• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The percentage you get charged is based on what you buy.
Different items are charged at different rates. There is no flat percentage.

Thanks. So I was told today. The difference is that the same items, like outerwear for example, have been charged at different rates.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Take a look at chapter 62. There are a bunch of different rates depending upon what the jacket is made of.
http://hts.usitc.gov/
Plus I think a lot of times they just pull a code out of their ass or are just plain wrong.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at chapter 62. There are a bunch of different rates depending upon what the jacket is made of.
http://hts.usitc.gov/
Plus I think a lot of times they just pull a code out of their ass or are just plain wrong.

Oh Lord. That would take hours just to figure it out. Interesting though.

pdsf

Reaction score
Would like to pick your experienced brains. I have ordered about US$350 worth of merchandise from the UK. Seller ships UPS ("Express Saver") and FedEx. Which one would you go for? I am based in the US.

UPS site apparently states "Worldwide Saver" (I guess different from "Express Saver") won't incur custom charges but somehow I don't think that's accurate. The information on customs on their site is quite confusing.

To contribute to the "stories", two months ago I got a $36 bill from FedEx for a $350 package shipped from Italy. They had given me a "one-time" waiver of custom fees previously for an item that I had returned back to the seller in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.

1989thenumber

Reaction score
Would like to pick your experienced brains. I have ordered about US$350 worth of merchandise from the UK. Seller ships UPS ("Express Saver") and FedEx. Which one would you go for? I am based in the US.

UPS site apparently states "Worldwide Saver" (I guess different from "Express Saver") won't incur custom charges but somehow I don't think that's accurate. The information on customs on their site is quite confusing.

To contribute to the "stories", two months ago I got a $36 bill from FedEx for a $350 package shipped from Italy. They had given me a "one-time" waiver of custom fees previously for an item that I had returned back to the seller in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not in the US, but I've lived in a few different countries and found that custom charges are impossible to predict and are often applied arbitrarily. I've had duplicate items in different shipments and got charged a lot and then nothing at all for the same item.

If you've bought from a small independent, they may mark the value of the package down for you, it's worth asking. Get them to keep it below USD100.

I used to regularly get charged import duty for items that come via the postal system, but it's been over a year since I've had to pay anything, even though I've had numerous high-value parcels arrive.

Good luck.

Ritful

Reaction score

Many thanks in advance.

In my experience with Norse Store they shipped FedEx to the US and it was a royal pain **********. In the area I live in I tend to favor UPS or FedEx in general though.

zoetrophic

Reaction score
Has anyone in the US ever ordered from Hypebeast Store? Wanted to pick up a pair of Hender Schemes (~$650) while they're running the 30% off promo but would rather just buy domestically if I'm going to get hit with $150+ in fees. Thanks everyone.

pdsf

Reaction score

I'm not in the US, but I've lived in a few different countries and found that custom charges are impossible to predict and are often applied arbitrarily. I've had duplicate items in different shipments and got charged a lot and then nothing at all for the same item.

If you've bought from a small independent, they may mark the value of the package down for you, it's worth asking. Get them to keep it below USD100.

I used to regularly get charged import duty for items that come via the postal system, but it's been over a year since I've had to pay anything, even though I've had numerous high-value parcels arrive.

Good luck.

In my experience with Norse Store they shipped FedEx to the US and it was a royal pain **********. In the area I live in I tend to favor UPS or FedEx in general though.

Thanks guys! One thing though - FedEx has been able to give me a fairly straight forward answer regarding how much I'd be charged. The same can't be said for UPS - even their employees told me they had no idea. Their website offers some information but it's confusing and ambiguous.

Web research revealed disdain for both companies, and experiences can vary depending on locations.

kmert

Reaction score
Shipping from Ssense CA to US: what are the chances to pay custom fees?
(I've searched this thread, nothing came up)

jonnyt

Reaction score
Another prompt, customs-friendly delivery from Self Edge to Europe. Always so easy with them.

sholom

Reaction score
anyone have experience with spence clothing?

Last edited:

1989thenumber

Reaction score
I don't think you should attempt to predict customs charges based on the seller, unless the seller will agree to mark down the value of the package for you. I think it's been established from everyone's posts that the application of import duty is arbitrary.

Mon Dieu

Reaction score
"Can't Fight the G Son" Ha gonna try, $104.00 on a $630 item !!!!!

Upside still love the piece and still less then US pricing but none the less Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics