• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cold war painter

Reaction score

No it's actually attached to the jacket.

Yeah, it's attached by snaps, three each side of the chest and one at the back near the tag. It's held in fairly securely but easy enough to detach.

My question about the aircraft jacket would be about the bit of woolly sheepskin on the left breast of the vest .. does it have any purpose other than decoration? It seems like a bit of a random thing just to be stuck on there. It detaches (snaps again) so no big deal but I'm curious.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's attached by snaps, three each side of the chest and one at the back near the tag. It's held in fairly securely but easy enough to detach.

My question about the aircraft jacket would be about the bit of woolly sheepskin on the left breast of the vest .. does it have any purpose other than decoration? It seems like a bit of a random thing just to be stuck on there. It detaches (snaps again) so no big deal but I'm curious.

I think it's for fly-fishing. You hook your lures on it. My Barbour To Ki To fishing jackets all come with one. I like the look, but for everyday wear just keep them off.

pasteurisation

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality(warmth) of the tweed wool cameraman jacket? I love the style though, I have no idea if I can survive with it in freezing winter of Canada. I have a Filson mackinaw cruiser jacket that looks more or less similar to the cameraman jacket & it is definitely not warm enough in winter. Thanks for your time.

cold war painter

Reaction score

I think it's for fly-fishing.  You hook your lures on it.  My Barbour To Ki To fishing jackets all come with one.  I like the look, but for everyday wear just keep them off.

Ah, makes sense! Thank you.

Can anyone comment on the quality(warmth) of the tweed wool cameraman jacket? I love the style though, I have no idea if I can survive with it in freezing winter of Canada.

The quality of make is very good but the Cameraman isn't really known for being warm, they are more of a shell so you'd need a hefty midlayer (or two).

therealeeyore

Reaction score

Did anyone here grab the army green cashmere Duffle in size 52 from Corniche?

It was at the top of my dream list.

Looks like Corniche was the only place that had it in army green.

I'm the guilty party. I just joined the forum so that I could respond to your question. Every Cabourn piece I own is a size 54, but Ian strongly advised going down. If you normally wear size 52, you really should grab the size 50 while it's available. The coat is amazing.

Last edited:

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply - yes I read somewhere else (maybe on Superdenim?) that they run over-sized.

Funny thing is on a duffle I would usually go up a size.

Looks like Corniche was the only place that took them in green.

Is the green darker in real life to the photos shown on Corniche?

How are the pockets on the back?

It looks an amazing piece but I'm not sure if I can justify 2K of investment for 1 garment.

Anyone own a red Mallory in size 52 they would like to part with?

Last edited:

therealeeyore

Reaction score
The duffle is definitely a relaxed fit. As I mentioned, I am a size 54 in everything else, but the size 52 duffle is still plenty roomy.

I'd say that the photos on Corniche are accurate as to color, but in person it's, for lack of a better description, softer. Really beautiful.

The pockets on the back are, without doubt, an interesting feature, but they don't bother me at all.

flumestory

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have the Formal Pants in navy? I've been thinking about those but am currently around 31" in waist in jeans.

Is there any material that can be let out at the back on a 30"? Or if going for a 32" size, is it easy on the back to take the material in?
I'd most probably would need to alter one way or other.

Many thanks.

I'll be letting go of my FW2012 crazy Mallory jacket for reasonable compensation as having slimmed a bit it's just too big and long on the body. Trying to have it altered does not seem sensible(?) I should be listing it in the classifieds in the near future. I'm not wearing it and I really like my size 46 indigo Mallory which is the better size for me.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked this up on Ebay. Suppose to be ventile. Emailed cabourn and asked what type of ventile, but they didn't get back. Anybody know anything about this piece.

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

Picked this up on Ebay. Suppose to be ventile. Emailed cabourn and asked what type of ventile, but they didn't get back. Anybody know anything about this piece.

Don't know what weight of Ventile it is but I think it was called 'Short Parka Wet weather Type' from either AW11 or SS12
There weren't many around and I don't remember it in that colour - does it have a Mainline green label or a Black Authentic label ?

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
Looks like Corniche was the only place that took them in green.

The 14oz store in Mitte has the green duffle. Not sure about the size, but I spent a few minutes just savouring the feel of the fabric when I visited there at Xmas. Incredibly nice. Worth 2k? A duffle worth a decent secondhand car? Hardly. They also had quite a lot of other Cabourn stuff, including an absolutely superb Harris Tweed Cape Cameraman.

The 14oz on Kudamm has the holy grail of trousers in stock though, at only 299 euros a pop. The Bombay Pants in 4 different varieties of Harris Tweed. As rare as hens teeth?

More about my trip to Berlin here: http://welldresseddad.com/2014/01/03/so-i-flew-to-berlin-for-a-weekend/

Nick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads