• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought any clothing over $200 in US is auto custom?

Assuming they inspect it

pasteurisation

Reaction score
I have a question. eBay offers Global Shipping Program that lets a buyer pay customs at checkout, doesn't it? Why does Canadian still have to pay customs on a made-in-USA or Canada product even though USA and Canada have an agreement on free trade? Doesn't this make sense?

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man moving overseas suck. I tried to keep my stuffs to minimum, so basically most of the stuffs I carry across are my clothes/shoes.
On one hand, I am appalled at the TSA horror stories of bags disappearing due to poor handling, and I am also annoyed at the possibility that I might have to pay 28% customs for my clothing because the value of the contents is above their $1500 limit (Around $5-6k). Hopefully I read the rules wrong and I won't be subject to customs bomb..

Last edited:

1989thenumber

Reaction score

I have a question. eBay offers Global Shipping Program that lets a buyer pay customs at checkout, doesn't it? Why does Canadian still have to pay customs on a made-in-USA or Canada product even though USA and Canada have an agreement on free trade? Doesn't this make sense?

NAFTA isn't a blanket agreement that covers everything. It depends where something is made and what the item is, among other things. It's an arcane business.

ReversoLover

Reaction score
Does anyone know about aphrodite 1994 or six whiting street? Both are shipping from the UK to the US for items that are <$100 USD...I called the Six Whiting Street people and they said they'll mark the items lower. Looks like aphrodite uses FedEx and 6WS using DHL...any thoughts?

NativeTxn

Reaction score
I live in the US and bought a pair of shoes from Herring's (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk) in the UK. I received the shoes, but ended up returning them for a full refund of the purchase price (obviously, shipping from and to was on me). The return happened and was credited back to me on 7/8/2014.

Today (7/12/2014), I received an invoice from DHL with an invoice date of 7/7/2014 and a payment due date of 7/14/2014 showing a 10% duty ($38.13) on the shoes and a "Payment Deferment" of $6.50, for a total due to DHL of $44.63.

My question is, since I returned the shoes for a complete refund, do I still have to pay the $44.63?

I don't see why I would since it is essentially as if I never purchased them since I sent them back and got a refund. However, I presume that DHL fronted the duty (and I am guessing that the $6.50 is for some sort of handling or administrative charge).

I searched on the US Government Trade website but couldn't find an answer, so I defer to the experts here who may have run into the same/similar situation before.

Thanks in advance.

NativeTxn

Reaction score
Thanks. Next question: do I need to pay DHL and then file for a refund?

Or can I show DHL the refund invoice and it is up to them to seek the refund?

Also, if you do not pay a duty invoice to the carrier will they ultimately send it to collections after a certain number of days/months/invoices sent, etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Contact DHL and try to work with them.
Don't just ignore it. It'll eventually go to collections although I question whether they'd be able to validate it as a legit debt.

NativeTxn

Reaction score

Contact DHL and try to work with them.
Don't just ignore it. It'll eventually go to collections although I question whether they'd be able to validate it as a legit debt.

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely won't ignore it - not worth risking it going to collections over $44 (even though I agree that it might be hard for them to claim it as a legit debt since the goods were returned).

I was mainly just curious as to whether I can hopefully get them to deal with requesting the refund, as I suspect they have done that before and would probably have a setup already in place.

I'll call them Monday to find out.

Thanks again.

NativeTxn

Reaction score

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely won't ignore it - not worth risking it going to collections over $44 (even though I agree that it might be hard for them to claim it as a legit debt since the goods were returned).

I was mainly just curious as to whether I can hopefully get them to deal with requesting the refund, as I suspect they have done that before and would probably have a setup already in place.

I'll call them Monday to find out.

Thanks again.

Just an update. I called DHL, told them that I returned the shoes, the date of the return, etc. and they said that they would remove the balance due from my account. They sent me an email to confirm that the charge had been removed.

Wasn't difficult at all...thankfully.

pdsf

Reaction score

Just an update. I called DHL, told them that I returned the shoes, the date of the return, etc. and they said that they would remove the balance due from my account. They sent me an email to confirm that the charge had been removed.

Wasn't difficult at all...thankfully.

Cool. My experience was the same for FedEx but they said it was a one-time thing....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads