• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Wednesday is charity shop day. DoE youngster James, volunteer at Cancer Research, Perth, gets a sponsored No.1. Suits him!

:D

SoCalBoy

Reaction score

I saw a few two-tone/black and white shoes in the '78-'80 period. Usually Mod revivalists in loafers, badgers, 'Jam' shoes and Shelly's/Mellanddi bowling shoes. Never the brogues though, and never on a Skin. I can't imagine an original from the '60s wearing them. I guess someone might have. Way too flash. I suppose they might work on a bird.
Kingstonian's 'A bit Jools Holland' comment is spot on.

Never really understood why certain skins now a days wear two-tone shoes of those sort, not a good look for skin but on rude boys it looks ok.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing two tone shoes on a 2Tone fan let alone a skinhead (maybe they are on a 2Tone record cover somewhere but that was not real life). Spectator shoes are truly abominable, Kid Creole and the Coconuts stuff.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't remember seeing two tone shoes on a 2Tone fan let alone a skinhead (maybe they are on a 2Tone record cover somewhere but that was not real life). Spectator shoes are truly abominable, Kid Creole and the Coconuts stuff.

I agree with the reference but you've gotta admit 'Stool Pigeon' was a great track. Summer 1982 my first lads' holiday, Ladbroke's Holiday Camp at Caister near Great Yarmouth. DJ was playing that every night along with 'Night To Remember' by Shalamar! Golden days!

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I believe Bobby used to sell clothes to Kid Creole. When I first met Bobby he talked about him a lot. He also sold clothes to Tony Toni Tone, Echo and the Bunny Men, and the punk band 999.

Boston skinheads (at least the ones I know) seem to really dig 'co-respondent' brogues, but only the Dr. Marten or Gripfast ones. I'm thinking of doing a cherry red and white full wing with NPS using the micro fiber. See how people react to them here. We get a lot of the urban gentlemen that like the super flashy looking stuff. I think John Fluevog is one of the reasons people like that sort of thing in Boston.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Reaction score

I agree with the reference but you've gotta admit 'Stool Pigeon' was a great track. Summer 1982 my first lads' holiday, Ladbroke's Holiday Camp at Caister near Great Yarmouth. DJ was playing that every night along with 'Night To Remember' by Shalamar! Golden days!

You must be the same age as me. My first holiday with my mates was in a Caravan camp in Cornwall, Summer 82.
Irene Cara's Fame was Number 1 in the charts, and a fella called Shane from Birmingham won the Disco Dancing Competition

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You must be the same age as me. My first holiday with my mates was in a Caravan camp in Cornwall, Summer 82.
Irene Cara's Fame was Number 1 in the charts, and a fella called Shane from Birmingham won the Disco Dancing Competition

Haha spot on! Our camp had a dancing contest too. At that time I had no idea what Northern Soul was but the lad who won was wearing strides with narrow bottoms but very baggy round the arse so when he did all the spins they flared out. The bass player in the house band had a Wal bass like Mick Karn from Japan and showed me how to play slap style along to 'Southern Freeze' by Freeeez.

Fruitbat

Reaction score

What's the date on that?

Before my time obviously, but I'd hazard a guess at 68.
As far as I'm aware, there was a comparative lull in Bank Holiday hostilities between Mods and Rockers post 65, even though it was well over hyped in the first place, and Skins and Grebos in 69.
According to Pete Meaden, he knew Mod was over after witnessing the costal turnouts of 67 which reduced to a trickle.
Was the peanut label around before 68?
I always thought that was a street term that the press were unaware of.
Where's Brownie when you need him!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads