• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mountain Bikes

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised nobody has suggested a rugged version of a hybrid instead of a mountain bike. Reading your requirements, the Specialized Crosstrail sprung to mind. it's got the same aggressive stance as a mountain bike, but with reasonably wide 700c tires. Due to the higher angle of attack they'll roll MUCH better over pavement & hardpack dirt than any mountain bike, and with negligible loss of grip if the trail gets hairy. Think of it as buying a Subaru Outback instead of a humvee: much more efficient for 95% of what you'll do (this matters more when YOU are the engine).

Find a Specialized dealer and take one for a spin.

full disclosure: I worked in the bike biz for seven years, in shops and as an inside rep for a wholesaler (...not Specialized).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay just an update, I got a good offer on a slightly used Giant NRS. Aside from the nice price I got for this, and the upgraded parts included, is I am now open to do trails later on. Took a ride last night and the ride was sweet!

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta get one, keep riding this winter . . .

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Okay just an update, I got a good offer on a slightly used Giant NRS. Aside from the nice price I got for this, and the upgraded parts included, is I am now open to do trails later on. Took a ride last night and the ride was sweet!

Congratulations! That Giant will be a good foundation for you. The bike will probably do everything your original post suggested you want. Additionally, you didn't have to break the bank for a bike equipped with expensive options that you might never need. That savings alone might help buy some nice Edward Greens!

Just ride the thing regularly in health!

___

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Congratulations! That Giant will be a good foundation for you. The bike will probably do everything your original post suggested you want. Additionally, you didn't have to break the bank for a bike equipped with expensive options that you might never need. That savings alone might help buy some nice Edward Greens!

Just ride the thing regularly in health!

___

Thanks FC! The bike also has decent upgrades from what I see.... went around this Sunday morning around our hilly neighborhood and the bike felt good though I really need a lot of conditioning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads