1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for some sizing advice and am desperate here. I am about 5'10.5" and about 135-140 lbs, and am looking to purchase a Bedale. I want to order it online. The problem is, I live in Japan and the only type of Bedale's I can find in store here are the SL (i.e. slim fit) versions, and I am planning on ordering the olive, non-SL version online. I should say that the SL 36 fit me very well, sleeve length, jacket length, and everything else. Does anyone know if the only difference between the regular and SL is the chest/waist? Or is it also jacket length/sleeve length?

Basically I am torn between a 34 and 36. Since there is a significant import tax when ordering online from Japan, I would like to get it right the first time. Does anyone with a similar build have a bedale that could give me advice? I would appreciate any input or advice.

EDIT: As for why I need to order it online and not buy it in person in Japan, well, they only have the sage color here in Japan, and I want olive (which doesn't seem to be available in slim fit). In addition, the jacket is much cheaper to order online and import than it is to buy in person in Japan (it runs almost $600 here).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Maybe you should email Barbour regarding the question of the SL models compared to their regular sizes.
    Have you ever measured your chest?

3. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

Good idea, I just sent them a mail. I have had my chest measured but sadly cannot remember what it was. In other things I usually wear a 36, and it seems that people usually drop down a size for Barbour jackets. I have a kind of boyish frame, so I feel confident that the 34 wouldn't be too small in terms of chest and waist, I'm just worried about sleeve length, etc. Fron the Country Attire website, the 34 and 36 seem to be the same length, on the sleeve length is different.

4. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Hey folks! Any idea where I can get an original International in size 38? I just checked Stollerys in Toronto and they're charging ~600 bucks. Even with the current 30% promotion, that's a bit of a rip off no?

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I have short arms in proportion, sized down one and the sleeves are very slightly too long.
    So if you have regular arms, I'd say sizeing down would either mean the sleeves would fit you perfectly or they would be slightly too short.

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Stollerys are out to lunch on pricing. They are also a bunch of pricks who have zero people skills. www.orvis.com and www.northriveroutfitter.com has the international and are able to ship to Canada.

7. relax99

relax99 Well-Known Member

I recently bought an international and I cant decide if it fits in my wardrobe or not. Every person I've worn it around has made a comment on the overly gold buttons. To sell or keep that is the question

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Keep it man. Who cares what people say about the "gold (brass) buttons" . This jacket will outlive whatever they are sporting and still be in style 10 years from now.

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I like the buttons, but if that's all that bugs you rough them up with emery paper and then carefully brush them with black nail polish.

10. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Well, that was a fun experience. I decided I didn't want to wait for international delivery and wanted instant gratification so I (foolishly) returned to Stollery's.

I walk in and am immediately beset by this stern looking middle aged Asian lady wearing caked on makeup.

I ask her for a Barbour international jacket in size 38. Without even blinking, she replies that they're sold out. I tell her that I saw two on the racks just yesterday.

She shrugs and says that she doesn't keep track of all the inventory in her department. I point to the massive storeroom at the back, filled with racks of Barbour jackets and ask if she can check in there quickly. She literally walks in, performs a perfunctory gaze and walks back out shaking her head. I walk over myself to the main racks and just find a size 38 sitting on the racks.

My next question... Is there a liner I can get for this too? She shakes her head and says that the coat doesn't support a liner. I point out the studs in the jacket meant for the liner and get another passing salesperson to confirm it takes a liner.

The dragonlady doesn't miss a beat. Oh but it would look silly with a liner anyways. You don't want it to look bulky right? I decide to concede on the liner and just want to pay for the jacket.

Naturally she tries to up sell me on every other type of Barbour jacket even more outrageously priced than the International.

Try the Sapper jacket! Its the one worn by James Bond in Sky fall! I don't bother to correct her.

All these jackets are proudly made in the USA nowadays, she claims... I point out the Made in Tunisia tag on my International. She says that's just bogus and some tax loophole by Barbour.

I kid you not... The entire encounter was a very awkward 20 minutes in which she must've spouted 30 different lies about Barbour.

God I hate my weakness and wished I had the patience to order online.

11. Guus

Guus Senior member

Are you sure this is a place of business, where their goal is to make a profit? Lol.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This story is shocking and appalling. The reason I only really do e-shopping nowadays.

13. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Anyone hearing of post XMAS sales that capture Barbour?

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Please email that shop owner/manager a link to your post. That's just plain ridiculous.

I love the "It won't accept a liner/I mean it won't look good" bit. I'd have such a hard time giving them any of my money. However, I know about the instant gratification part.

It reminds me of inquiring about a fog light bulb at the dealer for my Infiniti. The (paid by commission) service advisor quoted me $120 for the bulb...not parts & labor but just the bulb. I asked her to repeat the figure and she responded, "it's a xenon bulb, thats why its so expensive."

"The fog light is actually a regular halogen bulb, " I corrected. "The headlights are xenon."

Like your SA, she didn't miss a beat, "Well sir, this is a luxury vehicle."

WTF does that have to do w/her blowing smoke/lying about the part?

I decided against the bulb replacement.

15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

They really don't want your money do they? There are reasons why I won't step into Stollery's and lousy staff and pricing is it. Definitely complain to management regarding your sales associate's treatment of you in a well written letter.

I've decided I'm holding off my Barbour purchase (most likely a Baufort) until I'm in NYC at the end of April and just go to an Orvis store in midtown Manhattan.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  16. dmoore228

dmoore228 New Member

I am looking to get either a 46 or 48 beaufort in olive. I have tried on both sizes and am still contemplating because I am losing weight, maybe 30 lbs or so to get to ideal weight. Right now, the 48 and sleeves are a good length and I can wear a layer or two comfortable under it right now. Not sure if that will be the 46 eventually, but the sleeves were short on me. I am 6'5" 270.

Since this is a big investment, should I go with a 46 and tailor the sleeves and bottom or go with the 48?

17. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

If it were me I'd tailor the sleeves on a 46. 30 lbs is not insignificant. I would imagine this is probably an all too familiar story for someone 6'5", but I'm sure many companies, Barbour included, aren't keeping men of your height and larger in mind when making their jackets. I would try to find the best deal you can online and then just shell out the $80 or whatever for lengthening. As others have pointed out, since you may keep it for a very long time, the actually cost per wear is very low in the long run.

18. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

So as an adjunct to my previous post, I just measured my chest, and to my surprise it was 33". Well, that at least rules out the 36 Bedale. But now I'm actually considering a 32 instead of the 34. I'm wondering if the jacket and sleeve length would just be entirely too short for some a bit over 5'10".

19. drechie

drechie Senior member

beaufort and bedale are 50% off at saks online! good luck!

20. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member