• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

fljarg

Reaction score
Guys, I've been eying the Beaufort and admire it for its practicality, but I worry that it can appear frumpy. I'm searching for something that is as practical yet as a touch more panache or at least doesn't look like I need to be wearing relaxed-fit cords and a tweed hat, with spaniels nipping at my wellies.
What's the consensus on the Sapper? Is it as practical as the Beaufort? Also, is there anything with the same level of practicality yet has more of a vintage US Army paratrooper style look to it, meaning with slanted pockets. Some of the motorcycle jackets have them. Non Barbour suggestions are welcome, provided they're good quality.
Thanks.

Have you try the Trooper?

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know tonight. I'll toss a sport jacket on and try it over that. It fits somewhat slim, but then again thats all how you buy it for sizing. Medium fits me perfect and Im 5'8 160-165 with broad shoulders. Im kind of bumbed it doesnt have half the shine/color it does on the Jcrew website. Might have to look into getting it to look like that, maybe more wax?

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What sales associate? If it was from the Newbury St. store, they are all pretty much idiots. It's a non-made in England jacket as I understand. They could crank out as many of these a day as they wanted.

But they arent. Thus the high price point. Not made in the UK but its EXTREMELY well constructed and high quality. I havent seen a Tokito yet that isnt light years beyond normal Barbour. Ive been rocking a Tokito Cycling Jacket for 2 years now and besides some dirt theres no sign of wear or stress. Compared to my made in UK Bedale which after one winter had torn pockets on both sides and frayed cuffs.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll let you know tonight. I'll toss a sport jacket on and try it over that. It fits somewhat slim, but then again thats all how you buy it for sizing. Medium fits me perfect and Im 5'8 160-165 with broad shoulders. Im kind of bumbed it doesnt have half the shine/color it does on the Jcrew website. Might have to look into getting it to look like that, maybe more wax?

It's my experience with wax jackets that the more you wear it, the shinier / sheenier it will get.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. This is my first wax and barbour jacket. Ive wanted a Mac for a very long time and 400 bucks is half the price of the original MAC on Jcrew so it seemed like it was finally time to get one.

freddych

Reaction score
I was looking for the Barbour x To Ki To jacket featured in Bond online. Everywhere was sold out. I set an page monitor alert for the J Crew page, and it changed from "Sold Out" to call the personal shopping line. They were able to track down a Medium for me (I'm a 38S in suit size) that fit perfectly. I could probably have squeezed into the S with a thin sweater, but I need the extra room if I wear this for shooting.

The Liquor Store in TriBeCa has 2-3 Smalls, 2-3 Mediums, and 1 XL as of around 12PM today. I did not see any L's.

Alexidb

Reaction score

But they arent. Thus the high price point. Not made in the UK but its EXTREMELY well constructed and high quality. I havent seen a Tokito yet that isnt light years beyond normal Barbour. Ive been rocking a Tokito Cycling Jacket for 2 years now and besides some dirt theres no sign of wear or stress. Compared to my made in UK Bedale which after one winter had torn pockets on both sides and frayed cuffs.

My Bedale's almost 30 years old and is holding up fine, I tore a pocket last year... My Border is 5 years old and has no wear except where I scuffed the front with a saw blade. Sounds like you just had crap luck...

I've seen plenty of Tokito, nice but not light years ahead of anything

wwjbd24

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I messed up here.. but I ordered a Small Trooper jacket because the measurements on countryattire seemed to suggest it (I have a 100cm chest, their chart said 112cm for the jacket), do you guys think it's fine? apparently 100cm = ~39, whereas other sites say a small is 34 - 36. Help please? I want to exchange it before it ships so I dont have to send it back...that'd be a nightmare!
Thanks!

edit: they also mention "chest tolerance": Chest Tolerance: 8" (20cm) - Actual chest measurement is 8" greater than stated size.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm not sure if I messed up here.. but I ordered a Small Trooper jacket because the measurements on countryattire seemed to suggest it (I have a 100cm chest, their chart said 112cm for the jacket), do you guys think it's fine? apparently 100cm = ~39, whereas other sites say a small is 34 - 36. Help please? I want to exchange it before it ships so I dont have to send it back...that'd be a nightmare! Thanks! edit: they also mention "chest tolerance": Chest Tolerance: 8" (20cm) - Actual chest measurement is 8" greater than stated size.
8" is way more tolerance than you want. Why not measure a jacket you have to get some idea of how tight 12cm tolerance will be?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just got the Tokito Spey jacket.

I'm pleased with it but it has one rather puzzling detail.
It came with a little patch of lamb shearling or something which snaps on to the front.
WTF is it supposed to be for?

herrmj

Reaction score
clean your glasses?
It came with a little patch of lamb shearling or something which snaps on to the front.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Figured it out. It's for fly fishing lure storage.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on the Barbour x Tokihito Yoshida Wool Fishing Jacket today:

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands...kihito-yoshida-wool-fishing-jacket-42008.html

I tried a Large. I'm a Medium at Banana Republic and J. Crew, so generally a Large in UK sizing. Checked out the chest measurments before hand as my 43" chest is usually the issue if there is one. I'm also a 33" waist for the record. Anyway, the coat itself is nice. The wool tweed herringbone is pretty soft for wool, so not too "scratchy". The lining is the traditional Barbour plaid lining in a synthetic material. At first I didn't like it, but it's nice and not too synthetic while a more natural fabric can sometimes "stick" to your clothes and if it's too long slide out at the cuff. The Large was a bit boxy, but with the pit-to-pit measurements I couldn't really do a Medium. It wasn't too boxy though and I didn't have a chunkier sweater under it yet. I like the Zipper pull and the zipper zipped really smoothly. It also had a second zipper which is practically a must IMO for when you're sitting or driving. The zipper had two cover plackets too, one layering over the other and the you snap it shut. They're lined with cordoroy too which was a nice touch. Plenty of pockets which was nice, but the main pockets are really nice. You should slide your hands in on the side and if you open the flap you can fit a lot in them. Perfect for birding and your birding guide, though I suspect no one else here would take that into consideration. The two larger pockets have small holes at the bottom for breathability and all the pockets are lined with the same liner as the inside of the coat. The hood has a few snaps for "sizing" and the snap has a beacon engraved on it. Also, you can adjust the coat at the very bottom from the inside to bring it in.

As for the cons. I'll go in terms of least importance.

-The little web/mesh pocket's "leather" trim feels like fake leather.
-The fly fishing piece sort of rotates a lot. Of course you can just take it off and unless you'd use it for fly fishing I'd just take it off anyway.
-The buttons, not the snaps, are a bit plain and cheap for the coat. Definitely not a deal breaker, but I'm a total button snob and I hate it when companies can't spend a little bit extra on a damn button.
-The cuff tighteners/adjusters are velcro. Functionality is one thing, but they should be buttons, adjustable straps like on the Tokhito Woolrich coat or snaps.
-The armpits are REALLY tight. I'm got decent sized shoulders and I ran into this issue with the Engineered Garments parka this past SS. I'll never understand it really. I get you don't want them sagging, but this was with just a woven shirt. I can't imagine wearing one of my chunky sweaters in the middle of winter. Just really uncomfortable and a total dealbreaker for me. Way too high with the armpit holes.

Overall it's a nice coat and if the armpit holes weren't so tight I'd look at picking it up at a good sale price. Sadly I won't be though with those armpit holes. If it was something a tailor could reasonably fix then I'd consider it. I just hope the Tokhito Woolrich coat I have on the way isn't so tight in the armpit area. Other than that and to a lesser extent the velcro at the cuff everything else was good.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that the SS Spey? All black? Looks like it. I had it and got a great deal on it, but returned it. It wasn't bad and actually fit me IIRC, but I didn't like that elastic or tight inside of the sleeve near the cuff. I'm sure it's to keep out wind/water, but rather annoying putting it on/taking it off. Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads