• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mountain Bikes

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked aup a Specialzed Stumpjumper off Craigslist a couple years ago for $700, retail was around $1500 I think. Like cars, and older model will save money while still being a good bike.

Dual Suspension would just add weight and sap pedaling energy. The Stumpy was a good bike, aluminum, it was considered a cross-country race bike. You can also opt for smoother tires if you find yourself on the street all the time.

Eagle

Reaction score
I've had a Schwinn S-10 that I've been pretty pleased with. It's been a regular part of my "fair weather" exercise rotation for the past eight years. Good equipment but, Schwinn has gone downhill really fast (and not in a good way!) in more recent years.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe someone mentioned earlier that they use that tire Slime stuff. Anyone else have any experience with it?

I remember looking into it (just out of curiosity) a little while back and some people mentioned that it can throw off the balance of the tires a bit (because of added weight???).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Guess a good hardtail is my best option. I'm really not up to building my own bike.... just finding time to bike is already a problem nowadays for me. Keep the help coming, brothers.

Davidb2580

Reaction score
Do you really need a mountain bike? If you're really only doing streets and some light trails, a mtn bike might be over kill. I would look at the Gary Fisher Kaitai and the like. They call them dual sport bikes. Not as much suspension as a mtn bike, but a lot lighter and will be so much faster on the road because the wheels are bigger than a mtn bike. Or, you could look at the 29er category of bikes. Everyone seems to make them now. You could get one of them and put some lighter tires on it. That way, if you ever want to do some more aggressive trails, you have the bike.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in an area with plenty of weeds and thorns. After repeated flat tires I added green slime to my tires and haven't had a flat in two years.

Any impact on performance is by far offset with not having to deal with flats.

Originally Posted by Jumbie
I believe someone mentioned earlier that they use that tire Slime stuff. Anyone else have any experience with it?

I remember looking into it (just out of curiosity) a little while back and some people mentioned that it can throw off the balance of the tires a bit (because of added weight???).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you look into kevlar tires? They're not that much more expensive.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For light riding,
a2a_softride_ahead.jpg

Is probably all you need for most stuff. I have this on a fat tired hard tail and like it a lot. Ebay often has NOS of these. Came in two lengths 135 and 150 mm.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Why don't you look into kevlar tires? They're not that much more expensive.

Used to ride in new mexico and with all the goat heads, slime was a necessity.

User

Reaction score

I used Slime on my road bike, and I didn't notice any balance issues. However, it was a mess when the slime fail to seal the hole...

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Need some suggestions:

I'm considering getting a mountain bike. Nothing fancy, 90% of the time I'll just ride it around our very hilly neighborhood, and might go into very easy trails but I probably won't go beyond that. I've been educating myself with different bikes and from what reviews I've read, it seems Giant's Yukon FX is the top choice, but I'm not sure if I need the double suspensions. Should I just stay with a good decent entry level hardtail bike? And what models should I look for? Of course- cheaper would be better.

For what you're going to be using it for, double suspension would be overkill. Stick with a hardtail. You wouldn't even need a front shock to be honest. The shock suspensions add weight to the bike. As for price, depends if you have preference for a USA-made, European-made, or Taiwanese-made bike.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ride a 1990 Klein. Still a perfect machine.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I ride a 1990 Klein. Still a perfect machine.

1990 Klein for sale on Craigslist

lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/894689726.html

coopster

Reaction score
My first and only ride was a raleigh m20. It did everything i needed from it without breaking the bank (paid $250).

m20.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads