1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Phil McCrackin

Phil McCrackin Senior member

Cabourn store 50% disco ..

1 person likes this.
  2. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

it's a funny thing when a brand can cut it's price in half and you still contemplate the purchase.

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Well they didn't mark much of note anyway. Still if you can subtract VAT and you like something it's a not bad. Flannels had 10% off sale today though which I found to be as good if not better. They're even ahead of End at the moment.

Run on size 50s this year. Mallorys for sure, but a lot if other styles as well.

4. ike_hiking_boots

OK if you can subtract VAT and they kindly mark as a gift/low value - otherwise you're really no better off.

5. Phil McCrackin

any photo's of S/S collection knocking about ?

6. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

Somewhere back in the thread there's a link to some video footage of SS14, if you can be bothered to hunt through and find it. Personally I wasn't blown away, but I appreciate that it's not a broad view of the collection.

7. Phil McCrackin

have seen the video , not many pieces shown on it ..

8. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

I found the website of the photographer of the lookbook the other week and must have forgot to post it. I'll have a good look at lunchtime but I think the guy may have been called Alex Telfor. Or something like that.

9. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

10. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

I must say his photography is brilliant. I notice his main contact number is a Newcastle number, so convenient for NC. The ten sample images might be AW13 but it all looks very good.

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

It's SS14. You can see what is presumably Spain in the background of some of the shots. Sadly the shots are rather dark and you can't make out the styles too well. Hopefully the shops start getting in their inventory soon. I'm curious to see some of it in better detail.
    Well it depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay it. For instance the peacoat in size 50 was available on the site and on Superdenim IIRC just 48 hours ago. Now it's gone from both shops and I don't see it available in a 50 anywhere. And VAT on top of 50% for Cabourn tends to be when things start to move. Of course AW collections seem to sell better so it's more the case with the AW styles than the SS styles.

12. Phil McCrackin

13. ike_hiking_boots

I'm not sure if I follow your thinking - if the item is marked down @ 50% then it's still inclusive of VAT for UK and Euro customers - it's only customers outside of the Eurozone that can request the VAT is taken off the price - in which case you will have 16.7% taken off. But chances are you will pay shipping and some import duty and it will work out the same.

The Peacoat has sold out because it was discounted, is that surprising?

I want a cashmere duffle coat but I'm not prepared to pay for it :)

14. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Yeah, and I'm outside the UK and the Eurozone. On top of that, 16.7% is 16.7%. On Cabourn that's a good little chunk of change. Shipping isn't too bad and import duty is 10% max assuming I get hit. All of that is not to mention that Cabourn is cheaper in the UK than it is over here in the States. I can get your standard Barbour Bedale or Beaufort for 40% off just by doing a standard order from the UK as opposed to just ordering one from here in the States.

It's not surprising, though it's interesting that one shop had it on sale for over a week at that price and then as soon as the other shop went to sale and sold out, the first shop sold out as well. Point wasn't that it's surprising but rather an example of either get it and bite the bullet or miss out and that 50s are flying fast in just about everything.

Well good luck with that. I can't see it going too far. I could have had an Everest for $1000 back in the Summer and balked. I just can't spend that much on a piece. IMO you can get other good looking duffles out there anyway including a Gloverall. Of course the NC is the one I'd want to, but...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  15. ike_hiking_boots

that's interesting to hear that the max import duty is only 10%. here we pay 20% (same as the VAT) + any handling charge. I always ask for the store to mark as gift and low value, but some don't want to do that and they usually lose the sale unless I am desperate. Barneys and some other stores now have a system where you pay all import duties at point of sale, which is neat but I would prefer not to and take my chances the Post Office doesn't pick up on it. I went through a phase of buying a lot of Mister Freedom and used to order it from a small store in Japan and it worked out significantly cheaper than purchasing from the USA + the store always marked it as gift/low value - never once paid import. stuff would also arrive with-in about 3 days.

there is some psychology in Sale shopping, you probably had some buyers watching the Peacoat and edging their bets, then all of a sudden it sells out at one store and they panic buy and hence it's sold out at both. It's pretty likely NC will have something very similar in AW14.

The Gloverall Duffles are good value for money but they are really not that nice IMO. Ralph Lauren have quite a nice one in their Purple collectionl, saw it a few weeks ago reduced down from £2,500 to £1000 but it's not Cashmere! CP Company and Paul Smith have made some good ones, but they don't have anything in their current collections. Maybe get one custom made.

16. nigritude

nigritude Member

man that alex telfer lookbook is great. that photography... i certainly dont look anything like that when i put on my nigel cabourn. that dude is way more attractive than me to begin with but still.

17. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior member

Just thought I would post a few interesting Cabourn spottings

If you go to the German Manufactum website - www.manufactum.de and type in Nigel Cabourn into search, a new version of the Cold Weather Parka has appeared. Same overall design as previous versions but in beeswax and parafin cotton which looks really nice.

For anyone wanting to buy an item exclusively on the German website its a bit tricky as you can pay for the item via email or phone but they will only deliver to an address or a store in Germany. (I know as I've tried)

An Edward Atkinson Surgeon jacket in size 46 has come up for sale on ebay UK. The seller imported it from Japan and is based in Manchester.

It's pricey to buy it now at £800 which is rather steep for second hand regardless of condition but certainly cheaper than it would have been to import and buy new and is open to sensible offers.

UshowU still have a great statement of line for sale and they were offering a scaled sizable discount code which seems to have disappeared at the moment.

Cruise Fashion in Glasgow still has a few SS13 pieces in on sale - particularly nice is the Mainline navy jersey Mallory, sizes 46 and 48.

18. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

19. ike_hiking_boots

Is saw the Surgeons jacket earlier in the week and a little chuckle at the seller description:

Pit to pit is 19", but this is an archive piece and is most likely not going to be worn, it's more a collectors piece.

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

Had a chance to check out F/W 14 and the Filson collab, some awesome stuff