• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sign Grassmere from the original run.
0AECBE7A-4C18-4C63-87C3-675D4CBA4197.jpeg

thelonius

Reaction score
How old are they, by curiosity?
And again, do Trickers make any veldtshcoen construction does anyone know?
Again, obviously by curiosity.....

Fenners81

Reaction score
I like my cafe bourtons but for some reason the natural welt and heel stack annoys me slightly. I'm giving serious consideration to applying dark brown shoe cream to tone down the contrast a little. I've made these kind of rash decisions before and regretted it so I'd appreciate some opinions beforehand.

I guess my other option is to wait until a resole is required and have a dark brown welt added...

Attachments

• 20240320_072922.jpg
    20240320_072922.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

princealbert

Reaction score
I like my cafe bourtons but for some reason the natural welt and heel stack annoys me slightly. I'm giving serious consideration to applying dark brown shoe cream to tone down the contrast a little. I've made these kind of rash decisions before and regretted it so I'd appreciate some opinions beforehand.

I guess my other option is to wait until a resole is required and have a dark brown welt added...
It’s strange how opinions/ tastes differ because personally I really like the contrast between the dark Cafe and the natural welt. As you probably know the welt will definitely darken the more you wear them.
Personally I can’t see the point in incurring the cost of a re-welt but there is probably no harm in applying darker shoe cream if they really offend you.

Fenners81

Reaction score
It’s strange how opinions/ tastes differ because personally I really like the contrast between the dark Cafe and the natural welt. As you probably know the welt will definitely darken the more you wear them.
Personally I can’t see the point in incurring the cost of a re-welt but there is probably no harm in applying darker shoe cream if they really offend you.
Thanks, if I pluck up the courage I may give it a go tonight. I don't mind some contrast but this is a bit stark for my taste. I really liked it when I bought them a year or so ago but I think it's the natural welt that stops me wearing them.

Sole Boy

Reaction score
I remember someone else on this forum having the welts on a pair of Crafty Tankers darkened by Shoe Healer. It may be worth getting in touch with them.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I remember someone else on this forum having the welts on a pair of Crafty Tankers darkened by Shoe Healer. It may be worth getting in touch with them.
I'm about to move to that neck of the woods so may well pop in. I have a feeling it may look patchy if I do a d.i.y. job

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, if I pluck up the courage I may give it a go tonight. I don't mind some contrast but this is a bit stark for my taste. I really liked it when I bought them a year or so ago but I think it's the natural welt that stops me wearing them.
I also much prefer the natural welt. But your preference is most important for your shoes (even if it’s wrong).

TBH, if you use dark brown paste wax I don’t think it will overly darken them. More like prematurely age them. You’ll have to brush the heck out of the welt to make sure it’s even and get out any clumps in welt crevices.

Fenners81

Reaction score
I also much prefer the natural welt. But your preference is most important for your shoes (even if it’s wrong).

TBH, if you use dark brown paste wax I don’t think it will overly darken them. More like prematurely age them. You’ll have to brush the heck out of the welt to make sure it’s even and get out any clumps in welt crevices.
I was actually thinking that wax might be a safer option as it contains less pigment. I want the welt to stay light, just not that light.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was actually thinking that wax might be a safer option as it contains less pigment. I want the welt to stay light, just not that light.
Maybe even try some tan/cognac wax first. That’s not going to darken them too much. You just want the look of well aged natural welt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads