• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

RKILLY67

Reaction score
I have been looking for a brown pair of Derby shoe with a Commando sole for sometime and recently purchased Grenson’s Victor in my regular size (UK 9.5).
Here’s the shoe if you’re not familiar with them:
https://www.grenson.com/uk/victor-mens-derby-brown-russia-grain-leather-commando-sole.html
A great looking shoe although the pair I received did have some minor production flaws which was disappointing considering they're positioned at the top end of Grenson’s shoe line. However I found that the shoes suffered from heel slip which appears to be more of a design issue that a sizing issue. I returned the shoes and later tried a pair in size 9 in-store but they were to small. Decided the shoes were not going to work for me.

I’m looking for something similar; that is: a Brown Derby Country Shoe with Commando Sole, calf or grain leather, preferably with a Veldtschoen welt but will settle for Good Year if the shoe is right.

Interested to hear recommendations? Shoes can be discontinued and not necessarily Trickers.
Mighten be of much use but only two I can think of at the min, both are on sale though and the cheaney is burgundy- but it is the new brown!

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have been looking for a brown pair of Derby shoe with a Commando sole for sometime and recently purchased Grenson’s Victor in my regular size (UK 9.5).
Here’s the shoe if you’re not familiar with them:
https://www.grenson.com/uk/victor-mens-derby-brown-russia-grain-leather-commando-sole.html
A great looking shoe although the pair I received did have some minor production flaws which was disappointing considering they're positioned at the top end of Grenson’s shoe line. However I found that the shoes suffered from heel slip which appears to be more of a design issue that a sizing issue. I returned the shoes and later tried a pair in size 9 in-store but they were to small. Decided the shoes were not going to work for me.

I’m looking for something similar; that is: a Brown Derby Country Shoe with Commando Sole, calf or grain leather, preferably with a Veldtschoen welt but will settle for Good Year if the shoe is right.

Interested to hear recommendations? Shoes can be discontinued and not necessarily Trickers.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Alfred Sargent Coldstream is probably closest to what I'm looking for. Tredders don't have my size in stock. What is the difference between the Alfred Sargent Coldstream and the Alfred Sargent Caldbeck?

RKILLY67

Reaction score
Thanks. Alfred Sargent Coldstream is probably closest to what I'm looking for. Tredders don't have my size in stock. What is the difference between the Alfred Sargent Coldstream and the Alfred Sargent Caldbeck?
The calbeck is the same shoe but with a leather sole. There is a size 10 in stock with the coldstream, I found the 88 last fits me 1/2 size small in the kelso boot but this may have more to do with my high instep and veld tounge on the boot and mightened be the case for the shoe as country lasts usually fit a bit bigger to allow thick socks

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks princealbert. I looked at the Matlock sometime ago at the Trickers store, as far as I remember I disliked the colour (there was a lot of red in the pair that I viewed). It's a 6 fitting which works really well in a 9.5 for me, whereas the 5 fitting Trickers I have to go up to a size 10.

princealbert

Reaction score
Thanks princealbert. I looked at the Matlock sometime ago at the Trickers store, as far as I remember I disliked the colour (there was a lot of red in the pair that I viewed). It's a 6 fitting which works really well in a 9.5 for me, whereas the 5 fitting Trickers I have to go up to a size 10.

No worries - hope you find something suitable. I find that when buying shoes it’s best to get the details right otherwise I’m forever disappointed with them.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
I’m sure it will sort itself out pretty quickly. Enjoy
I definitely spoke too soon...just today I notice no discomfort at all. : )

.....still got the boot bug though.....no hurry as they're really for the fall.... but keeping my eye on the lookout for a pair of 8 1/2 UK Burford Espresso/Dainite to pop up on sale somewhere.

...in the meantime just saw these NPS Gladstones in Walnut with 20% off and almost pulled the trigger, but no 1/2 sizes. : (
NPS Gladstone Walnut 5.png
NPS Gladstone Walnut 4.png
but the Tricker's just have that something extra IMHO and worth waiting for . : )
Burford Espresso.png
Burford 3.png

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely spoke too soon...just today I notice no discomfort at all. : )

.....still got the boot bug though.....no hurry as they're really for the fall.... but keeping my eye on the lookout for a pair of 8 1/2 UK Burford Espresso/Dainite to pop up on sale somewhere.

...in the meantime just saw these NPS Gladstones in Walnut with 20% off and almost pulled the trigger, but no 1/2 sizes. : (
View attachment 1369313
View attachment 1369307
but the Tricker's just have that something extra IMHO and worth waiting for . : )
View attachment 1369314
View attachment 1369303

Hold out for the Trickers would be my advice. The NPS are ok, but not in Trickers league. You will still want the Burfords, it won’t scratch the itch!

I’m actually really surprised Trickers aren’t having a sale this weekend. They usually do on significant weekends.

Glad your new ones are breaking in well

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good choice, the Alfred Sargent veldtschoen are very nice.

I definitely wouldn’t rule out the Cheaney Cairngorm, very nice veldtschoen shoe.

@Crafty Cumbrian suggestion of the Hoggs of Fife model is a good suggestion also.

There is also the Hoggs of Fife Dornoch which is made by Cheaney I believe.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only find the Caldbeck on Tredders and currently they don't have my size. Would prefer Alfred Sargent over Cheaney - although there's probably not that much in it.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hold out for the Trickers would be my advice. The NPS are ok, but not in Trickers league. You will still want the Burfords, it won’t scratch the itch!

I’m actually really surprised Trickers aren’t having a sale this weekend. They usually do on significant weekends.

Glad your new ones are breaking in well
Very odd, usually Easter is key sales time anyway. I’ve been very good and resisted in anticipation..

tantric shopping! ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics