Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

Guys, I've been eying the Beaufort and admire it for its practicality, but I worry that it can appear frumpy. I'm searching for something that is as practical yet as a touch more panache or at least doesn't look like I need to be wearing relaxed-fit cords and a tweed hat, with spaniels nipping at my wellies.

What's the consensus on the Sapper? Is it as practical as the Beaufort? Also, is there anything with the same level of practicality yet has more of a vintage US Army paratrooper style look to it, meaning with slanted pockets. Some of the motorcycle jackets have them. Non Barbour suggestions are welcome, provided they're good quality.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Just bought the Merton Mac. Prob wont look as swank on me as it does the guy on jcrew...but I am happy regardless.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Was just coming here to ask about the Beacon - me and everyone else who's seen the movie. Look for Barbour to go real GQ real quick in the states.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. OmniscientCause

Talked to the sale associate today...they can crank about 10 of those bond jackets out on average a day. Thats not really alot when you think about it so I guess thats why the cost is around 700 bucks.

5. Alexidb

Alexidb Member

What sales associate? If it was from the Newbury St. store, they are all pretty much idiots. It's a non-made in England jacket as I understand. They could crank out as many of these a day as they wanted.

6. OmniscientCause

If it is non made in england why would I pay 700 for it?

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Because Bond wears it. Obviously. :)

8. OmniscientCause

If you want to be technical I think they said it was his fathers...but all the same Bond wears it you are correct.

It looks dumb with the hood but boss like the way craig wears it.

9. norent

norent New Member

Anybody that has a quilted one?
    Im thinking of getting the Tatton jacket but not really sure if I should go for a classic Bedale instead.
    Are quilted jackets even relevant, I just need something that I can pull off with anything.

10. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Made in Bulgaria.

I own it and believe it's the hood which helps set it apart. Personally, as I sat watching Skyfall last night, I couldn't stop but think that it would have been so much cooler if he hadn't bastardized it and kept the hood attached. Each to their own eh.

I wouldn't pay $800 for it, but getting from the UK with -VAT as I did, then definitely.

11. Guus

Guus Senior member

It won't looks frumpy if you get the right size. Sapper I believe is as long and roomy. If it wasn't for the draw string at the middle, the Sapper would look frumpy as its not made in number measurements like the Bedale, Beaufort, etc.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Just get a Tokito - they are a lot slimmer fit. There are plenty of alternatives in waxed canvas jackets or vintage style military jackets (e.g. Alpha Industries)

13. Coopa

Coopa Senior member

Can anyone comment on the warmth of the Barbour/to ki to mountain parka? Specifically, i'm wondering if it will be warm enough (without heavy layering) for winter in the midwest, i.e. temp ranges 10-30 degree F.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

Those are awesome, but the price tag is too hefty. The Beaufort's already at the extreme edge of doable.

Pondering the Filson weekender...

15. fljarg

fljarg Member

How is the sizing and fitting of the Merton? In your opinion would it fit to wear it with a suit?. Thx