Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

I thought any clothing over $200 in US is auto custom?

Assuming they inspect it

2. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

And what would "Auto Custom" be ?

3. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

I have a question. eBay offers Global Shipping Program that lets a buyer pay customs at checkout, doesn't it? Why does Canadian still have to pay customs on a made-in-USA or Canada product even though USA and Canada have an agreement on free trade? Doesn't this make sense?

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Man moving overseas suck. I tried to keep my stuffs to minimum, so basically most of the stuffs I carry across are my clothes/shoes.
    On one hand, I am appalled at the TSA horror stories of bags disappearing due to poor handling, and I am also annoyed at the possibility that I might have to pay 28% customs for my clothing because the value of the contents is above their $1500 limit (Around $5-6k). Hopefully I read the rules wrong and I won't be subject to customs bomb..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

You will almost certainly have to pay duties.

6. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

NAFTA isn't a blanket agreement that covers everything. It depends where something is made and what the item is, among other things. It's an arcane business.

7. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Does anyone know about aphrodite 1994 or six whiting street? Both are shipping from the UK to the US for items that are <$100 USD...I called the Six Whiting Street people and they said they'll mark the items lower. Looks like aphrodite uses FedEx and 6WS using DHL...any thoughts?

8. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member

I live in the US and bought a pair of shoes from Herring's (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk) in the UK. I received the shoes, but ended up returning them for a full refund of the purchase price (obviously, shipping from and to was on me). The return happened and was credited back to me on 7/8/2014.

Today (7/12/2014), I received an invoice from DHL with an invoice date of 7/7/2014 and a payment due date of 7/14/2014 showing a 10% duty ($38.13) on the shoes and a "Payment Deferment" of $6.50, for a total due to DHL of $44.63.

My question is, since I returned the shoes for a complete refund, do I still have to pay the $44.63?

I don't see why I would since it is essentially as if I never purchased them since I sent them back and got a refund. However, I presume that DHL fronted the duty (and I am guessing that the $6.50 is for some sort of handling or administrative charge).

I searched on the US Government Trade website but couldn't find an answer, so I defer to the experts here who may have run into the same/similar situation before.

Thanks in advance.

9. NativeTxn

Thanks. Next question: do I need to pay DHL and then file for a refund?

Or can I show DHL the refund invoice and it is up to them to seek the refund?

Also, if you do not pay a duty invoice to the carrier will they ultimately send it to collections after a certain number of days/months/invoices sent, etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Contact DHL and try to work with them.
    Don't just ignore it. It'll eventually go to collections although I question whether they'd be able to validate it as a legit debt.

11. NativeTxn

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely won't ignore it - not worth risking it going to collections over $44 (even though I agree that it might be hard for them to claim it as a legit debt since the goods were returned).

I was mainly just curious as to whether I can hopefully get them to deal with requesting the refund, as I suspect they have done that before and would probably have a setup already in place.

I'll call them Monday to find out.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

12. hamyunghoo

hamyunghoo Active Member

Has anyone had experiences with Nitty Gritty store for customs?

13. NativeTxn

Just an update. I called DHL, told them that I returned the shoes, the date of the return, etc. and they said that they would remove the balance due from my account. They sent me an email to confirm that the charge had been removed.

Wasn't difficult at all...thankfully.

14. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Cool. My experience was the same for FedEx but they said it was a one-time thing....