• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Doughboy
laugh2-smiley.gif

I've got some decent boots for you. Some are actually somewhat safe while other are safe at 1940's speeds

Alpinestars Nero Articolo Boots

A little funky looking but a couple of you well dressed bastards could pull them off. Stylish yet safe.

Articolo 80 Alto Goretex

2010-Alpinestars-Articolo-80-Alto-Gore-Tex-Boots.jpg

Articolo 76 Goretex

2009_Alpinestars_Articolo_76_Alto_Gore-Tex_Boots_Black.jpg

Articolo 80 Sportivo

2009_Alpinestars_Articolo_80_Sportivo_Boots.jpg

Icon Elsnore Boot for those that are chanelling their inner Mad Max

ElsinoreBootBrownFront-599x610.jpg
ElsinoreBootBlackFront.jpg

Dainese Anfibio Cafe Boot

A traditional workboot looking riding boot that is actually kinda of safe (once the laces are tucked away that is). And because I am a gear snob as well as a Dainese fanboi, I heartily approve of this boot
retro-motorcycle-boot.jpg

classic-motorcycle-boots.jpg

Dainese Stivale Longbow D-Wp

More of a touring boot which should also make it pretty good for commuting in as well. You won't ever catch me wearing these things because I refuse to wear old man shoes.
1795143_001_F_S.png

894e44fa4c0d_zps215c6ffe.jpg

4dcd1b1d5e4c_zps20453356.jpg

ebbd2c9e1972_zps78f53f1c.jpg

Vitesse Boots

They're French, they provide a surprising amount of protection and they are stylish. Both of these boots feature similar amounts of protection although full leather is probably a little tougher than waxed canvas.

vcockpittech-600x197.jpg

Full catalogue

Vulcan

vitesse-boots-vulcan-lg-01.jpg
vitesse-boots-vulcan-lg-02.jpg
vitesse-boots-vulcan-lg-04.jpg

vitesse-boots-vulcan-lg-05.jpg
vitesse-boots-vulcan-lg-03.jpg

Glove

vitesse-boots-glove-lg-01.jpg
vitesse-boots-glove-lg-02.jpg
vitesse-boots-glove-lg-04.jpg
vitesse-boots-glove-lg-05.jpg
vitesse-boots-glove-lg-03.jpg

Hunt

I like these and plan on getting them after I get a pair of Dainese Axial Pro In boots. Look great for casual slower paced rides (read: riding to the store, a bar or Starbucks)

vitesse-boots-hunt-lg-01.jpg
vitesse-boots-hunt-lg-02.jpg
vitesse-boots-hunt-lg-04.jpg
vitesse-boots-hunt-lg-05.jpg
vitesse-boots-hunt-lg-03.jpg

Lewis Leathers Boots Not the safest boots by 2013 standards (or even 1980 standards) but by far the coolest looking of the bunch. If you were to find yourself posted up at your neighbourhood Starbucks sipping on an iced latte whilst watching the people who were watching your immaculate Ducati, they would look excellent on your feet.

boo-w10-1_2.png

Lewis Leathers Motorway Boots

boo-191_2.jpg

boo-178_2.jpg

boo-177_2.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. I used to have a '73 (I think) RD350, an earlier air cooled version.

By the time I understood the "specialness" of 2 strokes they were all gone. I was in a bookstore one day and saw a heavily modded RGV250 in a Brit rag. They put a RG500 motor in it, then added the swingarm, front and rear suspension, wheels and brakes from a 07 gsxr 750. Did I mention they also added the gsxr fairing as well? 2 pipes came out under the seat and 2 more on each side: that thing was friggin beautiful!

RGV250M.jpg

It takes a lot of balls, spare time, energy, aggravation and money to take an old bike and bring it up to modern specs turning something like this

RD500LC84.jpg

Into something like this

53565.jpg

I also had a S2r 1000, again a two valve air cooled version.

I saw a liquid cooled Monster that I fell in love with. That QD exhaust is sexy to me. I figure if you have to own 1 Duck, it might as well be a Monster. And why not a Testastretta powered Monster? It might have more plumbing than the air cooled models but it also has more punch.

3371316914_08164a56fc_o.jpg

That all being said I'll probably end up with a streetfighter
laugh1-smiley.gif

The other day I was watching TV episodes of Shazam on the YouTubes; 70's TV was such ****.

I remember waking up to watch Shazam on Saturday mornings. It was corny as hell but it was better than nothing

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score
Anyone able to date this Honda MX jersey? Odd color scheme, can't quite figure out what years it might be. Vintage Hondaline.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isle of Man TT: The ultimate test of manhood. Going flat out through little ass villages with curbs..err..kerbs, stone walls, metal fences, etc...You have to be a madman to do it. Needless to say this is not on my bucket list. Hell - I don't think I even have the balls to be a spectator!!!

The TT is coming!!!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cloth jacket fitting from Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. I'm having them copy a vintage TT Leathers jacket but add in Forcefield armor in the back, shoulders and elbows along with some other design modifications:

8480067654_bae63b3875_b.jpg

8478976817_76e1cd4260_b.jpg

8480067504_39f405005c_b.jpg

8480067492_3476166286_b.jpg

Bump. My jacket is done and is on its way!

8699728864_95cdbc4e18_z.jpg

8699729118_b282faee35_z.jpg

3.75-4oz naked cow hide with Forcefield armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that looks incredible man. Well done.

I am agonizing over what jacket I want and what features. Armor? Lots of venting?

$1k Langlitz in cowhide? Lost Worlds or Aero in horsehide? $500 Fox Creek new? Used Vanson or Schott for $200-300? TOJ horsehide for $850?

I like horsehide for the weatherproofing, but I've read so much on the horsehide vs. steer/cowhide, and it seems to come down to leather source and selection more than type. And you can always weather-proof cow with products I guess.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
toj is the most baller of those options (although you gotta budget a bit more for the armor since you have to buy it yourself).

Although, just remember the D3O armor is super slim but not quite as good as some CE armor.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toj is the most baller of those options (although you gotta budget a bit more for the armor since you have to buy it yourself).

Although, just remember the D3O armor is super slim but not quite as good as some CE armor.

I'm apprehensive about plunking down TOJ money because of quality ambiguity from an internet-startup, and that they are more a fashion brand than a dedicated motorcycle jacket company.

Everyone says it's top notch, but do they know what they're looking at/for,

Are the seams going to rip apart in a slide? Have the jackets held up for decades like the other makes? Do the sleeves move appropriately for riding position? Will they be around for another decade or two if I need repairs? Will provisions for armor be placed and sized appropriately?

If you have any in-depth reviews, I'd love to read them. I couldn't find much about the quality with a quick search other than "it's great!", and that primarily coming from 20-year-olds that may have no other basis for comparison (maybe that's unfair, I'm only 28 myself).

The leather on their jackets undoubtedly looks amazing, and the hardware checks out. But, there's no risk in my mind on the other brands as they're pretty established and reputable by a large consumer base.

I hope that doesn't come off as an attack on TOJ at all, just that I would appreciate some more feedback before making a decision. If you can offer up any, I'd appreciate it, or maybe not, as it might sway me to plunk down the proper funds to cop
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno...my TOJ seems nicer than my BMG Montana motorcycle jacket (although the BMG is fairly inexpensive).

I imagine the TOJ made of calf or horse instead of lamb would be just fine for some riding.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the first thing you need to decide on is armor vs no armor. That will help you narrow down your options.

Re: TOJ, I have zero experience with them but I decided to go with a maker who had experience with Moto jackets as I thought it was important re: construction and fit.

I'm guessing you've done a lot of browsing on the Fedora Lounge re: Aero, etc??!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got the kz400 out yesterday. First things I need to do are change the oil and get some new tires.

What should I look for in tires? I'm at 110/90-18 rear and 100/90-18 front (although the tires from when the bike was new were measured in inches). I always see the Dunlop D404 mentioned for older bikes like this...should I just go with that?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mesh summer riding jackets: Necessary evil or waste of money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads