• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the issue of Boughton fit, I have never been able to avoid some heel slippage with them - particularly with my right foot. Also, to get them tight, i have to pull the laces up almost to the point where the facings meet. When I bought my first pair, I tried a size down but it was too small. My latest pair of Kudu Boughtons seem narrower than my other pairs and still slip. Perhaps, after a few years, I just have to realise that the Boughton last isn't one for my feet. Its a shame because the Kudus are beautiful, as are my red, blue and navy ones. I wear insoles in all of them.

My 10’s are snug and 10 1/2 are too spacious where I had to have no gap between eyelets.

I just wear 10’s with thin socks but feel they are more of a thick sock shoe.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Since I wrote this, the other day, I have thought more about my Boughtons fit. The slippage on the right heel is annoying but I have decided to hang on to my four pairs. They are beautiful shoes - especially the Sign Kudus - but I love the bright red and bright green ones too. This is my rationale. I am 72, long retired and have lots of shoes. I no longer need to wear formal, dress shoes and only dress casually. For me, my Boughtons are going to be a case of 'style over fit'. Heresy, perhaps, but I really love them!
I’ve no need for formal either. If you can make them work the kudu are amazing.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Trickers are exactly one year old this month. I think they have aged fantastically.

I have conditioned them regularly over the last year using a combination of Saphir's Renovator and Saphir's Wax polish.

Till date i had not used any other product not them except those 2.

I finally decided to give them a Mid-Summer Conditioning. I last conditioned them in February and have hardly worn them since. They have been sitting in shoe covers and a shoe box for the last 2 months. I felt the need to condition them again Venetian Leather Balm (for the first time) coz of the following reasons:

1. I don't intend them to wear them for another 3-4 months. Its impossible to wear boots because of the hot weather. So i though this conditioning will get them through till Sept/Oct while they are stored away. I can condition them before wearing them at that time.
2. I live in India. the weather right now is 41 C / 105 F. The humidity is 20 %. Perfect conditions for leather to get dry.
3. Only applied Venetian Leather Balm after using a mild leather cleaner. Let it rest for 2 hours and give it a good brushing. For a year i have only used Saphir. So a different conditioner may help cover up any deficiencies that Saphir has.

IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg

TH3515

Reaction score
Since I wrote this, the other day, I have thought more about my Boughtons fit. The slippage on the right heel is annoying but I have decided to hang on to my four pairs. They are beautiful shoes - especially the Sign Kudus - but I love the bright red and bright green ones too. This is my rationale. I am 72, long retired and have lots of shoes. I no longer need to wear formal, dress shoes and only dress casually. For me, my Boughtons are going to be a case of 'style over fit'. Heresy, perhaps, but I really love them!
You can slip a piece of thick leather of appropriate colour in between the laces and the gusset tongue. If it's wide enough to just fit in the gusset folds, it will stay in place and not slip around, and it'll take up a noticeable amount of excess width. This helped a lot in getting my Ilkleys (same as Bourtons) to fit without heel slip.

IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can slip a piece of thick leather of appropriate colour in between the laces and the gusset tongue. If it's wide enough to just fit in the gusset folds, it will stay in place and not slip around, and it'll take up a noticeable amount of excess width. This helped a lot in getting my Ilkleys (same as Bourtons) to fit without heel slip.

View attachment 1385640 View attachment 1385641 View attachment 1385642
That is a great idea, TH, thank you very much. I have experimented, in the past with tongue pads, on other shoes. I never had much success with them. I was worried that the bellows tongue of the Boughtons might make it impossible to make any changes to them. Your idea makes complete sense and I will certain use it. Thanks again. M.

princealbert

Reaction score
After seeing Crafty's black waxy Bourtons I couldn't resist picking up a pair from TK Maxx at the bargain price of £139. I'm going to see how I get on with the commando soles, not my favourite so I may swap them out for a different sole.

Attachments

• Black waxy Bourton 2.jpg
    Black waxy Bourton 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Black waxy Bourton 1.jpg
    Black waxy Bourton 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 66

RKILLY67

Reaction score
These Trickers are exactly one year old this month. I think they have aged fantastically.

I have conditioned them regularly over the last year using a combination of Saphir's Renovator and Saphir's Wax polish.

Till date i had not used any other product not them except those 2.

I finally decided to give them a Mid-Summer Conditioning. I last conditioned them in February and have hardly worn them since. They have been sitting in shoe covers and a shoe box for the last 2 months. I felt the need to condition them again Venetian Leather Balm (for the first time) coz of the following reasons:

1. I don't intend them to wear them for another 3-4 months. Its impossible to wear boots because of the hot weather. So i though this conditioning will get them through till Sept/Oct while they are stored away. I can condition them before wearing them at that time.
2. I live in India. the weather right now is 41 C / 105 F. The humidity is 20 %. Perfect conditions for leather to get dry.
3. Only applied Venetian Leather Balm after using a mild leather cleaner. Let it rest for 2 hours and give it a good brushing. For a year i have only used Saphir. So a different conditioner may help cover up any deficiencies that Saphir has.

View attachment 1385588 View attachment 1385589 View attachment 1385590 View attachment 1385591 View attachment 1385592
They are like new, no creasing!

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
After seeing Crafty's black waxy Bourtons I couldn't resist picking up a pair from TK Maxx at the bargain price of £139. I'm going to see how I get on with the commando soles, not my favourite so I may swap them out for a different sole.
I love these. Unfortunately TK Maxx don’t ship here.:confused:

Kiwijohn

Reaction score
^ Perhaps if you find a UK resident to order and forward it for you. I'd gladly do it if a similar situation arose with a German company. But then who wants German shoes...
Ive got a few cousins around the UK, but I’d feel a bit awkward asking. No worry, bound to be an Outlet sale eventually when things settle.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Interested in this handsome gray Stow, as I’ve been after a gray boot. It’s listed by Trickers as a “shrunken” grain calfskin. Is this just embossed calf with marketing hoopla or a different leather preparation? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1ACEA789-43BB-4818-AF17-A0AA3376B451.jpeg
    1ACEA789-43BB-4818-AF17-A0AA3376B451.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 76

TH3515

Reaction score
^ No personal experience with this specific leather, but the "shrunken“ tannage is not just an embossed leather. The grain is enhanced by chemicals that shrink the hides during the tannage. It can create a very dense, rugged leather. I have a pair of White's Boots in shrunken steer shoulder and it's incredibly tough stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads