Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Congratulations on the test. Downshift is so that once you affect your own stop, you can immediately get the f*ck out of the way from whoever was behind you who may also be panic braking also.. Worry later is acceptable in a car, since you've got the trunk and backseat between you and the guy who was behind you, a luxury you don't have on a bike. Why I always check my mirrors every 10 seconds or so so I know who/what's behind me and how close they are..

Very true -- spacing behind you is crucial because your stopping power will be so much better than cars and that can get you into trouble.

I also habitually double-tap my brakes before regular braking/and or gearing down in hopes of getting the attention of the driver behind me.

2. intent

intent Senior member

I also habitually double-tap my brakes before regular braking/and or gearing down in hopes of getting the attention of the driver behind me.

Me too.

3. Big A

Big A Senior member

Very nice, I've always liked those damn bikes. They are the epitomy of the no bullshit, straight up classic American motorcycle. The bike that got me intrigued about Harley Davidsons in general was a black Nightster. I saw it in the window of the dealership and thought wow, Harley Davidson makes bikes that look like that?? Sweet bike, you'll need to ride that down my way one of these days..
    I am (or was) the furthest thing from a Harley fan you can find without being an active hater. The 1950's engine tech, the cheap components, the underpowered, over-torqued tuning, absurdly high gearing (to hide said hp deficit) etc. - it was all kind of ridiculous to me. However, in the last few days I've become a convert. The ride of the Nightster is a little too retro for my back at the moment, but I think after a suspension upgrade it will be my primary ride, despite the fact that the Bonne is a better bike by nearly every objective measure. The Harley is just fun to ride. Somehow the whole is far more than the sum of the parts, and it has nothing to do (for me) with the HD "mystique," as I could care less about identifying with fat, white-collar middle-managers on chromed out Road Kings . . . . [​IMG]

4. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about purchasing this same bike [​IMG] the wrapped pipes look hella shweet!

random question, how many mpg do you get?

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I am (or was) the furthest thing from a Harley fan you can find without being an active hater. The 1950's engine tech, the cheap components, the underpowered, over-torqued tuning, absurdly high gearing (to hide said hp deficit) etc. - it was all kind of ridiculous to me.

However, in the last few days I've become a convert. The ride of the Nightster is a little too retro for my back at the moment, but I think after a suspension upgrade it will be my primary ride, despite the fact that the Bonne is a better bike by nearly every objective measure. The Harley is just fun to ride. Somehow the whole is far more than the sum of the parts, and it has nothing to do (for me) with the HD "mystique," as I could care less about identifying with fat, white-collar middle-managers on chromed out Road Kings . . . .

Welcome to the dark side my friend. I started out with a Sportster and of course, the rest is history.. Seriously, the roads up around the Smokies make for some seriously nice riding, you in sometime this summer?

6. Big A

Big A Senior member

I'm thinking about purchasing this same bike [​IMG] the wrapped pipes look hella shweet!

random question, how many mpg do you get?

No idea, honestly - the first thing I do with any bike is open the pipes, cut open the airbox (or in this case, put a huge breather on), and either re-jet or re-map for maximum top end speed. Thus, my MPG figure is not representative of your average Nightster. My Bonneville, for example, does about 20% worse than stock because it's got 140 jets and drag pipes

I will figure it out on my next refill and report back. The HD is probably closer to typical than the Bonne.

7. Big A

Big A Senior member

Welcome to the dark side my friend. I started out with a Sportster and of course, the rest is history.. Seriously, the roads up around the Smokies make for some seriously nice riding, you in sometime this summer?

Definitely . . . I'm actually thinking of heading to the Asheville area tomorrow. I jacked up the preload two notches and the rear suspension got much better. Still not exactly comfortable, but not terrible.

I honestly don't think I'll ever be a heavy cruiser guy, it just isn't my style. I used to race so I like to haul ass (sort of, I'd be hauling a lot more ass on a Hayabusa or something - I really like to take slow bikes and go as fast as possible). Big twins feel like dump trucks to me.

8. sonomadrifter

sonomadrifter Active Member

[​IMG]

Beautiful bike (Not to mention the 4 door M).

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I am (or was) the furthest thing from a Harley fan you can find without being an active hater. The 1950's engine tech, the cheap components, the underpowered, over-torqued tuning, absurdly high gearing (to hide said hp deficit) etc. - it was all kind of ridiculous to me.

However, in the last few days I've become a convert. The ride of the Nightster is a little too retro for my back at the moment, but I think after a suspension upgrade it will be my primary ride, despite the fact that the Bonne is a better bike by nearly every objective measure. The Harley is just fun to ride. Somehow the whole is far more than the sum of the parts, and it has nothing to do (for me) with the HD "mystique," as I could care less about identifying with fat, white-collar middle-managers on chromed out Road Kings . . . .[​IMG]

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

h8ers gonna h8

11. Big A

Big A Senior member

h8ers gonna h8
    Indeed, though I understand the sentiment.

12. Panofsky

Panofsky New Member

Hi,
    Been a huge motorcycle fan for years and finally I'm ready to buy the new Ducati Monster: absolutely stunning!!

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Took "the flying brick" into work today (which I only do about once or twice a year). [​IMG]

14. intent

intent Senior member

My bike just died in the middle of the road on my way home from work yesterday. Luckily, I remained calm, steadied myself despite the swerving from a stuck rear tire, put the bike in neutral and coasted to the side of the road.

I can't figure out what happened so the shop is going to have a go.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Well put up the Multistrada on craigslist today... sad to see her go. But I can't imagine having a motorcycle in NYC.