• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most pretentious coffee/espresso drink ever

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i once got it with the guy accidentally gave me the latte with non fat milk and it just tasted thin and crappy.

whole milk ftw. also like you, i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
whole milk ftw. also like you, i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...
I never saw the appeal of studying there either until recently. I have a small 14"x14" desk with stacks of paper inside a filthy 12'x9' apartment with a cat who won't shut up and I can't let him out cuz he'll run away. So yeah, coffee shops are quite nice in comparison, the only thing is that you have to pay for internet at Starbucks, which means I need to find an independent coffee house that gives free internet. I actually like the background noise when programming on my computer. I heard the other day some chicks both ordered the same thing, it was about 5 or 6 words long and it had the word "soy", that was all I could make out.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
How come practically every picture I've seen of the Asian girls they are doing the victory sign?

A friend of mine is in the Air Force and was stationed in Japan. He took hundreds of pictures with locals and I swear every single one of them had them doing the 'peace sign' with their hands. He said him and a couple of friends had a contest one night of who could get the most pictures of Japanese people doing the peace sign in photos. They all had 100+ in a single night.

mano

Reaction score
Gimme a double-double a sidafries anna choklitshake.

No pretension. That's what a real man orders.
smile.gif

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i never understood the people that go '"study" at starbucks. i cant even concentrate on a conversation inside one of those places...
There was a time in my life when I'd go "study" at Starbucks because I was desperate for some social interaction. It's not easy to actually get any work done. It certainly didn't make working on linear algebra matrix operations any easier.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
A friend of mine is in the Air Force and was stationed in Japan. He took hundreds of pictures with locals and I swear every single one of them had them doing the 'peace sign' with their hands. He said him and a couple of friends had a contest one night of who could get the most pictures of Japanese people doing the peace sign in photos. They all had 100+ in a single night.

I think the Japanese 'peace' sign stands for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I used to work for Starbucks in high school and college. As for most pretentious drink, I'd argue it's the Americano. Why? Because the only people who like it tend be be relatively knowledgable about coffee (at least relative to those getting mochas, frappuccinos, etc) and to those who don't know what it is (espresso + hot water) it sounds idiotic. Whenever somebody asks me what it is, they always look confused, and then quietly stupid for not getting it.

99% of the time I get Starbucks it's going to be an Americano, and I don't even consider myself to be particularly knowledgable about coffee. I like espressos, and I'll drink my coffee strong and black (on rare occasions I'll add a single sugar,) so Americanos seemed to be a natural choice for me.

Plus they're named after the bestest country ever.
tounge.gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Chantico - a 6-ounce cup had 390 calories, 21 grams of fat and 51 carbs. link

Oh sweet chocolatey Jesus. I use to put two shots of espresso in one of those and drink it on my break - I'd be bouncing for the rest of the day! It was the best drink ever. Couple weeks after they discontinued it I found10 pounds of the mix in the basement and took them home...so sad when they finally ran out
frown.gif

My name is Raven, and I'm an elitist asshole.

Just FYI, that comic's about mac-users, AKA 90% of Starbucks' demo.

With headphones and a comfy chair, you can cocoon yourself without being depressed, alone in your room.

itskub

Reaction score
If an Americano is a shot plus water, couldnt you just pull a shot for an extended length? wouldnt that basically be the same ?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
If an Americano is a shot plus water, couldnt you just pull a shot for an extended length? wouldnt that basically be the same ?
You could, but it'd be really gross.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could, but it'd be really gross.

It'd just be a regular espresso.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
It'd just be a regular espresso.
If by regular espresso, you mean espresso that tastes like swill, then yes.

totally epic

Reaction score
The two terms you guys are looking for are ristretto and lungo. And I'm not even a coffee snob.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny... I was just thinking about this thread yesterday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads