• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

near perfect $30 haircut - how much would you tip?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
still, I would think the average stylist has a fairly low salary before tips. By average stylist i mean the type who charges $30 for a haircut. I'm guessing 30k a year? How could they be paid more than that. If anyone knows any hard numbers, please specify. If someone cuts my hair for almost an hour (she really does) and makes 30k a year, I think a tip is appropriate. Do you think she makes $60k salary or more? If that is really true then I would rethink my tip philosophy altogether.
What drizzt and lawyerdad said. Plus 30k a year in the Bay Area is different from 30k a year in say Arizona. "Average stylist" is VERY highly dependent on the situation at hand. Look at my post above for the usual ways these things work. If you want more information, well, it gets more involved when you factor in how many appointments are taken in a working day, average time per haircut, expenditures on equipment, product sales, colour (if offered it is usually significantly more expensive) and much much more... Anyway, my take? If you appreciate the haircut, tip well and recommend her to your acquaintances. That is always a good thing
smile.gif

trentlane669

Reaction score
Tarmac, I'm actually looking for a good place to get my hair cut in the South Bay (hopefully that's where you're located). I go to Santa Clara University, and I've only gotten my hair cut at some crappy places around here. I've started wearing it longer now so I care about the cut a lot more, though.

Might I get some recommendations? (if you're in the South Bay)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tip 20% and round under to the nearest dollar amount.

However, I use to have a barber who was the owner of his own store, so I didn't tip him anything.

tiratela

Reaction score
I've been cutting my own hair for over a year now. At times when I want a break from the razor, I go to the Barber shop. I tip about 25%.. That comes to about $1.00.

How do you guys figure it out if you get a messed up haircut, and the guy spent 30-40 minutes on you, and rents the chair? TIP anyways just out of pity?

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiratela
I've been cutting my own hair for over a year now. At times when I want a break from the razor, I go to the Barber shop. I tip about 25%.. That comes to about $1.00.

How do you guys figure it out if you get a messed up haircut, and the guy spent 30-40 minutes on you, and rents the chair? TIP anyways just out of pity?

With poor service, haircut or otherwise, I tip around 10-15%. With satisfactory service, I tip 15-20%. With exceptional service, I tip around 20-25%.

My girlfriend's mother tips like no one I have ever known. Upwards of 30-40% for good service.

ts4them

Reaction score
For a $30 "near perfect" haircut I'd definitely leave $10. I go to a barber and pay $10 for the hc, and I leave a $5 tip- a little overboard, but I like him.

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I used to go to a decent place (lets rate them 8 out of 10) which was $25. This made tipping rather easy, I would leave a $5 tip every time.

I found a place which does a slightly better job, exactly like I want it and they got massv skillz, but the price is $30. I left $40 total last time, but that seems excessive in some ways. Is $5 being a cheap bastard? Also feel cheap giving them something like a fiver and 2 singles.

cry me a river
musicboohoo[1].gif
how much would you tip?

I shave my head, but if I were to get my haircut by a pro, it would be a Barber, (even though I could have it done for free-my uncle is a Hairstylist and owns a couple of salons).

I usd to get my hair cut every 3 weeks or so, and I would tip my barber 25%.
The best part is that he used to charge 8 bucks, so I would hand him a ten and we'd be cool. (this is over 15 years ago).

If you look at it as a service industry, then you could tip like when at a restaurant (15-25% would be a good range), depending on the quality of the service.

Impulse155

Reaction score
id tip him 10...5$ seems a bit small for me. Where i go haircuts only cost 10$ or so and i tip them 5$. So just out of that i wud assume a 30$ haircut wud need it bumped up a bit. Do you do anything special with it? Like do they gel it, and all that fun stuff. Or is it just like a buzz cut. If its a buzz cut, then i would only do 5$ since that only takes 5 mins to do. Its wutever u think its worth tho bro.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I go to pay and cost me $110. I couldn't ******* believe it. A guy's haircut with scissors and no color or anything. I got hammered immediately afterward and never went back."

WTF does that mean: "You got hammered immediately afterward"...?

Are you telling us the whole story?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A girl comes to my office or apartment and cuts my hair for $35 and I tip her $10 or $15. I know that's a bit generous, but she does come to me, she brings me coffee, she does a great job, and she's incredibly warm and friendly.

Oh, and she's 24 and painfully gorgeous. Almost forgot that part. (she also works sometimes in a local shop that I know many streetwear guys frequent, so I bet some of you have met her.)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf? housecalls?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I have decided to leave $10 every time, unless she messes up or something. And she doesn't own the place so I think tips are appropriate.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
A girl comes to my office or apartment and cuts my hair for $35 and I tip her $10 or $15. I know that's a bit generous, but she does come to me, she brings me coffee, she does a great job, and she's incredibly warm and friendly.

Oh, and she's 24 and painfully gorgeous. Almost forgot that part. (she also works sometimes in a local shop that I know many streetwear guys frequent, so I bet some of you have met her.)

Damn....now that sounds like a good gig.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
It's OK to tip in $1 increments, why not make a point to carry some one dollar bills?

I'm hesitant to tip well at "nice" places where they're more interested in making your next appointment (6 weeks!!!) than cutting your hair... 15% is plenty.

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy Love
I truly don't understand tipping? Don't they get paid for their jobs?
From Resevoir Dogs

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make sh**t.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. If she don't make enough money then she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a f**king Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your d**ck?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

That being said, I'm actually a pretty big tipper, I just like his argument!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RussoBeri