc.com/en/restofworld/mens-brands/ann-demeulemeester/icat/anndemeulemeestermen/
    the price is in GBP and the "Shipping" page does not say anything about prices being inclusive of duties.

(I'm guessing they do some fancy stuff with cookies to determine whether you get to see the northamerica or restofworld version of a product page, because the product page URLs are invariant.)

7. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

what do they have against the citizens of the rest of the world? srsly?!

"Our warehouse can try and do their best but afraid you may still receive duty charges"

Does that sound like a hint that they'll do it? there needs to be an email function for *taps on nose*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  8. Sym

Sym Senior member

Any Canadians experience any added charges from Aloha or Start London?

9. brndnb

brndnb Member

Anyone in Canada have experience shopping at Acrimony? Any extra duties/charges?

thx.

10. wumbo17412

wumbo17412 Member

Got some W+H from acrimony black friday sales, shipped to Ontario by USPS and I didn't have to pay any duties.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

Great thread. I've ordered from The Bureau, Oi-Polloi, Oki-Ni, Tres-Bien, Our Legacy, and The End. The End is the only store I've been hit with customs from Fed-Ex. I don't recall the breakdown but it was an LVC coat for $395 with total bill from Fed-Ex of around $85.00. I just ordered a pair of Tricker's from them but the shoe is a special mark up of theirs and I had a 25% code so I may end up eating some of the discount.

12. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

I ordered a parka made in the USA by Batten Sportswear from Kafka. Today I received a voice mail from UPS that I needed to call their clearance agency. When I tried to call them, the voice mail told me they are closed for the day.

My question is: has anyone in the US been charged an import fee for an item made in the USA?

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Got an order from Oi Pollloi this week. Once again it was DHL and once again no fees.
    No, but let us know how it turns out please. Every time I order from Kafka though there's a fee.

14. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Got my order from Matches today; shipped DHL to Seattle, no customs fees and their site says they ship everything to the US DDP

15. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

LN-CC refunded me all the extra that I had to paid. They said that in the sales mayhem, DDP was forgotten on the sheet so they will refund everything extra. Lucy was helpful!
    That is cool.

16. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Lucy kicks ass. Always a pleasure dealing with ln-cc ime.

17. BigC222

BigC222 Senior member

Some members posted above that TBS has been relatively duty free. I disagree with that one as I have been hit every time I bought something there except for the first time when I bought some CP chukkas. Not sure if it's the COD or the actual duty but the cost has been around $20-25 each time (Canadian taxes + handling fee, which is actually the blunt of the cost). I find that with FedEx it was less about the cost of the items as the tax from there is minimal and you're basically paying for the transaction fee. Still, I find that the TBS discounts are good enough that it's worth paying for it.

From personal experience, my favourite right now is Mr. Porter as shipping to Canada is $21.00 (another member mentioned that it's really shipping + DHL costs) and that to me is worth it as a lot of US retailers charge that much just for shipping and it takes a day for my package to arrive which is probably the quickest I have had.

18. Sym

Sym Senior member

^ Same experience with TBS for the most part. Fuck Fedex :slayer:

19. Coopa

Coopa Senior member

How much have you paid when dealing with Kafka? Did they put the retail/paid price on the item, or mark it lower to avoid customs? Some stores are willing to do that.

20. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Anyone know if Le Rayon Frais marks down the value of the package and deducts VAT?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013