• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

catchourbreath

Reaction score
I bought a FP from The Merc around 1999/2000 which was one of the slim fitting 3 button models. Haven't seen many of those, save for those Japanese ones from a few years back. Also have a MiUSA FP polo from probably the 1980s, certainly more sportswear looking than fashion.

Stingy Brim

Reaction score
I should have known - don't think I have ever seen it.

It started in autumn of 1971 I believe so that look was spot on.

Funny then that Roger Moore is sporting a very high buttoned three button jacket all done up with narrow lapels - that would have been out of fashion by then wouldn't it?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny then that Roger Moore is sporting a very high buttoned three button jacket all done up with narrow lapels - that would have been out of fashion by then wouldn't it?

I recall that kind of look, but perhaps not as 'extreme', being worn briefly in 1971. My final mohair suit, which I ordered some time in late 70 / early 71, was close to that style.

By 1972 I think I am right in saying things were moving to wider lapels, 2B jackets with a much lower buttoning stance and increasingly wider trousers.

Last edited:

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
If Roger Moore's look was a little passé it might have been in keeping with Roger Moore's character, it was certainly in keeping with Roger Moore who from a Mod point point of view would have been a square when he was The Saint, despite the flash motor.

Stingy Brim

Reaction score
I recall that kind of look, but perhaps not as 'extreme', being worn briefly in 1971. My final mohair suit was close to that style which I ordered some time in late 70 / early 71.

By 1972 I think I am right in saying things were moving to wider lapels, 2B jackets with a much lower buttoning stance and increasingly wider trousers.

Actually, taking another look at Moore, his sleeves are too short as well, the whole jacket looks like he squeezed into it! Just like this:

f4c9de20f3ab843593241907aa73b54c67caf241.jpg

Inks

Reaction score
Lord Brett Sinclair's clothing was 'designed' by Roger Moore according to The Persuaders end credits. Would explain a lot.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
I note that Patrick Macnee - aka John Steed - designed his clobber for the Avengers series... the man was a legend and stuck it out until he died at 93!

I noticed his whistles often had no exterior top left pocket. :nodding:

His birds were something too. every one of them would get an 'audition'. :nodding::embar:

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I note that Patrick Macnee - aka John Steed - designed his clobber for the Avengers series... the man was a legend and stuck it out until he died at 93!

I noticed his whistles often had no exterior top left pocket. :nodding:

His birds were something too. every one of them would get an 'audition'. :nodding::embar:

1st Season (b/w) with Diana Rigg he didn't. 2nd season (colour) with Diana Rigg, they were designed by Pierre Cardin. The series with Linda Thorson he designed his own.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No answer to your above question M but after researching a bit I came up with these gems! I've always loved the fella but especially so now
1f60a.png

Now you've got me at it. Silly, I know, but I couldn't resist this pic of Wierdly Baggins with a Fender Telecaster (looks a bit like a 1992 '52 re-issue like mine). Rock gods with style gear have to be answered by stylists with champion rock axes.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Now you've got me at it. Silly, I know, but I couldn't resist this pic of Wierdly Baggins with a Fender Telecaster (looks a bit like a 1992 '52 re-issue like mine). Rock gods with style gear have to be answered by stylists with champion rock axes.

Bilbo or Frodo Baggins ?

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
MoM do you know the sartorial credits for the Honor Blackman series ? Also wasn't there a short run with Ian Hendry as his "partner in crime" (partner against crime ?) and no female ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads