1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Great idea. Put knobbies on a $20000 street bike and ride it in dirt. No way you will ever lay it down and scratch the shit out of all that plastic.

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

It can be made roadworthy again by simply doing a wheelswap and removing the skidplate. A lot cheaper than what Roland Sands did to that $80,000 Desmosedici

[​IMG]

plus

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

It's plastic, it can be replaced. Maybe not something to do if you can't afford to. Plus it looks like a lot of fun and that is really what motorcycling is about.

Don't get me wrong, I am still thinking an MTS1200 is the way to go... But this makes me think, what about an HP4...

5. otc

otc Senior member

These guys just got a lot of publicity for their shop.

For something that really wasn't that expensive...using some wheels and tires they already had, re-purposing the cast off stock exhaust, and playing with the stock forks and suspension.

Repainting the whole thing was probably the most work...

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Its such a stupid build

Dont you need leverage in the dirt... how do you control it in the fetal position

That Roland Sands bike pisses me off too. What a waste

1 person likes this.
  7. Steve Smith

Let me guess, you have never ridden in the dirt.

For many reasons, that bike is completely unsuitable for that task. It is a poser bike which is impressive to poser wannabees who know absolutely nothing about that kind of riding.

8. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I'm having such a hard time deciding what color to get my street triple r in. I am leaning towards crystal white, fully dressed. Matte graphite is sexy and more refined looking. But then there's black. Good old sexy black.

9. SplasH

SplasH Active Member

Once you go black...

Just don't get it white. It's such a pain to keep it clean....

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Is it the white with the blue triumph decal? I like that one...

Also - you keeping your cruiser?

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

For this bike, black looks the best to me, and it ain't even close...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

First, don't be a douche.

Second, I am not saying it is a match for my old KLR or even my MTS, but the guy rode it in the dirt, didn't have any real issues, and in fact said it proved more capable than he was expecting (and claims it actually managed to get places the other bikes had problems with).

So basically it would work for fire trail riding.

13. Steve Smith

Fire trails? What kind of bike won't go on fire trails? (Answer: Any bike can ride fire trails) To say that bike gets to places that other bike had problems with.. Sure, it will go places that a Harley Road King with street tires won't go so I guess that is correct.

I can use a machete to cut my steak at dinner, but that doesn't mean "That's what dining is all about".

Or I could put drag slicks on a Prius, but that doesn't mean "That's what driving is all about".

That bike is a street bike with knobbies, which greatly degrades its street capabilities, taking the dumbassity of it to an even higher level. It doesn't do anything well, except to look cool to know-nothings.

14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

My car is black and let me tell you, I've never had anything so hard to keep clean. I thought white was supposed to be way easier...

See mario's STriple color post. Yeah I'm torn about keeping my Speedmaster. After all the customization. The blood sweat and tears. I would hate to just get rid of it. Last season alone I spent, like, a grand on mods and hours upon hours of wrenching. But I'd pay off the Street so much faster with an extra 4-5 grand to start with... And I have a feeling that once I get a taste of performance like that, I wouldn't ride the cruiser too often anyways.

The black is sexy as hell. But the MFG pics of the gray don't do it justice...
    [​IMG]

15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

That does look pretty good.

For me it depends what you're going to do to it.

If you're going to keep it mostly stock, the gray looks more sophisticated/mature. I like it.

If you're going to put an exhaust on it, or any other sort of conspicuous modifications, I think that'd ruin what the gray has going for it, and be better served on the black.

All IMO, of course.

I love white on cars/bikes, just not in this case.

I'd certainly take any of the three [​IMG] The bugeyes do look better with the windscreen.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

You seem to be pretty worked up about it... As if a motorcycle was about practicality at all anyway.

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

i still like the white especially with the red accents.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  18. epb

epb Senior member

Practical is a quality judged on a scale, not an absolute. Just as a Dodge Caravan is more practical and an Ariel Atom or Morgan Plus4, some bikes are more practical than others.

19. epb

epb Senior member

Just curious: I bought a new textile jacket last spring (my first mesh) and this week bought a new leather riding jacket. What was annoying about the textile, noticeable now, is that it fit perfectly without the liners but was snug and looked puffy with the waterproof and cold-weather liners. With the leather, knowing it came with a winter liner and that I'd likely want to layer it (I ride all winter, Chicago weather be damned!), and after the experience with the textile, I went up a size and it fits perfectly with the liner, bit large without. I can't recall having to size up on motorcycle jackets in the past, but my old jacket's been around since the turn of the century. Is that common now?

20. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Could be a number of factors. Different manufacturers have different fits (Euro vs. American cuts) and I'm also guessing less care/focus was put into the fit of the textile jacket with the liners since it's designed to be a warm weather jacket.