Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JonB27

JonB27 Senior member

Went on a nice ride this morning up Angeles Crest... LA is nice year around to ride!

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Needs a sidecar.

You're right. The ladies have been getting pissed that I could only ride one at a time.

3. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Recent ride over into the CZR. Got on kind of a back road (had to pee) and found this field. Normally, I'll pick someplace more private... But there were only cows watching. (None of them seemed too impressed with my equipment BTW)...

[​IMG]

Sigh, that's a gorgeous Harley. [​IMG]

What's the model called?

4. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^+1 Gorgeous Harley.

5. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Went for a good ride this weekend on my '71 Triumph. A little cold and foggy here in Northern California, but my bikes were built in "cold and foggy."

Here are my current bikes:

1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D

[​IMG]

1971 Triumph Daytona T100R

[​IMG]

1964 Norton N15CS

[​IMG]

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Went for a good ride this weekend on my '71 Triumph. A little cold and foggy here in Northern California, but my bikes were built in "cold and foggy."

Here are my current bikes:

1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D

[​IMG]

1971 Triumph Daytona T100R

[​IMG]

1964 Norton N15CS

[​IMG]

Lucky bastard -- enjoy your rides whilst us northerners freeze in the dark ... [​IMG]

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Great bikes!

I'm currently torn between the BMW F650GS Dakar (single) and the F800GS twin. For the price of any 800 I could easily get a Dakar with all the bags and guards and stuff already on it, but the 800 is so awesome looking, and everyone I've read has said it feels a lot better ergonomically. I need to go test ride one/both (the G650GS (which is almost the same as the older F650GS single) vs the F800). I feel a serious need for a more jeep-ish bike with ABS.

Can anyone convince me the F650GS single (esp. the single spark version) is going to be enough? It will be mostly on-road use but I'd like to be able to do gravel/fire roads/etc. Probably not serious trail stuff for a while.

8. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Can anyone convince me the F650GS single (esp. the single spark version) is going to be enough? It will be mostly on-road use but I'd like to be able to do gravel/fire roads/etc. Probably not serious trail stuff for a while.
    j. I haven't had the chance to ride the 800, but that 650 single is gutless. I had one as a loaner for a couple of days, and I didn't like it one bit. In addition to its lack of gusto, it felt cheaply made. A sin for BMW. I tend to err on the side of having more power than I need, so my vote would be for the 800. A buddy of mine works at the local Beemer chop, and was raving about it.
    ...but the 800 is so awesome looking...
    I think you answered your own question here. As much as we would like to sing the praises of our bikes as being "green" or practical or whatever, it really comes down to a visceral thing. Go with the 800.

9. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Can anyone convince me ...

Want me to lie to ya?

While I tend to love acting like a jackass on underpowered scoots, I have a feeling you'd appreciate the power the 800 brings as opposed to the 650's powerband. Both will do anything you want, but the 800 will bring more smiles while doing it.

Besides, seems like you've been talking about that 800 for quite a while now...? You wouldn't be happy otherwise, go with what you want.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Grrrr... it's like $5k more at least (with all the gear), and used ones are hard to come by. Really tempted to live with the 650 until I can figure out how I'll use it. But yeah, the 800 has had me since before it was available.

11. Col.

Col. Well-Known Member

Can ride all year round down under

A recent pic taken by a local photographer on one of my bikes

[​IMG]

12. sushi7474

sushi7474 Well-Known Member

I ride the F650 GS (thumper, twin spark) and must confess the bike is very well made and really reliable. The bike is fairly swift (single rider, full luggage, constat riding at 90 miles/ hour) and very nimble in a more challenging terrain.
    As for the reliability and quality issues of F800 GS, better check other forums (http://www.gs-forum.eu/index.php or http://www.advrider.com/forums/ ), but it seems BMW did not pay that much attention as one would expect for such an expensive bike.

I do not know what was your previous experience with bikes, but for a mid-beginner, the 650 GS is a great bike. On an additional note, the Dakar version keeps a very high resale value...

13. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Can ride all year round down under

A recent pic taken by a local photographer on one of my bikes

[​IMG]

I love white sportsbikes, I'm so itching to buy one, but I drive like a maniac in a car and the people in my life who love me recommend me not owning a bike. [​IMG]

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I love white sportsbikes, I'm so itching to buy one, but I drive like a maniac in a car and the people in my life who love me recommend me not owning a bike. [​IMG]

Supposedly, this is the number one thing being said to bike owners.