Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Congratulations. Looks like a nice style. Wear it in good health.

2. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I've been looking to buy a Barbour for three years. The Georgetown, DC store is only 2 miles from my house so I've been there countless times trying on everything they had in the store. I always wanted the class waxed jacket, bedale, beaufort, etc. but they are too baggy/boxy and when I size down the sleeves are too short. Today I stopped in again looking to see if they got anything new for the fall and I walked out with a Powell quilted jacket in black. I really like it. Very similar to the Chelsea but it has a fleece lining so it can be worn all fall and winter. I also found a new waxed jacket called the Argon which is much slimmer and has longer sleeves. It fit like a glove. However, I liked the Powell more so I bought that one.

Does anyone on here have a Powell or Chelsea jacket? How do you wear yours? Is it appropriate for smart casual settings in a dark color, like black? If you have any pictures wearing them, please post so I can get an idea!

3. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I agree. It seems like generally Barbour equates M to a 40" chest, and L to a 42" (although their website says 42.5" in one place). By the way I just visited their website and it is not particularly fun to browse.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Chelsea comes in three weights (Flyweight?, Sportsquilt, and Polarquilt).

I think I have a picture of me in my Chelsea somewhere earlier in this thread. I definitely think it works in smart casual settings. My Chelsea is Navy blue.

5. TauKappaEpsilon

Terrible (really, really awful) shot, so my apologies in advanced, of my new Barbour Powell. Size small. For reference I am 6' tall with a 35.5 inch chest and a size 29 waist.

[​IMG]
    Can anyone comment on fit? The store doesnt have this in an XS however, they did have the Chelsea Sportsquilt in an XS and it fit a lot more snug. I opted for the Powell because I think I'll like/need more room in the winter to layer heavy sweaters or the occasional SC. What do you think?

6. TauKappaEpsilon

7. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

Great fix! My bedale has been in the factory for repairs for two weeks now. How long was the turn around for yours?

8. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

I wouldn't go any smaller as you can already see a little pulling in the chest and midsection. Sleeve length looks good despite your lengthy build.

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Snagged my first non-vest Barbour. Gamefair obtained in a trade on here. It's got the stank but I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to trying my hand at rewaxing it and to winter weather setting in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Want to trade me that sweater?

11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Hi Stewbone, sorry for the tardy response - I'm not exactly sure but it wasn't more than a month. I went through a local retailer who sent it to Barbour for me (at no additional cost).

12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Nice coat!
    Good luck with the re-wax. There are several videos on the web that illustrate the process. I might try it next time.

13. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

It looks good. I agree with the above comment - don't go smaller. What if any layers will you be wearing? If you plan on heavy sweaters, as you say, then it might be a bit snug.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. raknes

raknes Member

Hello,

I am rather new to this forum in terms of posts, but have been a lurker for a while now. I live in Norway and I am looking for a nice waxed jacket or something close that is water resistant and looks great for the fall/early winter. Considering I am a student without the possibility of trying out a Barbour waxed jacket I'd really like it to fit when it arrives. I am a slim small or a regular XS, really depends on the brand (In PRL I am a Small in the Slim fit shirts, even though they tend to be a tad too long for casual wear). The Barbour site is not the easiest to navigate through at the moment.

What do you guys recommend for me as a first time wax jacket? The Corbridge? Looking for a slim, casual look. Will mostly wear a single shirt or with a sweater. I have the Barbour International Ariel Quilted in XS and it fits quite alright.

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before, but the search function didn't really give me anything and a 105 pages of read in this thread is a little bit of hassle.

Also other jacket recommendations than from Barbour are of course appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  15. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

I'd go with the Bedale or Beaufort. Those are the classic Barbours.

As for sizing the general advice is to stick to your normal size if you're going to wear a heavy sweater or sport coat underneath, if not you can size down one size. I'd try either a 34" or a 36", but in any case you should measure your chest and arms to see which would fit you better.