• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most pretentious coffee/espresso drink ever

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The drip coffee is always burnt.

That's why we call it "Charbucks"!
crackup[1].gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's why I always like to go to a smaller, mid-sized coffee house in my area rather than a huge chain like Starbucks. Not only are the drinks generally better (although smaller self-owned coffeehouses can be hit or miss) they're regularly less expensive as well.

I agree...at work I usually hit up the deli and it is fairly good and they have regular coffee, vanilla or hazelnut flavored. Of course those random cousins who still send me Christmas presents have no burdened me with $100 worth of Starbucks gift cards.

My favorite coffee place is in Williamsburg and at like The Muffin Bakery or whatever...some yellow corner shop on Bedford.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My economics teacher calls the place charbucks...I thought that was pretty funny.

edit: amerikajinda beat me to it

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best coffee I've ever had in NYC are from those street vendors that dumps a big heaping spoon of sugar at the bottom, than fill the paper cup and add some cream/milk.

Something like $0.85. Very satisfying and very sweet. And I don't like a soft-wristed sissy carrying a "starbucks" cup.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The most pretentious coffee I was ever served was a cup of normal Joe at a Shinjuku coffee shop for about $8.00.

...and no refills.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The most pretentious coffee I was ever served was a cup of normal Joe at a Shinjuku coffee shop for about $8.00.

...and no refills.

You can order a $15 single serving French press right down the street in Vancouver. The beans went for $130 per pound at auction and are $135 per half pound retail.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
You can order a $15 single serving French press right down the street in Vancouver. The beans went for $130 per pound at auction and are $135 per half pound retail.

From the link it seems like some of the people were actually okay with that. You should go try it out and tell us if it's worth it.
tounge.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starbucks is pretty bad for having a burned bitter taste to their coffee, but conversely Dutch Bros has a horridly weak overly sweet cup of coffee. DB is gaining popularity at my school, but I cant touch the stuff. After anything larger than a small it felt like I was going to get Type II Diabetes.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
That's what I wanted to know... but, alas, it was just a normal cup. Welcome to Tokyo!
The cup might not be solid gold but it may very well be Wedgwood! Here's some pics I took at coffee shops while in Japan a few months ago:
dscn63863vj6.jpg
dscn6562aq1.jpg
dscn6552la8.jpg
dscn6556xgb9.jpg
I happen to think the $8 or $10 cup of regular coffee (no free refills, mind you!) is worth every penny, because you're paying for ambiance, service, atmosphere, relaxation, status, etc. etc. Some of the best customer service I ever had was in a Japanese Starbucks -- the young lady actually came out around from behind the counter to hand me my purchase as she bowed deeply and smiled warmly as she wished me ever so politely to have a nice day -- and you could tell she really meant it.
dscn73763gj0.jpg

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
there is no x in espresso

perhaps its Expressive espresso, sounds mighty pretentious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads