• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
sorry , this here -

Last edited:

jonnyt

Reaction score

Has anyone bought this or seen / tried in flesh to give their opinion , I'm really taken by this , but not been to a shop that sells it .. appreciate thoughts / opinions ..

Yep, I have just bought the Orange version. I have tried on the yellow and navy as well. It's a really beautiful jacket. I like the way the unlined ventile feels and drapes here more than how it looks on the parka or the shoulders of my Mallory.
The construction is typically excellent as you would expect from NC but I do find the riri zip a little fiddley.

It is certainly a very expensive piece but I managed to get a discount and VAT removed to ease the pain. I didn't dare wait for sales as stock already seems low and I'm a size 50 so I didn't think there would be any left come the end of the season, especially in Orange. I'm also hoping to get four-season wear out of it for many years, so I think it should pay for itself.

As for the efficacy of ventile vs gore-tex, I'm not too worried. If I'm hill-walking in the rain or doing snow-sports, I'm wearing technical clothing, not this. But I do feel that 99% of "normal-wear" conditions should be well-served by this jacket.

I'd say go for it if you are on the fence. it looks even better in person than in the online pictures. However, if you can wait a year or don't like the colours available this season, I imagine he will be producing it again as it seems to have been really popular.

Only downside is that my wife calls it an anorak...

Syeknom

Reaction score
Anoraks are awesome but are defined by not having a front opening (i.e. being pullover). Drop some education.

Sounds like a gorgeous jacket, enjoy it!

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
Im not prepared to pay anywhere near rrp for this , first season ones were £250 iirc , ok these are Ventile , but that doesn't justify such a massive hike , I'm gonna need 54 , and yellow is the colour I've taken to .. so see if I can find it somewhere when the sales hit ..

jonnyt

Reaction score

Im not prepared to pay anywhere near rrp for this , first season ones were £250 iirc , ok these are Ventile , but that doesn't justify such a massive hike , I'm gonna need 54 , and yellow is the colour I've taken to .. so see if I can find it somewhere when the sales hit ..

I agree. Although the construction and detailing also looks to be improved over previous versions, as well as the material i think more than a 100% price increase seems excessive. I wouldn't have paid rrp.
I think you might be lucky with 54 in yellow come sale time. They fit TTS (unlike most Cabourn) so you should feel safe buying online.
The yellow looks great in person as well.

Morph

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Nigel Cabourn Tenzing camo , did not like the look when was first released but has grown on me. Its seems to be a very slim fit with a size 50 been only 20 inches pit to pit.its the ss12 I am looking at. Does any one know the difference between this years version and last.

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score
The only difference I can detect from my SS12 camo Tenzing and the SS13 Notch Lapel jacket, other than the name, is that the base coloured cloth that the camo pattern is printed on is more mauve-ish rather than green on the SS13 version.

This makes the overall colour of the SS13 one look more green and deepens the green colour of the print

The handle of the cotton fabric feels slightly differently - the SS13 feels softer and I think will wear just a little better in terms of looking more 'lived in' .

The style, sizing, buttons and camo pattern is identical

Last edited:

Morph

Reaction score

The only difference I can detect from my SS12 camo Tenzing and the SS13 Notch Lapel jacket, other than the name, is that the base coloured cloth that the camo pattern is printed on is more mauve-ish rather than green on the SS13 version.

This makes the overall colour of the SS13 one look more green and deepens the green colour of the print

The handle of the cotton fabric feels slightly differently - the SS13 feels softer and I think will wear just a little better in terms of looking more 'lived in' .

The style, sizing, buttons and camo pattern is identical

How was the sizing on yours, some sites suggest on sizing up

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

How was the sizing on yours, some sites suggest on sizing up

Can only comment on my slim frame - I have a 35" chest, height 5'11 and normally take a Cabourn 46 and the 46 SS12 Tenzing Camo jacket is perfect.

It is a slim fitting jacket and should be tight on the shoulders in my opinion

There has been discussion before on this jacket on this forum a few months ago which I posted some photos on where I think the shoulder line should lie

Also think it looks better if it just small enough to just button up and is tight around the waist so it gives a waisted and preppy look

TSURI

Reaction score
Hej,

I am looking for a NC Coastal Reversible Flannel Shirt in Red size 48. They went for GBP 130
but I missed it :(

In case someone wants to let it go, let me know. Willing to pay more (new)

Emixam

Reaction score
has anyone ordered from ushowu ? Are they legit ? Their site seems to be down at the moment, and I have emailed them 3 times since last Friday and no answer so far.

EDIT : ok their site/emails are under maintenance, just contacted them through FB and they replied imemdiately

Last edited:

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

has anyone ordered from ushowu ? Are they legit ? Their site seems to be down at the moment, and I have emailed them 3 times since last Friday and no answer so far.

EDIT : ok their site/emails are under maintenance, just contacted them through FB and they replied imemdiately

I have bought a few NC items from them over the last couple of years and they have always offered a great service although they do take a few days to email back any answers to questions,

They are part of a shoe retailer/wholesaler called Dipper

Always makes me nervous when a website is down for any length of time though

Sales now on at Flannels, Superdenim and End Clothing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads