• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

figured I'd post here but I picked up a Olive Bedale at the Outlet sale in NH last weekend in a size 36 and I'm not really loving it, tags are still on it, would anyone be interested? I'm going to throw it up in the FS section later today with pictures.

Can you post your measurements? Barbour sizing is highly confusing to me so I can't tell if it'd fit me or not. How does it fit on you? Is it tight? Loose enough to wear over a suit?

calmbomb

Reaction score

Any reason why you're not satisfied with it, or is it just not your thing?

I don't really like the fabric cuff inside the sleeve and I wish it was a bit longer, and I would prefer a small collar. Nothing wrong with the coat but I can't seem to vibe with the style

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really like the fabric cuff inside the sleeve and I wish it was a bit longer, and I would prefer a small collar. Nothing wrong with the coat but I can't seem to vibe with the style

Those are exactly the reasons I prefer the Beaufort. Longer, covers a SC and no cuffs inside the sleeves.

bandwitch

Reaction score

Thanks! Specifically, I'm looking at the Sporting Jacket (one from skyfall movie). Would a small still be your recommendation? I'm trying to be able to layer maybe a shirt and sweater underneath, while still allowing for it to look fairly well fitting when not wearing a sweater as well. I really appreciate your quick response!
I have the beacon heritage to ki to sports jacket in medium and I would say go for a medium. The only thing is the sleeves might be a bit long on you. I am 6' 145lbs and I'm usually a small, or 36-38R in suits, and I sized up to medium. I can wear it with just a shirt, or with a thicker sweater and it still looks great. It's pretty slim but has a really nice length and silhouette: my favorite purchase of the year.

Last edited:

calmbomb

Reaction score

Can you post your measurements? Barbour sizing is highly confusing to me so I can't tell if it'd fit me or not. How does it fit on you? Is it tight? Loose enough to wear over a suit?

I'll get measurements and pictures tonight. I'm a very standard 40s suit coat size and I don't usually need much tailoring. This fits me well and would easily go over a suit for me. I did get it so it's a bit more fitted. A 38 on me would have allowed more layering/winter layers but I thought the body was too boxy and loose.

aloepathic

Reaction score
Anyone have an Ashby and can comment on how slim it fits? I had a Bedale for about 8 years that was stolen two nights ago so looking to replace it, but if there's something acceptably trimmer would definitely be interested.

Also, anyone able to comment on how likely I would be to find a replacement Medium waxed cotton olive jacket at the Barbour outlet in the Kittery and/or Milford outlets (I read 20ish pages back that Kittery was bigger but how does that translate)?

RicPac

Reaction score
What is the difference between the pile and quilted liner? Which is better?

RicPac

Reaction score

Someone compared it earlier in the thread. Read back. Was not more than a month ago. I asked about them.

What's funny is that I went back to the exact page with one click. Which did you end up buying? I was leaning towards the quilted but when I called up my local Barbour store, they said the pile was warmer but also I don't know if I would like the look of the pile or te feel of it

atlguy

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on a UK proxy? The barbour jacket I'm looking to buy doesn't appear to be available in the U.S. I found the jacket on a UK website, but the vendor doesn't accommodate U.S. purchases/shipping.

Any help would be appreciated.

nolifeking

Reaction score
I'm looking to move on a barbour x tokito hidcote but I'm unsure of sizing. I take an XL in the Tokito Sports jacket I'm guessing the hidcote would be the same?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's funny is that I went back to the exact page with one click. Which did you end up buying? I was leaning towards the quilted but when I called up my local Barbour store, they said the pile was warmer but also I don't know if I would like the look of the pile or te feel of it

I am still waiting on a deal on the polarquilt liner. I think I can get some use out of it as outerwear. Don't think I can do the same with the pile liner.

pdxmeyer

Reaction score
Anyone have an Ashby and can comment on how slim it fits? I had a Bedale for about 8 years that was stolen two nights ago so looking to replace it, but if there's something acceptably trimmer would definitely be interested.
Also, anyone able to comment on how likely I would be to find a replacement Medium waxed cotton olive jacket at the Barbour outlet in the Kittery and/or Milford outlets (I read 20ish pages back that Kittery was bigger but how does that translate)?

Just purchased an Ashby as my first Barbour jacket this year. It looks slimmer from the outside as you're wearing it, but there's still room on the inside. I just wore it with a wool sweater and it wasn't too tight. It's not as boxy as Bedale. I really enjoy the look and room of the Ashby, and I might get a liner in the future. Good Luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads