• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

tom delgado

Reaction score
Last week talking about re proofing my wax Beaford the shop girl told me about the possibility to "switch" my jacket from wax to sylkoil, for the smell she says. Assuming that i LIKE my Barbours smell, is it possible to change proofing? What's the tecnique they use? Do they clean away all the old wax and apply from zero on sylkoil or are both things mixed togheter? Last info, is sylkoil less greasy and sticky than wax? Thank you all!

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last week talking about re proofing my wax Beaford the shop girl told me about the possibility to "switch" my jacket from wax to sylkoil, for the smell she says. Assuming that i LIKE my Barbours smell, is it possible to change proofing? What's the tecnique they use? Do they clean away all the old wax and apply from zero on sylkoil or are both things mixed togheter? Last info, is sylkoil less greasy and sticky than wax? Thank you all!

Shouldnt you have asked the chick that worked there...? Not to give you a hard time but Im sure she would have known the answer.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sylkoil and Thornproof use the same wax!

The difference is the cotton - Sylkoil is lighter weight and has a slightly peached finish. Re-waxing won't effect the smell...

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Tried on a Bedale and fit well in a 38. Found it weirdly short in the body though, so I think I'm going for a Beaufort instead. What size Beaufort should I go if I'm a 38 in the Bedale? Is the fit drastically different, or would I be a 38 in both? Looking for a slim-ish fit.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried on a Bedale and fit well in a 38. Found it weirdly short in the body though, so I think I'm going for a Beaufort instead. What size Beaufort should I go if I'm a 38 in the Bedale? 

might be mistaken, but should fit the same just longer...did you try on equestrian bedale? That is even shorter than the traditional.

tom delgado

Reaction score
@omniscientcause
I forgot it
263a.png
because I was in a hurry..girlfriend waiting in car
1f631.png

CEE88

Reaction score

Just received my bedale back from the factory and I had asked them to repair a tear, rewax, and add a leather trim to the bottom hem. The repair exceeded my expectation and turned out to be much cheaper than what a local tailor would have charged. Here are some pictures of the repair and bonus bag:

They additionally tightened up some loose threads and got this 16 year old jacket back to prime shape.

Stewbone, your jacket looks great. Thanks for posting pics. Hope it lasts another 16 years!

By the way, I just had my Beaufort in to Barbour for a repair & rewax ( http://www.styleforum.net/t/222059/offical-barbour-thread/1560#post_6546282 ), but I didn't get the fancy bag. What gives?

Last edited:

yesssir

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the zip-in liner for the bedale/beaufort? I'm wondering how much warmer it makes the jacket for the winter.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried on a Bedale and fit well in a 38. Found it weirdly short in the body though, so I think I'm going for a Beaufort instead. What size Beaufort should I go if I'm a 38 in the Bedale? Is the fit drastically different, or would I be a 38 in both? Looking for a slim-ish fit. 

Fit is the exact same, only difference is length, game pockets, and no elastic cuffs.

Last edited:

tom delgado

Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with the zip-in liner for the bedale/beaufort? I'm wondering how much warmer it makes the jacket for the winter.

I have the button fixed man Made fur lining, it makes the Beaufort considerably warmer!

g2x222

Reaction score
Now that it's getting colder in New England, I'm thinking about grabbing a Barbour, but I'm having trouble deciding on the style and size. The thickest layer I might wear under the jacket on very cold days is a puffy down vest (a North Face Nuptse). Typically, I'll probably wear shirts and/or sweaters. I also have a tweed sport coat that I'd like to wear under it occasionally; I measured it from the base of the collar to the bottom and it's ~28".

For sizing, I'm relatively small (5' 6", 130lbs) and I have a disproportionately short torso (my inseam is ~32"). To give you an idea of my chest size, I recently bought a size 34 suit from SuitSupply, and I wear XS s

As for the style, I was originally thinking about getting the Beaufort. I really like the back pocket, but I'm worried it would be too long for my frame. The Bedale would probably be the next option, but I don't know if it's too short for the sport coat. Finally, I've come across a discontinued jacket, the Longstone (http://www.royalmale.com/barbour-me...d-quilt-jackets/barbour-longstone-jacket.html) on sale at a retailer for $225, so I'm also considering that. The jacket supposedly has a slim cut, so I'm not sure if layering would still be an option.

Finally, if I get the Beaufort or Bedale, I'm thinking about ordering it from countryattire.com. They include a free gift (I'd pick a storm hood), and the UK pricing is a bit less than US pricing. My main concern is customs when the shipment enters the country.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Sorry if this is way too much information, the way the jackets are cut makes sizing a bit difficult when layering is a consideration, and the retailers located nearby don't have a good selection of sizes or styles.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads