Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Thanks. So I was told today. The difference is that the same items, like outerwear for example, have been charged at different rates.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Take a look at chapter 62. There are a bunch of different rates depending upon what the jacket is made of.
    http://hts.usitc.gov/
    Plus I think a lot of times they just pull a code out of their ass or are just plain wrong.

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Oh Lord. That would take hours just to figure it out. Interesting though.

4. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Would like to pick your experienced brains. I have ordered about US$350 worth of merchandise from the UK. Seller ships UPS ("Express Saver") and FedEx. Which one would you go for? I am based in the US.

UPS site apparently states "Worldwide Saver" (I guess different from "Express Saver") won't incur custom charges but somehow I don't think that's accurate. The information on customs on their site is quite confusing.

To contribute to the "stories", two months ago I got a $36 bill from FedEx for a $350 package shipped from Italy. They had given me a "one-time" waiver of custom fees previously for an item that I had returned back to the seller in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.

5. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

I'm not in the US, but I've lived in a few different countries and found that custom charges are impossible to predict and are often applied arbitrarily. I've had duplicate items in different shipments and got charged a lot and then nothing at all for the same item.

If you've bought from a small independent, they may mark the value of the package down for you, it's worth asking. Get them to keep it below USD100.

I used to regularly get charged import duty for items that come via the postal system, but it's been over a year since I've had to pay anything, even though I've had numerous high-value parcels arrive.

Good luck.

6. Ritful

Ritful Active Member

In my experience with Norse Store they shipped FedEx to the US and it was a royal pain in the ass. In the area I live in I tend to favor UPS or FedEx in general though.

7. zoetrophic

zoetrophic New Member

Has anyone in the US ever ordered from Hypebeast Store? Wanted to pick up a pair of Hender Schemes (~$650) while they're running the 30% off promo but would rather just buy domestically if I'm going to get hit with $150+ in fees. Thanks everyone.

8. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Thanks guys! One thing though - FedEx has been able to give me a fairly straight forward answer regarding how much I'd be charged. The same can't be said for UPS - even their employees told me they had no idea. Their website offers some information but it's confusing and ambiguous.

Web research revealed disdain for both companies, and experiences can vary depending on locations.

9. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Got hit with a relatively small customs fee from Stuarts London if anyone's curious.

http://www.stuartslondon.com/

~$20 for a $320 jacket from Barbour.

10. kmert

kmert Active Member

Shipping from Ssense CA to US: what are the chances to pay custom fees?
    (I've searched this thread, nothing came up)

11. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Another prompt, customs-friendly delivery from Self Edge to Europe. Always so easy with them.

12. sholom

sholom Senior member

anyone have experience with spence clothing?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  13. accordion

accordion Senior member

14. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

I don't think you should attempt to predict customs charges based on the seller, unless the seller will agree to mark down the value of the package for you. I think it's been established from everyone's posts that the application of import duty is arbitrary.

15. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

"Can't Fight the G Son" Ha gonna try, $104.00 on a $630 item !!!!!

Upside still love the piece and still less then US pricing but none the less Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.