• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

velomane

Reaction score

Anybody in the US had an experience with a store in the EU that won't refund VAT? I bought something from Spence, and they're saying it's against their policy to refund VAT.

According to their web site, they're VAT registered: http://www.spenceclothing.com/store/index.php?page=termini

As a rule, I won't pay tax in someone else's jurisdiction. If they won't deduct the VAT from your purchase, tell 'em to shove it. Take your business elsewhere.

pdsf

Reaction score

Anybody in the US had an experience with a store in the EU that won't refund VAT? I bought something from Spence, and they're saying it's against their policy to refund VAT.

According to their web site, they're VAT registered: http://www.spenceclothing.com/store/index.php?page=termini

Same as what Velomane said above, I refused to buy from retailers who don't refund VAT. They are basically cheating, pocketing the VAT as extra profit. One of those retailers is Coggles in the UK - they blatantly told me they would not refund VAT. I have boycotted them since. There are enough shops around. The only exception I have made is with Marks and Spencer because as a Brit living in the US I often crave their stuff (best undies!!!) and they did offer me free shipping so I thought. "Okay, Marks and Sparks, I shall let you get away with it you cheeky monkey."

TheObserver

Reaction score
Same as what Velomane said above, I refused to buy from retailers who don't refund VAT. They are basically cheating, pocketing the VAT as extra profit. One of those retailers is Coggles in the UK - they blatantly told me they would not refund VAT. I have boycotted them since. There are enough shops around. The only exception I have made is with Marks and Spencer because as a Brit living in the US I often crave their stuff (best undies!!!) and they did offer me free shipping so I thought. "Okay, Marks and Sparks, I shall let you get away with it you cheeky monkey."

Coggles is full of ****. Got a pair of boots in black but it turned out to be dark brown. Their product images are so ****** that they cannot display the real color. I filed a complaint and they only said sorry and offered 10% refund as compensation on $600 boots. I could not return it either cuz I paid $63 custom duty and they don't refund that money. Not to mention banking international transaction fee. And yes, they don't deduct VAT. Still waiting for 10% refund after nearly 2 months.

Last edited:

pdsf

Reaction score

Coggles is full of ****. Got a pair of boots in black but it turned out to be dark brown. Their product images are so ****** that they cannot display the real color. I filed a complaint and they only said sorry and offered 10% refund as compensation on $600 boots. I could not return it either cuz I paid $63 custom duty and they don't refund that money. Not to mention banking international transaction fee. And yes, they don't deduct VAT. Still waiting for 10% refund after nearly 2 months. 

That's terrible. I remember the way they told me they wouldn't deduct/refund VAT was kinda blunt actually - it was like "we don't deduct VAT; you pay exactly how much it shows on the checkout page. Bye."

I wish we had a thread devoted to feedback on shops....

1989thenumber

Reaction score

Agreed, I won't buy from EU sellers who charge VAT when shipping outside EU. It's a massive rip off. You're right, they're pocketing the money. I stopped using Goodhood for that reason.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't be shopping at Gasmy again. Bought some basics that came out to $170. Shipping was $40 so I paid $210 overall. The geniuses there marked down the package value as $210 even though I asked them to put the total as without shipping. So I got a customs bill from DHL for $73.24. It was $66.75 for import/export duties and a deferment fee of $6.49.

I believe anything under $200 should be customs free. I am going to call DHL tomorrow.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must've been the only person to ever successfully order from there without any issues. :embar:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've ordered from gasmy twice. First order there was a bit of delay in shipping but nothing major.
Both were shipped via TNT (whoever the hell they are) with delivery in US by Fedex.
Got dinged with customs+usual Fedex fee for one order. The other one slipped by.
Each order was for a pair of shoes with value over $300.

BTW, having a sender mark something as "gift" may actually screw you. You're allowed $100 in gifts duty free but $200 otherwise.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/919/kw/personal exemption

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to DHL and sent Gasmy an email asking them to give the proper invoice to DHL separating shipping costs. Hopefully they resolve things quickly

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Does UPS only do COD (as opposed to leaving the package and sending a bill)? They've tried to deliver my order from Spence twice and I've gotten a delivery exception both times (oddly, they haven't rung the bell either time).

I'm somewhat tempted to let them return the package to Spence and just get my money back, but I'm not sure if they'll still try to collect the $40 I apparently owe them. Not sure how much of that is customs fees and how much is their brokerage fee.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you have to pay by check to the driver.

I remember my order from Spence was a huge hassle. UPS wouldn't deliver the package to my work and their hold for pickup locations are useless. Closes at 5pm M-F and closed weekends, so it was pretty much impossible for anyone with a regular job to get a package from UPS that required a signature or duties payment. Ended up asking my neighbor to wait in my house for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads