• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naked and famous denim

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So El Argentino said I should consider either hem or taper, but if I got them tapered, wouldn't they still need to be hemmed? or is that assuming that stacking would take care of the length?
Thanks for the feedback. I was nervous before posting here, but I'm glad I did. I appreciate the contrasting points of view, and I'll have to make up my own mind, but I appreciate the perspective.

That was my fault - hemmed or cuffed. Tapering denim is usually a fruitless gesture - easier to just find a different cut. It's rare on the boards that I've seen someone have their denim tapered and it doesn't end up on the B/S.

They need to be shortened, however you decide to do it.

Ecco

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why everyone is sizing down so much and then complaining about fit?
No idea. I went TTS and found the fit of the jeans perfect then sized down one and everyone could see my package. Lesson learned.

erockisalive

Reaction score

No idea.  I went TTS and found the fit of the jeans perfect then sized down one and everyone could see my package.  Lesson learned.

I agree. I don't understand the obsession with getting jeans as tight as humanly possible, especially if you're not 90 lbs.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
UPDATE! on the brown canvas slim guy jeans:

For those interested, these arrived very true to size (size 32, 16.2" , waistband aligned) and after three days of wear (and many deep-knee bends :D ) stretched out a full inch in the waist. They also appear to have stretched a tiny bit in the thighs, though I neglected to measure those upon arrival. I haven't washed them yet.

I'm sure this'll come back to haunt me when I lose the eight pounds I've recently put on, but for now: :slayer:

Last edited:

Walt Thizzney

Reaction score
I have a pair of Elephant 2 skinny guys that i just bought…. had a pair of UNiqlo Slim Straight that fit really well in same size… well after a week of breaking them in and some brusing they are starting to loosen up a little, espessially in the waste

akg101

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me with sizing for the Slim Guys.

I wear a 32 in Levi's 501 and 514.. How much should I be sizing down?

I've never owned a pair of selvedge jeans and I have no idea how much they stretch.

Thanks

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me with sizing for the Slim Guys.
I've never owned a pair of selvedge jeans and I have no idea how much they stretch.
Thanks

i wear 33 in 501. wear 31 in slimguy.

yes i could only just button up, yes thighs were painted on. a few days in they were great but a little tight. after a month they were perfect.

sandan

Reaction score
Thanks

I wear 32 in levi 514 slims (perfect fit). I currently wear NF slims at 32, they probably fit the same as 33.5 in levis.

These are definitely designed for the hip instead the waist, so my 32's are working out. Ideally I would of chosen 31's. I can imagine 30's working if I was going for the super tight thigh look.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total newbie here. I just bought my first pair of raw denim jeans in the Gilt N&F sale last week. Normally I would have done a lot of research before buying, but I was afraid of missing out on the deals, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of 34 Slim Guys. I've now read through about 50 pages of this thread, but wanted to get your opinions on the fit:

I now have a much better idea of fit (I thought denim shrank, but turns out the opposite is true: it stretches!) and think I could size down. But with Gilts's return policy, I think I can only get a refund and not exchange sizes... So in my opinion I'm pretty happy with the deal for $85 and think it is a decent first pair. What do you guys think?

They don't look huge, a little bit of a diaper effect but that may not bother you. As long as le package is not being compressed and they are not falling I would keep them. For that price, its a pretty good deal.

myself and el argentino have the thigh problem, I wear the NF WG size 33. It fits me well, has loosened up in the waist more than I would like but they dont "sag". Do you know what dimensions you are looking for? Or do you have your dimensions? That should make it easier for us to help you.

My problem is ****** really, I have a 30" waist, almost 21.5" thighs and 15" calves

Girls have told me that my posterior is delightful so we may be in the same boat. As long as my thighs and package fit the waist and seat eventually stretch out a bit and it becomes more comfortable.

for anyone here whos has the indigo/indigo, how heavy was the indigo bleeding off these? especially on the inside weft (?) I don't want my legs and underwear to stain from these

thanks

I have deep indigo, they do bleed a bit but you could rub the inside end of the pants with a cloth to get some of the indigo off. I only wear black and grey boxer briefs and I have not noticed any indigo on them.

My problem is ****** really, I have a 30" waist, almost 21.5" thighs and 15" calves

Buy Slim Guys in your size then have them professionally tapered.  It has more room and will work better.

+1. My deep indigos have large pocket bags but I can't get my hand in them even though the jeans fit perfectly and my black selvedges have the tiniest pocket bags.  A minor inconvience though since the jeans are so sweet.

how much would that cost, would it be difficult for a tailor to work on raw stiff denim?

My biggest complaints really is the crotch, will that stretch out enough? I of course do not mean the crotch itself, but the ass area is likely the culprit of the tight crotch.

If your balls are stuffed and hurting right now... pass.

very very important, the last thing you want is testicular cancer because you applied too much pressure on le package due to wearing raw denim.

Thanks Argentino. My plan for the length was just to cuff them, like in the last picture. I thought cuffing vs hemming was just a matter of preference, but is there something I'm missing about why you would hem these rather than cuff? Also, won't the length shrink once I eventually wash them? Sorry for all the noob questions. I appreciate your feedback.

I don't like stacking so I would have them hemmed, but if you like it go for it! :)

digga

Reaction score
I wear 32 in levi 514 slims (perfect fit). I currently wear NF slims at 32, they probably fit the same as 33.5 in levis.

These are definitely designed for the hip instead the waist, so my 32's are working out. Ideally I would of chosen 31's. I can imagine 30's working if I was going for the super tight thigh look.

514 and slim guy are both really baggy cuts (i only have the 514 personally) so I can't see sizing down 2 or 3 causing the rest of the jeans to be too tight.

i have a fully stretched weird guy 30 and a fully stretched 514 32 that i could measure if that would help, but i don't know much about the slim guys sizing.

Last edited:

sandan

Reaction score
514 and slim guy are both really baggy cuts (i only have the 514 personally) so I can't see sizing down 2 or 3 causing the rest of the jeans to be too tight.

i have a fully stretched weird guy 30 and a fully stretched 514 32 that i could measure if that would help, but i don't know much about the slim guys sizing.
I have both. I forgot to quote the post I was replying to.

I think the 514's are more tapered at the waist than the Slims (feel and look better higher). The slims are straighter in the hip/waist area.(feel and look better lower)

Did you go with wierd guys for the fit or selection of denim?

digga

Reaction score
I have both. I forgot to quote the post I was replying to.

I think the 514's are more tapered at the waist than the Slims (feel and look better higher). The slims are straighter in the hip/waist area.(feel and look better lower)

Did you go with wierd guys for the fit or selection of denim?

if you mean weird guys vs. slim guys, i chose wg for the fit. weird guy vs. other brands, denim selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads