Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. sonomadrifter

sonomadrifter Active Member

[​IMG]

I dont think I am going to finish the bike so quickly now.

I stumbled upon this photo and it is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I think I'll start working on a tank this weekend if the rain cancels my track day!

[​IMG]

Does ANYONE have ANY information on this work of art?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Noice, I don't know much about Hondas but it doesn't really look like there is that much custom work there to me.

3. ken

ken Banned by Request

[​IMG] Does ANYONE have ANY information on this work of art?
    Lots of people use rear sets from newer sport bikes. You could probably locate some from a CBR or GSXR. You'd probably have to fab your own shafts. Also looks like the rear suspension mounts have been moved forward on the frame (looks like the rear ones have yet to be cut off, actually).

4. ken

ken Banned by Request

On the road. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sonomadrifter

sonomadrifter Active Member

Lots of people use rear sets from newer sport bikes. You could probably locate some from a CBR or GSXR. You'd probably have to fab your own shafts.

Also looks like the rear suspension mounts have been moved forward on the frame (looks like the rear ones have yet to be cut off, actually).

Rearsets, dual disc, clip on's, etc are all cool. But that tank and the frame mods are brilliant.

Im trying to figure out if its all custom or built off something else.

6. intent

intent Senior member

Is it weird that I don't want a loud bike? I'm looking to upgrade from the Ninja 250 but all I see are loud exhausts (factory or aftermarket). Any recommendations?

7. otc

otc Senior member

Is it weird that I don't want a loud bike? I'm looking to upgrade from the Ninja 250 but all I see are loud exhausts (factory or aftermarket). Any recommendations?

I also hate loud bikes...

I just had the second day of my motorcycle class which was the first one one bikes. It was a lot of fun...I seemed to be doing well. I can't tell if this is because a) I am not a moron (like a bunch of people in the class) or b) I can drive stick and am a semi-competitive cyclist so I know how a clutch works and am comfortable controlling a 2-wheeled vehicle at 20 mph.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

So rode home in some biblical proportions rain, and took the opportunity to clean up my bike when the sun came out..

[​IMG]

9. slider07

slider07 Well-Known Member

Let's say you are having a mid-life crisis and can't afford a third, fun, fast, car and have always wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. After lessons, what would make a good first motorcycle for someone? Seriously considering it and looking for helpful ideas on first bikes.

thanks!

10. intent

intent Senior member

Let's say you are having a mid-life crisis and can't afford a third, fun, fast, car and have always wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. After lessons, what would make a good first motorcycle for someone? Seriously considering it and looking for helpful ideas on first bikes.

thanks!

I don't recommend anything bigger than 600cc for beginners. Ignore all the haters. Starting with a smaller bike has given me valuable experience and compensates for beginner mistakes. On the highway you'll be just as fast on a 250 anyway (legally). Plus, once you have gained experience, you can always find another beginner to sell the bike to.

11. norcal_indy

norcal_indy Senior member

I just completed MSF training and will be heading to the DMV this week to grab my license. I've enjoyed reading through most of this thread and, like many, would appreciate some recommendations on bikes to check out as I'm starting my search.

Even though I just got my license, I've been riding for ten years but never renewed my M1 after moving to CA. I started riding on a Buell Lightning and then spent a few years riding a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail on weekend rides with my old man in Indiana.

I always thought I'd want another Harley/Cruiser (mid-nineties FXR or something newer like a Dyna custom), but have been seriously considering something in the sport touring category.

In terms of budget, I could swing a new bike in the 15-20K range but would really prefer a gently used 1-5 year old bike just to save some money. I'm planning on using the motorcycle for weekend day/1-night trips with my wife (so comfortably riding 2-up + decent storage). I won't be doing any cross-country touring.

So far, I've seen/liked the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (and earlier 1100s), BMW F800 GS, and BMW R1200 GS. I don't care for the look of the front-end of the Ducati (not a big deal, though) and I'm not sure the BMWs are really my style. I feel like there might be some offerings from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. that are competitive?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other bikes I should check out? What about experience with the Ducati Multistrada or either of the BMWs?

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I just completed MSF training and will be heading to the DMV this week to grab my license. I've enjoyed reading through most of this thread and, like many, would appreciate some recommendations on bikes to check out as I'm starting my search. Even though I just got my license, I've been riding for ten years but never renewed my M1 after moving to CA. I started riding on a Buell Lightning and then spent a few years riding a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail on weekend rides with my old man in Indiana. I always thought I'd want another Harley/Cruiser (mid-nineties FXR or something newer like a Dyna custom), but have been seriously considering something in the sport touring category. In terms of budget, I could swing a new bike in the 15-20K range but would really prefer a gently used 1-5 year old bike just to save some money. I'm planning on using the motorcycle for weekend day/1-night trips with my wife (so comfortably riding 2-up + decent storage). I won't be doing any cross-country touring. So far, I've seen/liked the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (and earlier 1100s), BMW F800 GS, and BMW R1200 GS. I don't care for the look of the front-end of the Ducati (not a big deal, though) and I'm not sure the BMWs are really my style. I feel like there might be some offerings from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. that are competitive? Does anyone have any suggestions for other bikes I should check out? What about experience with the Ducati Multistrada or either of the BMWs?
    Bold = [​IMG] [​IMG] What about a Road King?

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I just completed MSF training and will be heading to the DMV this week to grab my license. I've enjoyed reading through most of this thread and, like many, would appreciate some recommendations on bikes to check out as I'm starting my search.

Even though I just got my license, I've been riding for ten years but never renewed my M1 after moving to CA. I started riding on a Buell Lightning and then spent a few years riding a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail on weekend rides with my old man in Indiana.

I always thought I'd want another Harley/Cruiser (mid-nineties FXR or something newer like a Dyna custom), but have been seriously considering something in the sport touring category.

In terms of budget, I could swing a new bike in the 15-20K range but would really prefer a gently used 1-5 year old bike just to save some money. I'm planning on using the motorcycle for weekend day/1-night trips with my wife (so comfortably riding 2-up + decent storage). I won't be doing any cross-country touring.

So far, I've seen/liked the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (and earlier 1100s), BMW F800 GS, and BMW R1200 GS. I don't care for the look of the front-end of the Ducati (not a big deal, though) and I'm not sure the BMWs are really my style. I feel like there might be some offerings from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. that are competitive?

Does anyone have any suggestions for other bikes I should check out? What about experience with the Ducati Multistrada or either of the BMWs?

I have an MTS1200. Coming from Harleys, I think you would like it a lot - v-twin, far more sporty, lightweight, etc. Especially for road touring, since it is slightly more biased that way than the BMW.

Coming from sportbikes, I wish it had a more forward position... And otherwise the bike is pretty much flawless. It rides well around town, it rides well on the highway, I haven't done too much off-road with it yet. The only mod I am thinking about doing to it is projector HIDs.

If I was going to do it again, would I buy another one? No. But only because I miss having a sportbike and would probably get an Aprilia RSV4 Factory or Vyrus 986.

14. ken

ken Banned by Request

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^ very nice, don't see many of those in the wild.. what year would you put that at?