• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Yes. Now I have to find some "beginner" off road rides to try it out on. Around town and highway though, it's awesome. I do think I'll have to change out the windscreen to a shorter one because it's pretty loud and I prefer having my head in fresh air.

What do you all think about windshields anyway? What is the point exactly? To keep your head totally out of the wind? To deflect water/bugs away from hitting your visor? To keep wind pressure off your chest? Having started out on bikes totally without them, I am not sure I understand why people like having them at all.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yes. Yes. Now I have to find some "beginner" off road rides to try it out on. Around town and highway though, it's awesome. I do think I'll have to change out the windscreen to a shorter one because it's pretty loud and I prefer having my head in fresh air.

What do you all think about windshields anyway? What is the point exactly? To keep your head totally out of the wind? To deflect water/bugs away from hitting your visor? To keep wind pressure off your chest? Having started out on bikes totally without them, I am not sure I understand why people like having them at all.

At speed, they enable you to ride longer with less fatigue. Also, for bugs and rocks.
The downside is, depending on the design and your height, you might get a lot of helmet buffeting. At least, that's that's what people have discussed before on Stromtrooper.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They only help for rocks (or heavy bugs) if you are looking through the windshield, which is a pretty big windshield. And I don't want to look through plastic while riding. So that leaves fatigue, and I'm totally unconvinced. I feel like unless the windshield fits me perfectly, it's going to make riding a hell of a lot more noisy, which to me is more fatiguing than holding myself up. Also, they often focus all the wind that would be hitting you in the chest/stomach so it's all hitting you in the face, which means your neck gets way more strained than it would. Overall, I can't see a reason to have one, unless I'm just missing out on the bliss that a perfectly-fitted-to-me windshield must be.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
From what I gather, it is entirely possible to, with a good shield, sit in a relatively calm pocket of air. In practice, I'm not sure how big a screen that would entail, but I think screen shape matters a lot too.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apparently the stock F650/Dakar windscreen is almost as bad as the stock 'Strom windscreen as far as buffeting and airflow for many taller riders. This might help: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Buffeting.htm

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I already swapped out to the short one and it's better. I may try mounting them both with a spacer in between to try to get some of the shielding benefits of the taller clear screen without too much of the wind blocking "benefits". I'll mess with it some and see what I can do. If all else fails, it's pretty good with just the short one.

emptym

Reaction score
Congrats!

When I first got my bike, I thought of getting one, but then heard it just deflects wind from your chest to your head, so I didn't. The only place rocks have bothered me is my shins and my neck if I'm not wearing a gaiter.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did the Mountain Loop Highway yesterday. Next time I will start earlier in the day... pretty dark and cold by the time I got down from the mountain. Still some snow at the top, but luckily not on the road.
bigfour.jpg
Mein neues Motorrad @ Big Four Mountain

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice bike!

Originally Posted by CDFS
Tomorrow, I'll find out that the first half of my licence exam will be canceled due to snow.

Ice, lots of ice.

sushi7474

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Well,
after riding whole days, I like the option to put my helmet-shield up and enjoy the fresh air without bugs and dust particles bumping my face :)

I installed a Wunderlich windshield on on my 650 GS and it does not create additional noise or wind twirls. I am ~ 6' tall, so this also might play a role...

sushi7474-moto.jpg

wasabi-rabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
since the fellow who posted the pic didn't chime in;

That's a Road King Custom

It's the nicest looking (cleanest...less chrome, bling, etc) of the touring line, so of course none of the chrome-shining chap-wearing pirates bought it and HD stopped making it.

I'm still paying off my current ride (XL1200R) and once that's paid off I plan on finding a nice used Road King Custom.

Celtic Gent - you are a man of wisdom. Thanks for chiming in in my absence.

Wetnose, Sorry to have not responded sooner...I was away.

The bike is indeed a Road King Custom. 2004 in fact.

Kudos to you Wetnose for recognizing that it's a Harley. Since I pulled off all the Harley bling (to include the tank emblems) people often ask me what kind of bike it is...

Kudos to you CelticGent for recognizing the model. You're obviously a connisseur of bikes that are meant to be ridden...

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sun came out so I took the bike out for a quick spin and to get some gas. 1975 Honda CB400F.
bike2kj.jpg
The exhaust was the only reason I wanted this particular bike. I'm glad my headers are in good shape because nice stock pipes are not easy to find and when you do see them, they're not cheap!
bike3c.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Suh-weeet... I bet that thing revs a little high.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Did not know there was a motorcycle thread on sf. I think I'll be on here a lot more.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by j
They only help for rocks (or heavy bugs) if you are looking through the windshield, which is a pretty big windshield. And I don't want to look through plastic while riding. So that leaves fatigue, and I'm totally unconvinced. I feel like unless the windshield fits me perfectly, it's going to make riding a hell of a lot more noisy, which to me is more fatiguing than holding myself up. Also, they often focus all the wind that would be hitting you in the chest/stomach so it's all hitting you in the face, which means your neck gets way more strained than it would. Overall, I can't see a reason to have one, unless I'm just missing out on the bliss that a perfectly-fitted-to-me windshield must be.

My understanding with windshields at least on sportbikes and for racing is that in a full tuck the windshield drastically reduces buffetting and wind resistance but for the kind of bike you seem to have, my guess is just for neck fatigue since you don't have to fight to keep your head from flying back and bugs and rocks.

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Picked up a white Brutale last week
smile.gif

*gasp* a brutale! That is my dream streetfighter bike. Such a sexy bike. Which one did you get? 910R, 910S, or the new 1078.

Originally Posted by Salad
The sun came out so I took the bike out for a quick spin and to get some gas.
1975 Honda CB400F.

The exhaust was the only reason I wanted this particular bike.
I'm glad my headers are in good shape because nice stock pipes are not easy to find and when you do see them, they're not cheap!

wow 1975, that looks really well maintained. Very clean. When did you pick it up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads