1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

2. catchingsalmon

catchingsalmon New Member

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Got both of my Ashbys today. Love the fit and the coat. Compared to my SL Bedale. I didn't take measurements, just compared the fits. The Ashby is such a better fit. Looks more trim and doesn't have ridiculously high armholes. On top of that the armholes look as high. Also has a thinner wale collar which looks better. Wish they'd do a few new colors in the Ashby. And on a side note Barbour needs to get the snaps on the outside of the pocket of the Bristol and I'll buy some. Not that I need another coat much less a Barbour.

4. poena

poena Senior member

If I have a bedale now is it worth looking into changing it out for an Ashby? from what I gather they are essentially the same jacket just that the ashby is slimmer?

5. Amanda NYCParis

Amanda NYCParis New Member

Ashville Solutions is fake. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. They will send you something else, then say that it was a mistake, and because it it so hard to exchange, why don't you just buy something else from them with a discount and keep the other one!
    you've got to be kidding me. They should be shut down.

6. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Buy my Barbour jacket pictured in my sig below!

7. Amanda NYCParis

Amanda NYCParis New Member

Too good to be true. FAKE. Dont buy from Ashville Solutions.

8. catchingsalmon

catchingsalmon New Member

I seen this today and it is awesome, it's a tweed sports jacket, same design as the Commander[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. fullycaffed

fullycaffed Active Member

found my first Barbour jacket today and it set me back $6.99 not a bad thrift store find!
    It seems like a good fit for me, i guess this style is supposed to fit a bit loose?

not really sure about the belt either but if i leave it undone there's a wire that makes it awkwardly stick out. should i just take it off if i don't want to fasten it, or fasten it behind my back?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Don't look so mad, that's a once in a life time bargain, and a great fit. Enjoy that bad boy.

11. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

great find...mine cost a little bit more then that... I find the belt awkward also, so I didnt use it for the first few months of wearing it. That being said I think the jacket looks and fits better when I wear it with the belt.

12. fullycaffed

I can see that, I'll leave it on and see if it grows on me.

Haha, you'll have to cut me some slack, it's my first time posting pictures, kind of an odd experience taking pictures of yourself.

This jacket will go great with my Yamaha XT-500...as soon as i get it running that is.

13. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Ya i'm just giving you a hard time, dont sweat it haha.

Can you comment on its size and yours? ie, its a 40 and you're normally a 40, 5/6 foot whatever, etc etc. I think that fit is basically perfect; and I am thinking of an international at some point.

14. fullycaffed

I'm 6' 195 lbs dress shirt 16.5 35 (slim/extra slim). usually wear a sport coat size 42R

the coat is marked as C44/112cm
    actual measurements:
    shoulder:19"
    chest: 51"
    sleeve" 35"

I actually just assumed it was a large(42) until you asked me to look. pretty surprised it's a 44
    also the C may be for Classic fit the second most loose fit of 4

15. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Fuck you, man.

16. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yea i thought mine was a good deal at 320...

17. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. RLX009

RLX009 Member

This is a post on sizing and quality of the Liddesdale and the Ashby. There's been a lot of unanswered questions on this topic so I'll try my best to inform. I'm 5'8-9" about 160-65 lbs, wear a 38S, 32" waist, 29"-30" inseam, with a 7.5 in dress shoes and 8-8.5 in casual shoes, just to give you an idea of my dimensions. Pants wise I usually wear JCrew 484 jeans.

The Liddesdale I got an XS, it fits snug in the shoulders, perfect in the arms. I usually wear a button down shirt and sweater underneath and often a scarf and it's a snug button fit, the way I like it. I could have gotten a S, but the armlength would have been too long I believe. The sleeve ends are piped in a thicker canvas like weave that would have made it difficult to flip up if too long. Regarding wear, the brilliance of the olive colored polyamide outer seems to increase with washing, which I find nice, however it spots like no other. After a few nights out I could account for them looking at the jacket. It machine washes well, however the brown corduroy collar is fading slightly in color. The part I hate the most is that brown cord collar, it looks obnoxious up and 70s lounge suit down. The lowest temp I could comfortably wear it is in the upper 40s F. The quality

The Ashby I just got, in medium, and it fits better than the Bedale. The arms are an inch or two too long but the interior of the sleeve ends are lined in corduroy can flips out easily. I wore it last night in 20s F + wind weather over a combination of thermal underwear, oxford button down, cashmere/wool blend zip up sweater. After I returned home, I noticed the interior shoulder parts had condensation, as did the arms. Those are the parts that are lined in nylon, not the tartan fabric. I emailed Sid Mashburn and they said it is normal in waxed jackets (btw their customer service is ridic good). Barbour on the other hand has yet to email me back. I got the navy color but the only navy I see is in the lining. The collar and outer looks black.

Why the Ashby over the Bedale? The Bedale has a fuller cut, making me look shorter and giving me an overall unflattering profile. The zipper was a bright gold color and the jacket had a shinier appearance. I can see why it's more popular with women. The Ashby had a more understated matte finish, darker more natural looking zipper, smaller collar, a more slimming profile and seemed just a tad longer than the Bedale. There was less wrinkling in the shoulder and draped better. I was anxious about wearing a blazer/odd jacket underneath and it fits right at the limit. I'm happy, no need to get a Beaufort with suits. Also the Ashby doesn't have the elastic wrist protector that the Bedale does, allowing one to wear a suit jacket underneath.

I purchased a JCrew M65 style waxed jacket over 10 years ago in Pasadena (on sale of course, nobody would wear that in cali), and it has kept me warm and dry for years. I always wondered just how much better a Barbour would be, and unfortunately the quality leaves much to be desired. My made in China M65 had perfect stitching, and has not had any issues during that time. My Tunisia made Ashby has seams what appears to to be made by a drunk 10 year old. Add to that the condensation, I think I just bought an old Land Rover. Maybe I hyped it up too much all these years. I ordered a Japan market Bedale SL and will review that in a week or so.

2 people like this.
  19. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

A few comments/questions on the screed above:

1) I've never owned a Liddesdale, but I do know you shouldn't be machine washing it (probably the source of its "spotting").

2) By "condensation," do you mean sweat? If so, I don't think it's fair to hold Barbour responsible for your overactive excretory system.

3) Are we supposed to be surprised that Sid Mashburn - which has two brick and mortar locations - responded to your email quickly? Barbour is sold worldwide. They probably receive hundreds if not thousands of emails a day.

4) If your experience with Barbour has been so negative, why did you just order a Bedale?

20. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Actually the care label for the Liddesdale indicates it's machine washable.